!!IDEAS THAT MIGHT IMPROVE THIS EPIC GAME!!

• Hi there,
    I was bored so i came up with a few ideas. (maybe some of them are already posted, sry for that)

All 4 class should have a unique move:

Archers already have increased damage when attacking from behind, now what i suggest is that they should have a whole new stabbing animation (just like in dark messiah) which would instantly kill any enemy. Archers would be more viable.

Man at arms’s dodging ability is perfect in my opinion.

Vanguard’s charging strike ability is ok too.

Knights should be the only class that can perform bashing moves with the shield / a shield charge would be awesome ( both of them are very realistic ).

Decepitating/hacking effects for sharp, Cracking/mashing effects for dull type of weapons : Taking someone’s head of with a mat one handed weapon is pretty much nonsense, it should stun/daze them. Sharp weapons should have some chance of taking someone’s limb off even with the very first strike, while mat weapons should have some chance to stun the enemy making the completely vulnerable for a short period of time.

Bashing/Pummeling when really close instead of thrusting: It looks clumsy and unrealistic when you thrust an enemy that stand right in your face. What i suggest is that when the enemy is very close, you should add a bashing/pummeling kind of strike which would take effect as it
    would be a dull type of attack(stun/daze effect) instead of regular thrust! Also if you manage to hit someone in the leg specifically with arrows the victim should be slowed down for a short time because of the pain.

Thoughts about improving one handed gameplay: Its incredibly unrealistic that you are able to fully parry a 100 or even more KG heavy knight’s brute two handed weapon strike! There should be 50% that you fully parry and other 50% that he breaks through your defend and gets a hit on you (50% DMG here) We should have an option: go one handed or go with one handed with a shield (both of them would have their own advantages and disadvantages - if you have your shield in your hand than you would have less vision but you would left you back uncovered, with shield on your back just the opposite, right here im highly suggesting that when you have a shield on your back then it should be able to protect you from at least ranged attacks!)

Making the game more realistic/clear by removing HP and Stamina bar: There should be atleast an option to switch this thingy on. Instead of those bars we should have visual and sound effects, this would make the game more clear, we should only have the kill feed with just only smaller letters!

Faster stamina and HP regeneration while staying still: This one speaks for itself :D

Different damage indicators when hit by enemy or friendly: Lets say red indicator if the damage comes from enemy, yellow indicator if damage comes from friendly/blue if damage comes from agathians, and red if from masons. (i beleive this is some cool stuff :D)

Faster moving/running if you are chasing someone: Not sure if you have this feature. It would make you able to catch up to almost-dead enemies and also would force them to fight back not just run away.

Slow movement when striking/being struck: I watched a lot of videos and its not that realistic when people just keep dancing around eachother, swinging their weapons while they obtain normal running speed.
    What im suggesting here is when the strike is realesed the player should have been slowed down until they reset their weapons into normal stance. Also being slowed down for a short time after getting struck would make a lot of sense!

Sry for long post, ive been waiting for a long time for such a game and i want it to become as good as it possibly can be ;)

• I agree with the one handed blocking and the ability to remove the HP & Stamina bar, perhaps via the options. For immersion.

• @Mkilbride:

I agree with the one handed blocking and the ability to remove the HP & Stamina bar, perhaps via the options. For immersion.

Ye, how do you like my other ideas ? i think none of them are game breaking…

• @Zedard:

Archers already have increased damage when attacking from behind, now what i suggest is that they should have a whole new stabbing animation (just like in dark messiah) which would instantly kill any enemy. Archers would be more viable.

I dont think the archer should be able to insta kill backstab. I personally think the archer is already too competent in melee, so we shouldn’t give him any more strength.

@Zedard:

Decepitating/hacking effects for sharp, Cracking/mashing effects for dull type of weapons : Taking someone’s head of with a mat one handed weapon is pretty much nonsense, it should stun/daze them. Sharp weapons should have some chance of taking someone’s limb off even with the very first strike, while mat weapons should have some chance to stun the enemy making the completely vulnerable for a short period of time.

For the delimbing, are you saying that the person would lose an arm and still be alive? If so I think that would be very tough for the devs to implement. I do agree, however, that the complete exploding of a head form a blunt weapon is a bit much.

@Zedard:

Thoughts about improving one handed gameplay: Its incredibly unrealistic that you are able to fully parry a 100 or even more KG heavy knight’s brute two handed weapon strike! There should be 50% that you fully parry and other 50% that he breaks through your defend and gets a hit on you (50% DMG here) We should have an option: go one handed or go with one handed with a shield (both of them would have their own advantages and disadvantages - if you have your shield in your hand than you would have less vision but you would left you back uncovered, with shield on your back just the opposite, right here im highly suggesting that when you have a shield on your back then it should be able to protect you from at least ranged attacks!)

