New layout suggestion

• Hey everyone!

First off i have to tell you that i havent played this game cuz i just meet with it yesterday :D But i watched almost all gameplay/commentary videos on youtube + read a lot on forums …

As far as i know the controls look like this: (correct me if im wrong!)
    LMB - Right Swing, tapping twice allows you to combo them - Right Swing then Left Swing, and also you cant just start off with a Left Swing … you can only perform a Left Swing by using a combo which sounds absolutely nonsense to me … (?!) there is realistic feature in the game which wont let you swing your weapon through environment which is really nice but in some situations it will force you to use overhead attacks or thrusting attacks (some weapons doesnt even have thrust attacks as far as i know, which leaves you with one available attack which is incredibly predictable if you have some brain …
    RMB - parrying/blocking, also you have to look in the direction where the attack comes from which is a really nice idea imo!
    Scroll Down - Thrust
    Scroll Up - Overhead Attack (maybe i mix up the 2)
    Question here : Are you able to prepare your attacks by holding lets say LMB ?

Here are my suggestions how the controls should look like :
    LMB - Right Swing (simple quick tap = fastest way to strike, wind up weapon then launch attack straightaway, hold = wind up and prepare to strike then release to launch attack)
    RMB - Left Swing (simple quick tap = fastest way to strike, wind up weapon then launch attack straightaway, hold = wind up and prepare to strike then release to launch attack)
    Scrolling Up - Overhead attack (scroll up winds up the weapon, scroll down releases the attack itself)
    Scrolling Down - Thrust attack (scroll down winds up the weapon, scroll up releases the attack)
    Pushing in the scrolling key - kick
    Pressing LMB + RMB at the same time - (quick tap = feint, holding down = parry/block)
    also there would be a simple two key combo = LMB then RMB - Right then Left Swing or the opposite.

With this layout you would be able to do every single melee action by just using the mouse ONLY!!!

• i forgot to say that this game looks fantastic !! by watching the beta gameplay videos on youtube ive seen some minor bugs during gameplay + i dont really like the controls of the game thats the only negative for me, but im still gona pre-order it as soon as i can ;) :P

• Nope it doesnt work that way. You click and you swing, no hold and release

• @DeathwolfX03:

Nope it doesnt work that way. You click and you swing, no hold and release

this is a problem imo because of the timing … why cant you just start with a left swing :S or why cant you wind up your greatsword holding it up in the air, step two forward then swing … these are really nonsense :C

• I think holding attacks could be a viable addition only if you could only hold it for a brief period. As for the controls themselves, they’re being worked on, and you can always rebind keys.

• @SlyGoat:

I think holding attacks could be a viable addition only if you could only hold it for a brief period. As for the controls themselves, they’re being worked on, and you can always rebind keys.

well … holding attacks + letting you start with a left swing is kinda basic … id be very disapointed if the game wouldnt have that two features :C

• Oh, changing the direction of the swing I believe will end up making it in eventually. Tibbs expressed some interest in it because there was a lot of community approval when someone first brought up the idea.

• Developer

Held swings was tested, and unanimously voted against. It just doesn’t work as well in a game like Chivalry where the pace is so fast. We selected the control scheme we have because we wanted new players to be able to drop in and use right away. Mouse 1 = attack, mouse 2 = block. That is all you need to know for your first game, you can learn the rest after that.

We are looking at a way to allow players to start attacks from the left side, but it won’t come until after release.

• @Tibberius:

Held swings was tested, and unanimously voted against. It just doesn’t work as well in a game like Chivalry where the pace is so fast. We selected the control scheme we have because we wanted new players to be able to drop in and use right away. Mouse 1 = attack, mouse 2 = block. That is all you need to know for your first game, you can learn the rest after that.

We are looking at a way to allow players to start attacks from the left side, but it won’t come until after release.

Thanks for your answer :) I think you guys really should consider adding this attack holding feature into the game since its really basic imo … like holding your two handed above your head running towards the enemy waiting for the perfect time to strike … it would add another layer to the game, it d make you learn the reach and the speeds of every single weapon which is a big thing to master. I also understand that you want to make this game fast paced, but i think having this holding attack feature wont ruin the pace of the game it would only affect how the players clash each other.

• Developer

What Tibbs was trying to say we did more than consider it- we implemented it, and then unaminously decided it took away more from the game than it added. The gameplay felt better without.

• @sir_loin:

What Tibbs was trying to say we did more than consider it- we implemented it, and then unaminously decided it took away more from the game than it added. The gameplay felt better without.

Well, as i said i havent played the game so far, so i dont really have the rights to judge it, maybe its better w/o holding attacks … it just sounds a lil bit weird to me. Well if you’re going to have swings started from both sides + a few basic combos then im going to be pleased :P