Those level 40+ Elitist scum…

• Now i’ve got your attention, you often hear about how this game has a bad community, and especially you hear negativity about clans from some angles. “Those dang clanfaggots. Killing the game they are.” or “The high level players are scaring away the noobs!” Etc.

Yet today, A Triumphant Crab plucked up the gall to ask each and every one of the level 40+s that were spanking him to high heaven in various FFA duel servers if they could help him improve, or give any tips.

Absolutely all of them did. Several were members of well known clans, others seemingly not. Despite me being a low level, and certainly in comparison: low skill - they all were nice about my ability for level: and more than that petty pleasantry - dedicated a fair bit of text to me in chat, whilst duelling me individually repeatedly and offering me good advice.

One guy, a presumably currently unclanned 49 - tutored me for over an hour! All I did was ask. I kept apologizing for taking up his time, but he was having none of that. Im an exclusive shielder - never gone without one, and after a little while his tack for improvement was to get me just using the secondaries with no shield - and this guy spent half an hour putting up with the boredom of me learning to parry properly against him guns blazing, against all manner of SOW mousedrag nasties. He must’ve been bored shitless, and it was tough love - but just a great gesture.

But i’ve improved a ton already from just that, and he says ‘anytime!’. Just went into a FFA server and my parries feel sharp and dependable already, whilst with a shield im more accurate than ever blocking, and i’ve improved noticeably from other things hes taught as well. I think sometimes a fair few people (not necessarily on the forums) get the impression that the clans (or high level players) are all elitist cunts, and I have previously sort of held that view myself tbh.

Couldnt have been more wrong. Love this community. My advice to all who really want to get better: get onto a FFA duel server, add the nearest guy that smashes you to bits as a friend and just ask him if he’ll help you out. Seriously, just ask! :). I was unbelievably surprised. You wont get that anywhere else, I think.

Made me feel good, wanted to post my community experience here, hence thread! :)

• Once someone on a server I was on asked for some pointers, to which a high level replied:
    ‘0x84 0xC1 0x14’
    (Now there’s some humour I hope some people will get)

But tutoring people is super fun, so I doubt it would’ve been that boring for them at all. Too bad most people would rather complain about how a high level seemingly exploits, rather than actually ask how they’re doing it.

• The players I fear the most down here are the ones not in clans.

Though many of them are one trick ponies. One class, one setup. I’ve seen some of them change class. And man do they falter.

Only really the clannies are good with multiple classes. Een then they have favourites.

• The hate against good players/clans which is spread in here by some trolls is just that: trolling. I have found that the behavior is way better in the game than in the forums. People are kind and helpful and I have seen WAY less flaming/insulting than in other multiplayer games, and I already have many years of gaming under my belt ;) Maybe the forums just need a votekick option ;)

I’m glad you found someone to help you so easily and I also have noticed it helps new players immensely, as I have tutored one of my friends myself.

• @Lann094:

Once someone on a server I was on asked for some pointers, to which a high level replied:
    ‘0x84 0xC1 0x14’
    (Now there’s some humour I hope some people will get)

I fail to see how access violations are funny :x

0xDEADBEEF

• There are plenty of good clan members/high rankers in this game, just like there are plenty of dickweed pubfags. In my experience it has been an even split, for every good clan/pubby there’s always an asshole.

Acting like every clanny or pubby are dickshits is just as stupid as claiming every clanny or pubby are saints. There is the notion that clans should have a better filtering system (i.e. not allowing assholes to join their clan) but it’s absurd to think that they can be certain about everyone’s past, present, and future behavior. A lot of my negative experiences with clan members happened when no one else from their clan was present. This may mean they only act nice when their clanmates are around.

Ultimately PEOPLE are solely responsible for their actions whether they be good or bad and it isn’t distinguished by whether you have a clan tag in your name or not.

Lastly, you shouldn’t use these forums as the de facto way to view this game’s community as it is more likely that the majority of the people that visit/contribute to this site are the more hardcore players. It’s like that with every game forum, so if you feel like hardcore Chivalry players seem to be the majority of the community based on their presence on the forum, don’t worry, there are plenty of more casual players out there too.

• The problem with the community is not the upper tier high rank players.

You’re taking the nicest, most respectful possible slice of the community (r40+ that hang out in ffa duel servers) and thinking that reflects the majority.

it doesnt.

It is incredibly flattering to have someone ask you for tips/training, even a dick isn’t going to be a dick when you’re telling them how big their dick is.

• It doesn’t matter if you’re a 50+ ranked clan member or a 0 rank first timer if you’re treating other players in this game like trash then you’re part of the problem. Dickheads are dickheads regardless of their rank.

You’re not saying all high tier are flawless individuals are you? That would be counter-productive to striving toward a more cohesive respectful community.

• Protip: Next time a good players is being a “dick,” think about who opened their mouth first.

• I recently played a CTF game where there was about 4 players just being generally abusive, all with capitalised LOTR names. Calling anyone who killed them nerds and whatnot.

I asked them to settle down with that talk or they will be kicked. They continued on, so I called a votekick on them and had them kicked 1 by 1, with a strong 70%+ yes vote by most of the server. Was great. The last one left before he was kicked hehehe

• @NabsterHax:

Protip: Next time a good players is being a “dick,” think about who opened their mouth first.