As for the one handed stuff, I think either that or the person takes a small amount of damage when they parry a strike from a heavy weapon.

@Zedard:

Faster moving/running if you are chasing someone: Not sure if you have this feature. It would make you able to catch up to almost-dead enemies and also would force them to fight back not just run away.

Yep, this one is already in there.

• @Zedard:

how are they not viable? i play one every day and go positive with tons of assists to back it up. Torn Banner have already said there will be no “finishing moves”

@Zedard:

Already in the game.

@Zedard:

Bashing/Pummeling when really close instead of thrusting: It looks clumsy and unrealistic when you thrust an enemy that stand right in your face. What i suggest is that when the enemy is very close, you should add a bashing/pummeling kind of strike which would take effect as it
    would be a dull type of attack(stun/daze effect) instead of regular thrust! Also if you manage to hit someone in the leg specifically with arrows the victim should be slowed down for a short time because of the pain.

there’s no type of stunning or dazing in the game, although it could happen irl it would take too long and would be too finicy to try to program into the game. it’s very not fun to be slowed in such a fast paced environment.

@Zedard:

Making the game more realistic/clear by removing HP and Stamina bar: There should be atleast an option to switch this thingy on. Instead of those bars we should have visual and sound effects, this would make the game more clear, we should only have the kill feed with just only smaller letters!

there are visual and audio ques for being almost dead and out of stamina, your screen will go grey when you’re almost dead and flash red when hit, when you’re out of stamina you will be panting.

@Zedard:

Faster stamina and HP regeneration while staying still: This one speaks for itself :D

regen is already pretty quick, especially stamina.

@Zedard:

Different damage indicators when hit by enemy or friendly: Lets say red indicator if the damage comes from enemy, yellow indicator if damage comes from friendly/blue if damage comes from agathians, and red if from masons. (i beleive this is some cool stuff :D)

not really needed, if you don’t know where you got hit fro mthen it’s really your own fault, not the games.

@Zedard:

already in the game.

@Zedard:

Slow movement when striking/being struck: I watched a lot of videos and its not that realistic when people just keep dancing around eachother, swinging their weapons while they obtain normal running speed.
    What im suggesting here is when the strike is realesed the player should have been slowed down until they reset their weapons into normal stance. Also being slowed down for a short time after getting struck would make a lot of sense!

in a way the slowing when swinging is implemented, while swinging you can only tun your camera so fast to the sides. certain weapons have an amount of knock back, i can’t say which ones off the top of my head.

• oh man i just cant understand why cant you agree with my ideas :D hitting someone’s head with a light one handed blunt and making their head instantly disappear like in the trailer … :D or being able to thrust when the enemy is standing in your soul :D or just giving sg like 10% chance when using a hammer to stun the enemy is not game breaking, its realistic imo. also about archers they dont have to intant kill with their stab, they can keep their +50%, but at least they should have a nice new stabbing animation :P then you could tell for sure that your hit did register as an attack from the back or not… im not saying that you should be able to run around with a missing limb… im saying that there should be a chance of delimbing with even the first strike if you’re usin a sharp, and there should be a low chance to stun/daze enemy if you are usin dull weapons (sg like 10%) which is not that game breaking …

• No to any chance mechanics. Sorry, but this game is meant to be entirely skill based. There are other solutions that can be implemented for things like small weapons parrying large ones - like some damage passing through the parry, and a heavy loss of stamina. 50% chance to fail the block and just die is a horrible idea. Same with any % chance to stun an enemy - you might as well make it a % chance to kill in one hit because being stunned in a game as fast paced as Chivalry is death.

Instant kill backstabs are also very silly. An alternate animation when backstabbing would be alright if it’s not too time consuming to implement. I sortof agree with the knight getting some more interesting class mechanic - but it can’t be based on using a shield, because a lot of their primaries are twohanded. The knight is also very strong already, so he’d have to take a reduction to his armor or something to balance out a new ability, which might just piss off current knight players. So that’ll probably not happen either.

What I do think could be a viable alternative is to add a perk system. Perks unlike weapons would not be unlocked, and there’d just be a selection of a few of them per class. Charge attack and dodge would be built in to the class, but they’d be weaker than they are now without the perk supporting them. For example, Vanguard could choose a perk that gives his attacks more knockback for the VG that prefers to keep enemies at bay, a perk that reduces damage taken from projectiles for the VG that hates getting picked apart by archers, or a perk that increases the damage dealt and reduces the stamina cost of using a charge attack for the VG that likes to hurl himself into the middle of a combat and dish out terrible terrible damage. Then the Knight could also get a shield perk, such as turning shield bashes into longer range shield charges, a tank perk which adds HP but slows movement speed, and a perk which allows you to feint your attacks at any point in the swing, and combo attacks off of feints.

