Unlock Systhem : Score Based, not Kill Based

• All in the title. I think It’s obvious that unlock shouldn’t just be about your kills accumulation but your overall score accumulation.
    Score take into account the fact that you are helping completing objectives in Team Objective mode. It also takes into account assist kills : cooperation with your team mates.

It’s safe to assume that You (Thorn Banner) want to encourage cooperative behavior, especially for the objectives. Therefore Unlocks must be score based, not kill based.

• I don’t think objective points should count towards unlocks because you can’t say that someone use the weapon in their hands to achieve those points. Only on certain weapons like thrown weapons, arrows and longbows should only assists and kills count towards unlocking because with those weapons you don’t get very many kills, no matter how skilled you are.

• I think it should count both kills and assists, not just general score. It doesn’t make sense that you should unlock a new weapon just because you pushed a ram while it was equipped - you should have to actually use the weapon.

• I like the idea of kills and assists counting because I find as an archer I get a lot of assists but not that many kills.

• Yeah but at the same time, it just encourage people to farm kills just to get all the unlock : don’t expect a lot of cooperation in the game if you make unlocks kill based.

It can potentially turn Team objective into a massive failure, with people running around in berserk mode, not caring about objectives, only unlocks.

• I think 2 assists should count as 1 kill toward weapon unlocks. If we’re going to do unlocks, then I think it makes sense to base it on dealing damage with that weapon category.

• @akarnir:

Yeah but at the same time, it just encourage people to farm kills just to get all the unlock : don’t expect a lot of cooperation in the game if you make unlocks kill based.

It can potentially turn Team objective into a massive failure, with people running around in berserk mode, not caring about objectives, only unlocks.

I’m pretty sure anyone who wants to just get a bunch of kills to unlock weapons fast will play FFA, because you get enough kills on a typical FFA game to unlock weapon every map or two.

• @SlyGoat:

@akarnir:

Yeah but at the same time, it just encourage people to farm kills just to get all the unlock : don’t expect a lot of cooperation in the game if you make unlocks kill based.

I’m pretty sure anyone who wants to just get a bunch of kills to unlock weapons fast will play FFA, because you get enough kills on a typical FFA game to unlock weapon every map or two.

Good point. Yet the temptation might be too big, even for people who deliberately choose Team objective. I say wait and see then.

• I see the point of the unlock system here as just a quick tutorial and not to overwhelm you with weapon choices, sort of forcing you to spend time with weapons and get a feel for the ones you like in a guided manner. I don’t think it really matters if someone wants to just power through it all in a FFA or just play LMS and slowly unlock stuff.

• The whole idea of unlocking the next “variation” of weapon is by using the currently unlocked one by killing, not doing objectives… At least I think, lol 8-)

• At least the assist kills should count for unlocks : it’s less frustrating and encourage players to cooperate, even when they are in the process of unlocking. Else it’S just a spam/zerg fest where it’s everyone for itself trying to get the most kills.

Also, it would help archer unlock much faster.