Patch Release Confirmed Delayed because of Tournament.

• So Slygoat announced that the upcoming patch’s release has been delayed so as not to “interfere” with an upcoming tournament. Basically they don’t want to release it because they think it will be unfair to the players in that tournament to have to adjust to the changes being made.

But fuck the rest of us, right? To some extent I agree, I mean it’s not like a tournament could be rescheduled or anything, that would be IMPOSSIBLE, right?

Obviously you know my opinion on the matter, but what do you guys think? Do you think it is a sound business choice to alienate the majority of your player base to cater to a few? Do you honestly believe that a tournament couldn’t be rescheduled to allow players time to adjust to the changes being made?

Lastly, if this patch is supposed to be FIXING bugs, adding much needed BALANCE, and IMPROVING game mechanics, doesn’t it seem like the competitive community would want to WAIT for those changes to be implemented before engaging in a tournament?

• you sound upset

• @CRUSHED:

you sound upset

Thanks for your well thought out and informative response. Would you like to respond to the my last paragraph crushed? Why would you as a competitive player wish to engage in a less balanced, more bug-ridden tournament where game mechanics aren’t as sharp as they could be?

• The tournament is this weekend, and if we released the patch this week it would be on Friday, making it a simple 2 day delay if it ends up being any delay at all; the patch might not be ready this week either way. If we released Friday, this gives the tournament players no time to adjust their strategies and playstyles to the changes - and this is a cash tournament that Torn Banner is contributing to the prize pool of. It’s well worth delaying a single weekend in this case, I think. Rescheduling this late when a lot of people have already cleared up their schedules - and some even taken a day off work - to compete in the tournament would obviously not be an option.

I’m sorry to be so blunt, but you come off as very entitled in your post with your unwillingness to accept a 2 day delay. Obviously if we could’ve released the patch earlier, say a week or two ago, this wouldn’t be a problem; that’s more than enough time for competitive players to adjust to the mechanical and balance changes. But delaying a single weekend isn’t going to hurt anyone while it would greatly hurt the competitive community to release it right before, with changes to balance and game mechanics that could greatly favor certain teams over others and negate the weeks of practice people have had in the live version. This just seems like open hostility towards the competitive community, which I cannot understand.

• You can’t have a tournament just after a patch. You need to give everyone enough time to figure out how to exploit all the glitches and broken mechanics that get introduced with each patch.

• Yes and no.

• @SlyGoat:

entitled

• @David:

You can’t have a tournament just after a patch. You need to give everyone enough time to figure out how to exploit all the glitches and broken mechanics that get introduced with each patch.

[image:3nbun48v]http://i.imgur.com/VGNX2.gif[/image:3nbun48v]

• @SlyGoat:

The tournament is this weekend, and if we released the patch this week it would be on Friday, making it a simple 2 day delay if it ends up being any delay at all; the patch might not be ready this week either way. If we released Friday, this gives the tournament players no time to adjust their strategies and playstyles to the changes - and this is a cash tournament that Torn Banner is contributing to the prize pool of. It’s well worth delaying a single weekend in this case, I think. Rescheduling this late when a lot of people have already cleared up their schedules - and some even taken a day off work - to compete in the tournament would obviously not be an option.

I’m sorry to be so blunt, but you come off as very entitled in your post with your unwillingness to accept a 2 day delay. Obviously if we could’ve released the patch earlier, say a week or two ago, this wouldn’t be a problem; that’s more than enough time for competitive players to adjust to the mechanical and balance changes. But delaying a single weekend isn’t going to hurt anyone while it would greatly hurt the competitive community to release it right before, with changes to balance and game mechanics that could greatly favor certain teams over others and negate the weeks of practice people have had in the live version. This just seems like open hostility towards the competitive community, which I cannot understand.

Go ahead and respond to this if you will. I found it surprisingly odd that you chose to ignore it in the first place.

**“Lastly, if this patch is supposed to be FIXING bugs, adding much needed BALANCE, and IMPROVING game mechanics, doesn’t it seem like the competitive community would want to WAIT for those changes to be implemented before engaging in a tournament?”

• I did respond to that.

@SlyGoat:

Obviously if we could’ve released the patch earlier, say a week or two ago, this wouldn’t be a problem; that’s more than enough time for competitive players to adjust to the mechanical and balance changes. But delaying a single weekend isn’t going to hurt anyone while it would greatly hurt the competitive community to release it right before, with changes to balance and game mechanics that could greatly favor certain teams over others and negate the weeks of practice people have had in the live version.

