Who decides how to balance the classes/weapons?

• And by which criteria? Is it a bunch of high ranked and experienced players trying to change the game to suit their own playstyle? In the game they feint/mousedrag/delay/dodge/altoverhead and everything is fine as long as they’re first in scores or 10-0 in duels, but as soon as they start losing, they start threatening with the “next patch” (except if you’re playing the same class as them). I sure hope they’re not the same guys who are deciding what the patch will be. What makes them qualified to decide? It’s like asking a billionaire what the tax rate should be.

Assuming the goal is to make every class equally viable and attractive for playing, wouldn’t it make more sense to rely purely on statistics? A lot of players (especially high ranked) are too emotional and that makes it hard for them to be objective. Better to adjust the game based on statistical analysis, instead of how annoying certain classes/weapons/tactics are to a few high ranked players (who see any lower ranked player beating them as some kind of game breaking exploit).

• Nice try KILLBANDS

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Nice try KILLBANDS

I’m assuming you think I’m some other user. Even if I am, it’s irrelevant to my question.

• Do you have any specific concerns Besp?

• I tried to bring statistics in… it doesn’t work!

• @BB:

Do you have any specific concerns Besp?

My one specific concern would be that the emotions (well, one emotion - rage) of a few high ranked players would affect the direction of the game for the tens of thousands (?) who play. I’d feel better if I knew that tweaks to the game are based on some objective criteria.

@NoVaLombardia:

I tried to bring statistics in… it doesn’t work!

How come? It should be simple - get the number of kills/deaths/points for every class and try to get them to even up. I’m sick of seeing rank 40+ guys with 9-1 in duels whining how my class/weapon is op because I managed to beat them once. If guys like that get to decide how the game will be tweaked… I might as well uninstall

• @besplatan:

My one specific concern would be that the emotions (well, one emotion - rage) of a few high ranked players

Haha I wouldn’t worry about that too much. In the end it’s the dev’s decision on what to do no matter how many angry posters there are about something.

@besplatan:

I’m sick of seeing rank 40+ guys with 9-1 in duels whining how my class/weapon is op because I managed to beat them once.

Considering they’re complaining about it I wouldn’t say they were very high level ;]

• Purple-fonted fairies of goodness and light make these decisions. And you know you can trust them because they are all in clans, so there you go.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Nice try KILLBANDS

I think this is going to become the go-to insult on the chivalry forums. I’ve already been accused of being KILLBANDS 3 days ago.

• @besplatan:

I’d feel better if I knew that tweaks to the game are based on some objective criteria.

So you’d like for all proposed balance changes to have specific reasons attached to them, so we can see the criteria by which changes are made? Sounds pretty reasonable to me

• @BillDoor:

Purple-fonted fairies of goodness and light make these decisions. And you know you can trust them because they are all in clans, so there you go.

No clan tags for BB :3

• @BB:

Hell BB … you are a clan!

• @BillDoor:

@BB:

Hell BB … you are a clan!

I also have my own cult.

• We balance around our team lead, Tibberius Bane. Whatever he dies to gets nerfed and whatever he does poorly with gets buffed. True story.

• @SlyGoat:

We balance around our team lead, Tibberius Bane. Whatever he dies to gets nerfed and whatever he does poorly with gets buffed. True story.

Explains all the buffs

• @ChuckingIt:

@SlyGoat:

We balance around our team lead, Tibberius Bane. Whatever he dies to gets nerfed and whatever he does poorly with gets buffed. True story.

Explains all the buffs

xD

I hope you enjoyed your time as moderator^^

• @Falc:

xD

I hope you enjoyed your time as moderator^^

It was an honor to serve…

• @Josh:

So you’d like for all proposed balance changes to have specific reasons attached to them, so we can see the criteria by which changes are made? Sounds pretty reasonable to me

Yes, and I think the criteria shouldn’t be
    Well, all these high ranked guys who tend to play one class think some other class is op so it’s getting nerfed.
    The game experience of high ranked players is nothing like the experience of those other 95% who are less skilled, and their investment in the game and the competitive nature of clans makes them even less objective.

The devs can’t ask noobs to play the beta, get involved in the community and provide feedback, but by using match stats they can tell you if one class is significantly more useful than the others, and that’s the only metric they should use to balance the game. If a class is op, then prove it statistically, not by the level of rage you feel when someone of a lower rank gets lucky and beats you once.

• @besplatan:

Well, all these high ranked guys who tend to play one class think some other class is op so it’s getting nerfed.

That’s why they picked one top tier player from each class, both from NA and EU. To make sure one class doesn’t receive any more favor than another.

• @BB:

That’s why they picked one top tier player from each class, both from NA and EU. To make sure one class doesn’t receive any more favor than another.

Who picked? Is it one top tier player from each class from every clan? What makes top tier players (or clans) qualified to decide these things? They’re players, they’re invested in the game and they hate losing. Their playing experience is also vastly different from the other 95% of people who play the game. Asking high ranked clan guys to balance the game would tailor the game to high ranked clan guys.

My suggestion is to use statistics instead of emotions to balance the game. I understand it may be very frustrating to lose to a noob, but this game doesn’t belong to you guys.