Stop crying, this game is the most fun I've had in years

• I never played AoC. Before getting this game in November, I was playing SC2, Battlefield 3, Counterstrike, Planetside 2, and a good amount of other games. After getting it, all I’ve been playing is Chivalry. That’s how good this game is.

I really don’t understand all the whining on these forums. This game is something special, something unique, and whining to a small indie developer about bugs that it is trying hard to work out won’t speed the process up. These dudes are working their butts off to deliver a good product, and I can’t imagine how it makes them feel to log onto the forums and see some of the destructive (not constructive) criticism on here, where people constantly nitpick and belittle aspects of the game they don’t like.

Seriously, you guys deter potential buyers with all this unnecessary whining on the forums. This game is the most visceral, humorous, fast-paced game I’ve played in a while–even with the bugs. I can’t even describe how many times I’ve laughed at something that’s happened in Chivalry. The fact that I can hop on for 30 minutes, have a good time, then hop out only makes things better.

Constructive criticism is fine, but stop with the excessive whining–please.

• Cool, it is a good game, but telling people to stop crying is not only childish, its futile. People can express themselves however they see fit and they will do so if allowed to. It’s up to the moderators to categorize their posts and prune them according to their rules.

If you want to help, don’t bring more attention to the issue by creating redundant and pointless threads.

Much of the issue actually lies in the upkeep of this forum’s etiquette and not in the people themselves. Mods never punish people for making junk threads, making threads in the wrong section, or making threads with extremely vague and descriptive thread titles. There is no quality standard for posts either. I see people having off-topic conversations in threads all the time and it’s pretty annoying.

I would say Facepunch’s forums is a great example of how a forum should be kept. It also has cool mod tools like ban reasons, thread lock reasons, and ratings for posts (although this tends to encourage bandwagon behaviour), however its the mods themselves that really keep the place in shape.

• COMPLETELY agree. Got this on April 9th, and this and Mount and blade are the only games I’ve been playin since then. And I’ve always been a big console gamer. Chivalry pretty much ruined the combat in so many other games for me haha.

• I am yet to see an online game forum that doesn’t have someone bitching about something. MMORPG forums are my favorite - unless I see at least 1 thread a week of a guy rage quitting over some mechanic, I get worried.

• @Slacka:

I am yet to see an online game forum that doesn’t have someone bitching about something. MMORPG forums are my favorite - unless I see at least 1 thread a week of a guy rage quitting over some mechanic, I get worried.

Exactly, so bitching about bitching = more bitching.

• I only cry when yall kill me.

• There are some legitimate concerns, especially around bugs and so on.

Beyond that though I think people take the game wayyyy too seriously. Getting to the point of wanting someone murdered just because they killed you with a feint or something is far too silly.

Of course competitive play will always be more tense, but personally with this game I like to just pick it up and chill while running round butchering everything with swords. Once I’ve had my fill of medieval slaughter, I put it down until next time.

I realise everyone plays different but still, some of the absolutely hate filled post this game gets are a bit too much heh. I think TBS have done very well for their first commercial game, and it’s pretty awesome that there’s none really like this. Sure games like M&B and WoTR have similar SETTINGS, but don’t really give the same brutal, immersive experience as Chiv, and I can’t think of any other game that does, (Only AoC of course and that doesn’t count as it’s basically “baby Chiv”).

• People don’t come to the forums to check out whether or not to buy a game. People come to the forums to whine about game mechanics/things being OP or UP, ect. That’s just how it is.

• @BobT36:

Beyond that though I think people take the game wayyyy too seriously.

Yeah, like Clans.

• Yeah, because giving feedback is such a TERRIBLE thing. There are plenty of legitimate concerns that are posted on here that are trashed with lines like, “L2play nub!” or “u mad brah? Cry some more.”

That’s not to say there isn’t the fair share of completely non constructive feedback too but it sounds like you’re saying anyone that has a complaint should be silenced just because you can look past this game’s faults. That mentality isn’t conducive to creating and maintaining the best product possible.

• There is a difference between perpetual whining due to anger or ignorance, and trying to offer constructive criticism without any malicious or offensive intent.

• Christ people we get it. Stop posting in the thread already. Why does every blatantly inflammatory thread have to get to 4-5 pages before it dies?

• Haha oh please. Like I’m supposed to take anything a |?i??| member says seriously. I think even a dog turd fights cleaner than you guys do. I’ve never fought any group of people in this game that consistently abuses every exploit and OP move in the books as much as you guys do. Oh boy you should see the chat box after you guys leave the server.

And don’t even get me started on your egos and the trash talking.

You talk about deterring potential buyers and yet your little group there is a perfect example of why people would potentially avoid this game - the community is not enjoyable to play with.

• I really don’t understand all the whining on these forums.

Maybe you should. People are giving their input on what’s concerning (or annoying) them, because they want game to improve (where improving can mean different things to different people).Telling them to “stop crying” doesn’t really helps to create an image of good, helpful community…

Seriously, you guys deter potential buyers with all this unnecessary whining on the forums.

