Vertical movement speed

• The change in vertical position of each player seems to be completely ignored when determining movement speed. So essentially, by going up or down hills, you just go faster. It makes distance nigh on impossible to judge when fighting on hills.

As an example, the stairs on the last stage of hillside are inclined at such a degree that as a vanguard at full sprint speed, my height position on the map changed by around 200 in 1 second, while the sum of the differences between the other map co-ordinates was 314, essentially giving me a movement speed of around 514 instead of the usual 314. The fact that people can change direction at any time, changing the rate at which they move vertically, is what makes distances impossible to accurately judge on inclines.

Does anyone else feel like vertical movement should be factored into movement speed or do you think it would make inclines feel too sluggish?

• I agree, but not sure how much work it would be to do.

Instead we could have different map areas with different speed multipliers. Not only coud stairs and hills be set up to compensate for the effect you mentioned, I also think it might be fun to be able to add swamp like areas or give the woods a multiplier of 0.9 or so…

• I really don’t want to smartass here (because you are right on the issue at hand Josh), but in your example your speed would be 372(=(314^2+200^2)^0.5). So its not as bad as you make it sound, but still strange that you get faster when walking upstairs.

• @Falc:

I really don’t want to smartass here (because you are right on the issue at hand Josh), but in your example your speed would be 372(=(314^2+200^2)^0.5). So its not as bad as you make it sound, but still strange that you get faster when walking upstairs.

I like to pretend I can go faster than dodge speeds :? curse you basic math!

But yes, when comparing my positions at times 17.338 and 18.338 on my test, I have ((21343.70-21057.88)^2+(5082.67-4918.32)^2+(3264.61-3060.15)^2)^0.5 = 387.95 with some expected error from imprecise frames

• The combat on different elevations generaly needs some tweaking. Right now it is totally OP to have the low ground because the other guy can’t reach you with a zweihander even if you are giving him a blowjob.