SoW nerf

• Hi, I would like to know what’s everyone’s opinion on the Sword of War nerf coming next patch. Update 5 of the beta included the following changes to the SoW:

Sword of War overhead damage from 75 to 70
    Sword of War stab damage from 75 to 68
    Sword of War slash and overhead releases from .55 to .525

In practical terms, VGs now won’t fall to a stab overhead combo unless one attack connects with the head. An overhand headshot will no longer finish off a VG if the stab happens to hit the leg. Knights are roughly similar: 4 hits if one stab doesn’t hit the head. Performance against MAAs and archers remain roughly the same, 2 LMBs will still reliably take them out.

This is really just my opinion, but the SoW will kinda the short end of the stick next patch. 3 hits for VG for any long sword is just unacceptable. 4 for knight is a nightmare. In battlefield conditions its likely gonna get worse as headshots are gonna be a lot more rare. Plus, for some reason in beta the weapons seem to be more sluggish; a stab-overhead combo doesn’t seem to have that quickness anymore.

The claymore is gonna get nerfed in damage as well, but it makes up for it in being insanely fast now. SoW is gonna get a general nerf with the only buff being to release speed, which i don’t feel is that useful.

Anyone feel the same way?

• The power of the SoW comes from its speed and range.

You could get that stab in very quickly and flinch many unsuspecting targets. If you didn’t get the flinch you still had initiative. The speed was what made it a Kings Weapon.

Taking an extra hit to kill someone isn’t that big of a deal, losing its initial speed though… that will hurt it the most.

I fear upon the patch, I may lay my SoW down at my feet and take up another weapon. I have my eye on the Norse Sword, so fast, the range is an issue though.

R.I.P SoW, you had a spectacular run, many a foe was bested by you.

• SoW did not lose speed, Toll. It’s actually faster now with its shorter releases, though it got a little nerf to combo speed to compensate for how fast it would be.

• O wait what?

It it hard to keep track of all the changes across beta’s. I thought the windup was increased and the release decreased.

Well then, My beautiful beast of a weapon may be even better in my hands. I choose it mainly for speed, for it to be faster initially, o yeesss >:D

• Its always taken 4 hits to take down a knight. Even with a claymore.

• Unfortunately the combo speed nerf kinda kills the shock value of this weapon. It used to be that once you can get a stab in, following a combo overhead is a given with its crazy speed. Now, its significantly easier to react to the combo.

I didn’t find the release buff useful mainly because I use a lot of look down overhead, so my weapon strikes immediately after release anyway.

@lemonater47:

Its always taken 4 hits to take down a knight. Even with a claymore.

Stab-overhead-stab combo can take down a knight, even with all body shots.

• I, for one, am looking forward to this ;)

• On beta, the vast majority of knights are still using longsword and SoW. They are still king in terms of versatility and as long as that remains true they will always remain strong weapons.

• @Wangmaster:

I didn’t find the release buff useful mainly because I use a lot of look down overhead, so my weapon strikes immediately after release anyway.

Congratulations you just announced loudly and in public that you’re a massive, miserable twat. I hope you’re proud of yourself. :|

Back to topic: Looking forward on how SoW will work after the update. Imo it’s a bit too stronk right now.

• i’m more of a longsword man these days, i’ll have to check again what changes were done to that, it feels almost the same to me but i’ve been mainly vanguarding in the beta lmao

• The SoW will be unplayable in Eu comp. Every Vangaurd is better than a sow knight.

• @KÄPTn:

The SoW will be unplayable in Eu comp. Every Vangaurd is better than a sow knight.

Since knights have better secondaries and a shield 2H sword vanguards should be better than 2H sword knights, dont you think?

• @TheUndying:

@Wangmaster:

Congratulations you just announced loudly and in public that you’re a massive, miserable twat. I hope you’re proud of yourself. :|

Heh, I guess i’m just not a hypocrite. Its obvious that a lot of people use them, I’m not gonna deny that i’m one of the many.

@KÄPTn:

The SoW will be unplayable in Eu comp. Every Vangaurd is better than a sow knight.

That’s a little harsh, I think SoW will still be a function-able weapon but its definitely gonna be a shadow of its former self.

• @Towe:

Since knights have better secondaries and a shield 2H sword vanguards should be better than 2H sword knights, dont you think?

This makes complete sense to me. I wouldn’t mind if this were 100% true.

• @ChuckingIt:

@Towe:

This makes complete sense to me. I wouldn’t mind if this were 100% true.

Show me a Knight secondary that is better than Dane Axe.

• @Daiyuki:

Show me a Knight secondary that is better than Dane Axe.

I was mostly going off the shield part. But I personally use short sword when I go Vg. Plus the broadsword/falchion/flanged mace are great secondaries. I only fear the Dane axe in the hands of a MAA because of the forward dodge to look down overhead. But that won’t be a problem much longer.

• Honestly, I’m still on the fence about the 2h sword nerfs for knights. Those combo times were crucial and part of what makes these weapons so versatile. SoW nerf might have been justified though. In the right hands the attacks are relentless.

What I am concerned with is that the vanguard’s claymore got a significant buff in all respects minus damage. It’s essentially a longer broadsword now + knockback. And as all of you know, the broadsword is an excellent weapon. I might just switch to that and forget about knights all together if I could just make up the HP loss with the speed/reach of a vanguard.

• In FFA modes on Live vanguards are already used heavily, a Knight with SoW or well used Messar could still top them, however with this new claymore… I hope not to see 19/20 players as vanguard…

• Is the one handed version of the SoW being changed at all?

• I believe 1H will be getting a damage nerf as well.

And yeah, messer is still as deadly as ever. Might main that after the patch if not for the fact that its too slow to engage MAAs with.