Passive Block and Active Block

• I was thinking about how static the blocking system in AoC is, and I thought of this.

When simply holding the block button you perform a slight block which slightly changes the direction of the swing, although not really stunning the enemy. This also happens when parrying.

Active Block: While holding the block button, hit the same swing button your opponent is while he is attacking, this stuns them in the traditional manner and gives you a small amount of stamina.

• that would be the best fucking the ever!!! it would really make you have to be able to read the attacks better. and instead of just doing idiotic shield tap and stab you have to shield and click the attack where they are coming from and you block them and thats when the weapon is really shaking violently and causes your hands to hurt like a mofo which will prevent you from swinging again. and they are left open. but if its just a shield putting up right infront of them all its going to do is just slide right off of the shield and you can keep assaulting them. more skill = MORE FUN :D

• @Mr.Whippy:

that would be the best fucking the ever!!! it would really make you have to be able to read the attacks better. and instead of just doing idiotic shield tap and stab you have to shield and click the attack where they are coming from and you block them and thats when the weapon is really shaking violently and causes your hands to hurt like a mofo which will prevent you from swinging again. and they are left open. but if its just a shield putting up right infront of them all its going to do is just slide right off of the shield and you can keep assaulting them. more skill = MORE FUN :D

Yeah thats what I was aiming to do. My main objectives were: A, discouraging shield-tap without effecting stamina; B, give shielded players a way to counter Heavy Knights.; and C, make the shield more than an invincible barrier.

So what do you say, mission accomplished :mrgreen:

• Developer

I like the initial concept here, though I would say that parries should be kept simple as they require good reaction time to use effectively, I think your idea has great merit for the shield’s blocking system.

• yea thats true parry = hard enough as it is but i still want it to feel epic but meh i will still get yalls game (ps i get first dibs on the copy :D) lol jp jp if only

• Developer

What I was actually thinking might be neat visually, is having unique parry animations based on what attack is being blocked, so the first stage of the animation will always be the same, the player lifts his weapon up, but if the opponent tries to stab, the weapon will move to deflect it appropriately and that animation will be different than if the opponent is trying to land a slash or overhead attack. Functionally, this does nothing, but visually I think it could add some nice flair and make parry’s less static in appearance as well. Not sure we can confirm this feature though, its just a thought for now as it would require several additional animations.

• that would be great if the animation was different for every weapon :D!!! like for the heavy knight it should be something cool and badass cuz i mean he is a big meaty hulky guy. For him if someone is trying to stab him he should just have the ability to just smack it away from him with his hand. and a slash he just lifts up his hammer/axe and with the over head he just puts up his weapon as if hes about to stab someone on the ground. That would make me go fucking crazy. and for a Guardsman his parry for the stab will just slide it off to the side etc. let ur imagination run wild with the heavy knight so that when he parrys its like as if your going up against a monster that takes alot to kill him. and the weaker the class the faster and more agile the blocking looks and for the archers just give them weak blocks where they just look away and it hurts them. I love flair lol

• lol archer “block” is look away.

Seriously though, that’s a shit load of effort, but pretty awesome idea how each block with each class is different when versing each combination of enemy classes and their weapons.

perhaps if someone like the footman tried to block the heavy knight with his hammer or axe, they either get their sword destroyed, or they stab their sword into the ground in an attempt to get the axe/hammer to bounce off the edge of the sword with the help of the ground’s resistance… nevermind.

perhaps there are some unblockable attacks, where your only choice is to dodge, and blocking an unblockable attack simply dodges.

• Developer

There will be both attacks that are unblockable (as we have hinted at previously) and attacks that in most cases, you will prefer not to block. For instance attempting to block an overhead swing with the double axe with your archers shortsword will result in not only taking the majority of the damage anyway, but also significant stamina loss. So whether its a better option to block dodge or attempt to counter will always be dependent on what weapons and classes are involved in the exchange as well as the environmental situation.

• Having read the thread, I do hope that block/parry camping (Waiting at optimal range for your opponent to swing so you can get the counterattack) won’t become an issue.

• Developer

From testing so far that does not appear to be an issue. Parrying is an advantage but not one that is absolute as discussed in other threads. This means that players always have an incentive to attack, although it is best to only attack when you are certain a strike will land, otherwise your opponent can punish you for your mistakes. But so far we haven’t had much “parry camping” arising, likely due to the fact that a failed parry will leave you vulnerable as well as the inclusion of attacks that cannot be parried this time around.