Who’s to decide what’s necessary and what’s not?

• I agree with you OP. This game surpassed all of my expectations. It is an astoundingly intense, visceral, and skill-based game with original and constantly evolving gameplay.

I would say the #1 reason there is so much complaining in these forums is because most lonewolf players don’t have anywhere else to express their concerns and opinions. I was lucky enough to find a fantastic clan to play and train with, and being in voice communication means that all of our moaning and groaning happens on Teamspeak. If anyone has an issue with the game, the ensuing debate resolves the issue right then and there, whereas these forums will literally discuss the same thing for months at a time.

Edit: Have a problem with feinting?

-Play in servers where you have <50ms ping, where many feints can be read.
    -Incorporate ducking as an actual defensive move, not as a novelty. Almost all slashes and thrusts can be ducked in the case that you are successfully feinted.
    -Sprint perpendicular to your enemy when he actually swings. If he is not prepared to do a massive drag, thrusts and overheads can be evaded.
    -Perfect your offensive play. That means drags, delays, masking your attack animations, whatever it takes.
    -Don’t be afraid to turn your back. You can put far more distance between you and your opponent if you turn in sprint rather than backpedal. Learn to memorize where your opponent is even while you aren’t looking at them.
    -There are players that feint, and there are players that don’t. Once you see an enemy feint, memorize his name because he will likely do it again. Most players never feint in public games as a rule of thumb.

• I don’t see much crying on the forums. I see a lot of issues that get pointed out.

–------------
    The main problem is the reaction against people that want the game balanced tweaked and casuals/inexperienced players that dont take the game seriously reacting against that segment of the forum population, or trying to take part in making suggestions.

If you have a 'just have fun the game is fine, dont take it seriously’ mentality, then never comment on the forums again. You don’t need to be here, or participating in any balance threads. Go play and have fun.

Just leave, because as long as the tweaks leave the game within the same ballpark of what it is now, you will be fine with it. BECAUSE you dont take it seriously and are a casual.

Unless you play a lot / are good at the game don’t make a suggestion.
    –------------------

If potential buyers are deterred by reading frank discussions on the state/nature of the game on the game forums, that is too bad. It really is, but those are the discussions the players are having. The desire to limit all posts to positive feedback so as to attract the most people just doesnt make sense to me. Is that really your suggestion? Circlejerk about the game constantly?

• @JCash:

The main problem is the reaction against people that want the game balanced tweaked and casuals/inexperienced players that dont take the game seriously reacting against that segment of the forum population, or trying to take part in making suggestions.

If you have a 'just have fun the game is fine, dont take it seriously’ mentality, then never comment on the forums again. You don’t need to be here, or participating in any balance threads. Go play and have fun.

Just leave, because as long as the tweaks leave the game within the same ballpark of what it is now, you will be fine with it. BECAUSE you dont take it seriously and are a casual.

Disagree strongly.

Clan / competitive players make suggestions to have the game be smoother for competitive play only. This can and does impact normal play as well, therefore all types of opinions help reach a balance. Excluding anyone’s views who doesn’t have x hours played or isn’t in a clan / competitive player results in the game design being completely one sided.

You could, as you did then say that’s fine because those playing for fun, not “seriously” won’t care, but that’s the thing, they then WILL care, because the game will become unfun for them. As the flare, variance and features they liked will not exist, they will see the game as stale and mechanical, even if it is perfectly “balanced”.

As I’ve stated before, “3 lives, no items, final destination” style setups are absolutely necessary for competitive play. But if that’s ALL a game offered, I’d personally never want to play it. I’ve played competitively in the past in some games but did not enjoy it as much as I did just playing for fun. I personally don’t have much time for gaming nowadays and I certainly wouldn’t play Chiv for anything else.

Therefore it is in every player’s interest to have the game offer a balanced variety of modes and playstyles available that correctly caters to each sector. Chiv certainly would have not done as well as it did if it catered ONLY towards how clans like it, that’s called a niche.

It would actually be interesting to see how many (regular) competitive, alongside non competitive players we have. I do realise competitive / “serious” players are likely to stick around with the game and not move straight on though, however if other players are having GREAT fun, they likely will too.

• @Goden:

Haha oh please. Like I’m supposed to take anything a |?i??| member says seriously. I think even a dog turd fights cleaner than you guys do. I’ve never fought any group of people in this game that consistently abuses every exploit and OP move in the books as much as you guys do. Oh boy you should see the chat box after you guys leave the server.

And don’t even get me started on your egos and the trash talking.

You talk about deterring potential buyers and yet your little group there is a perfect example of why people would potentially avoid this game - the community is not enjoyable to play with.

I personally don’t exploit at all. As an archer that’s tough to do, since so many people take advantage of the walking-reload glitch or the running-shooting glitch, but still, I don’t exploit. Ask anyone I play with. I never exploit.