Improving game mechanics and balance is still changing game mechanics and balance. Competitive players strive to perfect the most effective strategies - changing those strategies at the last minute would absolutely have an effect on the outcome of the tournament, there is no question about it.

• Bloody hell it’s a patch for a game… It’s hardly completely unplayable as it is at the moment.

I’m heavily against changing things in the main game purely for competitive players, but I don’t see the problem of delaying a patch for a small amount of time while a big tourney is gotten out of the way. It’s a couple of days! You really can’t wait?

• Honestly I’m glad I can spend my weekend playing as much Chivalry as I want without being interrupted by a mid-day patch or waiting for servers to update.

• @SlyGoat:

I did respond to that.

@SlyGoat:

Obviously if we could’ve released the patch earlier, say a week or two ago, this wouldn’t be a problem; that’s more than enough time for competitive players to adjust to the mechanical and balance changes. But delaying a single weekend isn’t going to hurt anyone while it would greatly hurt the competitive community to release it right before, with changes to balance and game mechanics that could greatly favor certain teams over others and negate the weeks of practice people have had in the live version.

Improving game mechanics and balance is still changing game mechanics and balance. Competitive players strive to perfect the most effective strategies - changing those strategies at the last minute would absolutely have an effect on the outcome of the tournament, there is no question about it.

So those “tactics” that you and Torn Banner have deemed as cheap, unintentional and unintuitive are going to be used in a tournament that TB has contributed pool money to? That sounds terribly hypocritical.

“So all these tactics you’re using are something we want to remove or completely change from the game but look, here’s $500 to the team that can use these unintentionally cheap and unintuitive tactics the best even though it’s a farcry from our original vision of the way the game was meant to be played…” -Torn Banner

Also, for the competitive community who spend thousands of hours playing, practicing, and communicating with each other, it is absurd to think they would have trouble clearing their “schedules” to postpone the tournament for a more balanced experience. The majority of these types of players have a ridiculous amount of time to spend playing this game.

On the other side of that coin you have the players who have other commitments that may only allow them to play on the weekends because of you know, jobs, families, etc. who in actuality are going to have to wait much longer than 2 days to be able to play the patched game. You could be delaying the patch for them a whole week or more if they can only find time to play on weekends.

To be blunt, I just find it oddly passive aggressive of you to be so dismissive of non-competitive players which I just don’t understand.

• @BobT36:

Bloody hell it’s a patch for a game… It’s hardly completely unplayable as it is at the moment.

I’m heavily against changing things in the main game purely for competitive players, but I don’t see the problem of delaying a patch for a small amount of time while a big tourney is gotten out of the way. It’s a couple of days! You really can’t wait?

I have no problem waiting ANY amount of time for a patch but finding out TB is prioritizing heavily one group’s interests over another comes off counter-intuitive to a maintaining a cohesive and all-encompassing community.

• @David:

You can’t have a tournament just after a patch. You need to give everyone enough time to figure out how to exploit all the glitches and broken mechanics that get introduced with each patch.

Sad but true.

• I’d be interested in people who are voting yes or no in the poll to post if they identify as a competitive player or non-competitive player to gauge which faction if voting for what. It looks like the majority of competitive players think my opinion on this matter is flawed but there seems to be at least a couple of non-competitives who think the same too.

• “I want my patch NOW, not two days after! Waahhhh”

/thread

• This tournament has been in the works a freaking long time. And its finally happening, and for it to be delayed anymore could be really detrimental to all clans involved. TBS has been catering to the general population more than to competitive players, because most of the changes in the next patch aren’t things clans are super excited about. So TBS is trying to make everyone happy. Two days isn’t asking that much to help get this tournament done right. Then after the tournament, clans will get a month(s) to learn about all the new balance changes and move on to the next tourney.

• I don’t play competitively, but I do play every day. While I would like to try out the new changes as soon as possible, I can also sympathize with the people who had set up a tournament before the patch was scheduled. On the other hand, like I said earlier, I can enjoy my weekend without having to deal with broken servers and whatnot.

It’s not really a big concession for TBS to make, and in a sense it is nice that they are listening to their players. You’ll find many other companies that don’t even tell you when a patch is due, much less consider rescheduling it.

• @Daiyuki:

“I want my patch NOW, not two days after! Waahhhh”

/thread

Nice intelligent response. Thanks for your contribution.