Shield Bashing Idea

• Just a thought, really. Not really a complete suggestion…

I’ve seen quite a few people complain that it doesn’t make sense that you can get hit from the front while bashing with a shield. Looking at it happen, it does seem really weird to get stabbed while you have a metal shield clearly thrust in front of you.

I know this is done for balance purposes, so instead I’m wondering if it would be too much to somehow change the animation to show the player as being more vulnerable whilst bashing. Maybe replace the current animation with something like a whacking animation instead?

• I actually think the shield bash should continue blocking. You have to get right up into someone to use it, which is where shields are most exploitable - and also makes it quite obvious when you’re walking into point blank range with your shield up, giving the enemy ample opportunity to move out of the way and hit you with a counter because of how vulnerable you are after a shove.

• @SlyGoat:

I actually think the shield bash should continue blocking. You have to get right up into someone to use it, which is where shields are most exploitable - and also makes it quite obvious when you’re walking into point blank range with your shield up, giving the enemy ample opportunity to move out of the way and hit you with a counter because of how vulnerable you are after a shove.

Then there’s that. That would also work.

• @Blindga:

Just a thought, really. Not really a complete suggestion…

I’ve seen quite a few people complain that it doesn’t make sense that you can get hit from the front while bashing with a shield. Looking at it happen, it does seem really weird to get stabbed while you have a metal shield clearly thrust in front of you.

I know this is done for balance purposes, so instead I’m wondering if it would be too much to somehow change the animation to show the player as being more vulnerable whilst bashing. Maybe replace the current animation with something like a whacking animation instead?

If they do an animation change, they should animate the shield wielder swinging their left arm from right to left (like a backhanded swing), thus exposing you toward the end of the animation. Then it won’t look like an attacker went through your shield.

• Shield bash should definitely continue to block it’s stupid if it doesn’t as well it should take more stamina to do so.