• @BobT36:

@JCash:

Disagree strongly.

Clan / competitive players make suggestions to have the game be smoother for competitive play only. This can and does impact normal play as well, therefore all types of opinions help reach a balance. Excluding anyone’s views who doesn’t have x hours played or isn’t in a clan / competitive player results in the game design being completely one sided.

You could, as you did then say that’s fine because those playing for fun, not “seriously” won’t care, but that’s the thing, they then WILL care, because the game will become unfun for them. As the flare, variance and features they liked will not exist, they will see the game as stale and mechanical, even if it is perfectly “balanced”.

As I’ve stated before, “3 lives, no items, final destination” style setups are absolutely necessary for competitive play. But if that’s ALL a game offered, I’d personally never want to play it. I’ve played competitively in the past in some games but did not enjoy it as much as I did just playing for fun. I personally don’t have much time for gaming nowadays and I certainly wouldn’t play Chiv for anything else.

Therefore it is in every player’s interest to have the game offer a balanced variety of modes and playstyles available that correctly caters to each sector. Chiv certainly would have not done as well as it did if it catered ONLY towards how clans like it, that’s called a niche.

It would actually be interesting to see how many (regular) competitive, alongside non competitive players we have. I do realise competitive / “serious” players are likely to stick around with the game and not move straight on though, however if other players are having GREAT fun, they likely will too.

Agreed. I didn’t become a “competitive” player until relatively recently, and the main thing that draws me to this game is (still) the relatively casual nature of it. I can hop on and play 30 minutes after a hard day of work, then log off. That alone is awesome.

So the general player base shouldn’t have a more boring experience just because of competitive players.

• **@bob/legolas
    I dont get your point. As long as no drastic changes were made, like, permadeath (instantly banned forever if you die) or, a stam bar that only let you swing once per minute

like drastic stupid changes

the casual population will be absolutely fine with the game and not care about or notice any minor tweaks that might seem important to good players operating at the limits of what the mechanics/timings allow.

Their opinion does not matter because it is always the same thing ‘the game is fine’ because they’re not close to being in a position to notice the things about the game that are not fine, and wouldn’t care if they did because they have nothing invested in it.

Bob, you’ve been saying forever, in any thread pointing out a problem with the game, ‘you should take chivalry less seriously.’ how is that catering to a variety of playstyles? Its only catering to people willing to look past (ignore) the mechanics issues and pretend the game is fine.

You can still ‘not care’ and not ‘take the game seriously’ after some mechanics have been tweaked.

What you/other casuals like about the game isnt changing.

You will never not be able to run around slashing people with swords. Be assured of that.

Chiv certainly would have not done as well as it did if it catered ONLY towards how clans like it, that’s called a niche.

I don’t get what you’re saying. What casuals and clan players like about hte game is on one level the same thing. Running around, fighting with swords. Then clan (by clan i mean good who cares about clans) players go a bit deeper, analyze the limits of what is possible. Sometimes that exploration leads to finding tactics that are incredibly overpowered and need to be addressed by the devs.

Its a new, deeper world that the casuals have no understanding of and doesn’t effect them at all because they play for fun.

TL:DR - what casuals like about this game is never going to change. The vast majority of gameplay issues people on this forum argue about are relatively minor and will not be noticed or cared about by the ‘casual’ community for various reasons.
    _–-----

if you play for fun, go play for fun. If you think the game as it is can best be described as ‘fine’ or ‘perfect’ then your judgement isnt discerning enough to be bothered even if minor tweaks ‘break’ it for competitive play.

You’ll be happy as a clam lmb spamming through people in the broken game.
    –-------------------------------------------------------------

Good players and bad players are viewing the game at different levels of abstraction. I’m going to give you a way of understanding the different perspectives that will seem a bit strange.

look at this picture made up of blocks
    http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/legot … n.png.html

and pretend its the game. The casual says, hey, from back here where i’m viewing it, this picture looks awesome!

Then the clan player is the person zooming in on the one block thats out of place or the wrong shade and saying ‘you should change that block.’

To the casual, the picture looks great! To the clan player, its perfection is ruined by that out of place block. The casual wouldnt even notice a change in the block placement, to him the picture remains essentially the same, while to the ‘clan’ player looking at it in a detailed way, that one block might be ruining the entire thing.

The casual perspective will pretty much always be ‘its fine, why bother changing it.’

Good players will ALWAYs argue about a block placement here, a shade difference there. Its not a discussion the casual can/should take place in.

If the block actually gets changed depends on if that change makes the game better, or more in line with the ideal game the devs have in mind.
    _–----------------------

‘Clan player’ isn’t even a good term to use in place of ‘good player’. A good non clanned player and a clan player have different interests, a good non clan player will be much less forgiving of mechanics issues. He doesnt have the social structure of his clan tying him to the game and holding his interest.