So another person implying that a person’s rank or clan tag means they are 100% respectful at all times….You’re not helping the community by asserting that rude obnoxious behavior is only relegated to one group.

There are plenty of “dick” players above and below rank 40 with plenty of evidence to support this claim. Good players and bad players have both shown that they can be assholes. Are you really denying this?

• @Sidewinder:

@NabsterHax:

Protip: Next time a good players is being a “dick,” think about who opened their mouth first.

So another person implying that a person’s rank or clan tag means they are 100% respectful at all times….You’re not helping the community by asserting that rude obnoxious behavior is only relegated to one group.

There are plenty of “dick” players above and below rank 40 with plenty of evidence to support this claim. Good players and bad players have both shown that they can be assholes. Are you really denying this?

Of course there are plenty of dicks. Everyone can be a dick. All I’m saying is that saying even something like “Rank40Guy, really?” when you die is enough to show that you’re obviously frustrated and bait for a bit of trolling.

There are obviously some people who take the game a bit too seriously sometimes and I think a bit of advice everyone could use, myself included, in online gaming is “lighten up.” If you start with the assumption that someone’s a dick then 99% of the time they will be one.

• Good advice. That is exactly where most of the problems with this community and other gaming communities stem from.

• Is it just me or is OP’s post about a positive experience and everyone else is talking about negative ones?

• @bada:

Is it just me or is OP’s post about a positive experience and everyone else is talking about negative ones?

Maybe because negative experiences are a hell of a lot more common?

• @Goden:

@bada:

Is it just me or is OP’s post about a positive experience and everyone else is talking about negative ones?

Maybe because negative experiences are a hell of a lot more common?

Or maybe they are far more memorable, than the mundane nobody says anything, everyone plays quietly together.

• @bada:

I think we’re trying to put things into perspective. The undeniable truth is that there are assholes in every population. Arguing that clans are impervious to exhibiting douchebaggery is just as silly as saying all pubbies are dicks.

As soon as people accept that whatever faction they belong to is not perfect and endeavor to root out those who try to erode this community’s civility, then progress will be made. If we’re not willing to accept these truths then things will either not change at all or most likely get worse.

• I always give newbies tips, for example: Don’t swing when you’re close to allies. Probably the one I tell most people, even level 20+ players might get this amazing tip from me.

Anyhow, if people ask about weapons or why they can’t do certain stuff or how certain stuff is done I usually answer them. I play TO 95% of the time though so I don’t really have time to show them how, not only that but i’m way to lazy to train people. But kudos to the people that do this.

• IMPORTANT POINT AFTER THE DOTTED LINE!

To clarify sidewinder - my original post was only passingly mentioning clans: just expressing how pleasant my experience of high level players in general had been from asking for help. High level players always includes clans, so they sort of pop up in the equation. Of course whenever the word ‘clans’ is mentioned some people seem to bristle - and this is why I deliberately didnt bother to name any names to avoid people posting: ‘‘yeah this guy that helped you is a actually dick btw one time he did this thing blah blah’’ and then turn into a ridiculous slanging fest.

And yeah, I kind of hoped this thread would end up a little more positive - so feel free to not hijack it. No-one said anywhere that ‘all high level players are saints’ or ‘all are dicks’, i was talking about one evening where I had a really pleasant experience: that I had 6 high level players so happily offer me their time. At no point did I say ‘all high levels are lovely people’, so I dont know where you got that from. Im not bashing you, I just think you might have got the wrong end of the stick about what I was saying - is all. :)

–------------------------------------ Drawing a line under this… ------------------------------------------

Maybe we could make a forum thread similar to the recruiting section of the clan hub where players can seek tutoring for specific things? The only limiting factor on some of the tutoring I recieved was individual preferences: one guy was super helpful, but was limited in how much he could teach me as he was mainly a spear user, given that I shield knight.

So, players could post - “Level 15 needs help with vanguard class. Prefers two handed swords.” along with steam ID. That way they get the ‘right’ teacher. Players who tutor lots could recieve community awards like a special helmet or something, to reward it a little and kickstart it: and it might help the community grow - allowing the newer players to get a foothold by being taught and making friends in the community. Perhaps if a link/note about the existence of the forum was added somewhere clearly in the game menus it would direct newer players to it to raise awareness: and grow the community a little more. It wouldnt take much effort, and I think it would be worth it for TB!

Thoughts? Even I’m definitely good enough to be able to teach newer players shield knight up to a certain point, and after the nice feeling it gave me, i’d definitely do it - and theres plenty others! This game has an abundance of high level players, and i’d wager a good number of them will be happy to teach a few players from my experience. Might as well use this to the ADVANTAGE of the community properly! :)

• I’m not 40+ (I’m not that focused on ranking up) but I do like to think I’m helpful and kind to new and veteran players. Here’s a secret: it’s way more fun to be nice and helpful to players then being a dick. If a player is in a clan it doesn’t change my perspective of that player, they’re just another player. Only they have a tag next to their name, people tend to underestimate themselves. It’s a very simple thing, if you’re being a dick to people, people are going to be dicks back. whether they are in a clan, or are ranked over 40 or 50, it doesn’t matter.