• @SlyGoat:

No to any chance mechanics. Sorry, but this game is meant to be entirely skill based. There are other solutions that can be implemented for things like small weapons parrying large ones - like some damage passing through the parry, and a heavy loss of stamina. 50% chance to fail the block and just die is a horrible idea. Same with any % chance to stun an enemy - you might as well make it a % chance to kill in one hit because being stunned in a game as fast paced as Chivalry is death.

Instant kill backstabs are also very silly. An alternate animation when backstabbing would be alright if it’s not too time consuming to implement. I sortof agree with the knight getting some more interesting class mechanic - but it can’t be based on using a shield, because a lot of their primaries are twohanded. The knight is also very strong already, so he’d have to take a reduction to his armor or something to balance out a new ability, which might just piss off current knight players. So that’ll probably not happen either.

What I do think could be a viable alternative is to add a perk system. Perks unlike weapons would not be unlocked, and there’d just be a selection of a few of them per class. Charge attack and dodge would be built in to the class, but they’d be weaker than they are now without the perk supporting them. For example, Vanguard could choose a perk that gives his attacks more knockback for the VG that prefers to keep enemies at bay, a perk that reduces damage taken from projectiles for the VG that hates getting picked apart by archers, or a perk that increases the damage dealt and reduces the stamina cost of using a charge attack for the VG that likes to hurl himself into the middle of a combat and dish out terrible terrible damage. Then the Knight could also get a shield perk, such as turning shield bashes into longer range shield charges, a tank perk which adds HP but slows movement speed, and a perk which allows you to feint your attacks at any point in the swing, and combo attacks off of feints.

about parrying with one-handed againts a two-handed, at LEAST it should consume 2 or 3 times more stamina than parrying with a two-handed or blocking with a shield <–- this is not game breaking, this is not based on luck at all! The game meant to be somewhat realistic! Well i dont really like your perk idea:/ I understand that the devs want this game to be very simple but skill requering, thats why i would like to see every four class with only ONE special ability. You did not mention my idea about changing up thrusting with bashing if enemy is very close to you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932 … age#t=195s

• I would not be pleased by those mechanics you offer that are not in-game.
    BUT more animations are always welcomed.

I have to disagree with you SlyGoat, I wouldn’t want perks to be imlemented. Special abilities are all right, but if you add to the game something people can’t estimate at first sight (like class, type of weapon wielded), then how can you see this as entirely skill-based ? One could not distinguish the charging vanguard from the jab one unless he gets to notice it after some fighting time.

Also, class abilities need to be left simple, and the ones implemented already makes up for all the ENTIRELY different mechanics already implemented.
    BUT I would sure as hell be glad if the knight could get some shiny class ability…

• @Jihell:

I would not be pleased by those mechanics you offer that are not in-game.

I have to disagree with you SlyGoat, I wouldn’t want perks to be imlemented. Special abilities are all right, but if you add to the game something people can’t estimate at first sight (like class, type of weapon wielded), then how can you see this as entirely skill-based ? One could not distinguish the charging vanguard from the jab one unless he gets to notice it after some fighting time.

Also, class abilities need to be left simple, and the ones implemented already makes up for all the ENTIRELY different mechanics already implemented.
    BUT I would sure as hell be glad if the knight could get some shiny class ability…

The perks I suggested don’t alter the way you play against the class, just the way you play as it. You aren’t going to say “Well I don’t think this vanguard is using the bonus to sprint attacks, so I’ll just tank his sprint attack,” because it’s a bad decision either way. Same with letting someone with a long range weapon repeatedly poke you at the edge of their range - even without the bonus knockback, it’s a dumb thing to do, you want to get in close either way. And with reduced damage from projectiles - again, archers won’t just not shoot at vanguards on the off chance that they have the reduced projectile damage perk, for the same reason you aren’t going to just avoid shooting at knights currently.

• @SlyGoat:

@Jihell:

I would not be pleased by those mechanics you offer that are not in-game.

The perks I suggested don’t alter the way you play against the class, just the way you play as it. You aren’t going to say “Well I don’t think this vanguard is using the bonus to sprint attacks, so I’ll just tank his sprint attack,” because it’s a bad decision either way. Same with letting someone with a long range weapon repeatedly poke you at the edge of their range - even without the bonus knockback, it’s a dumb thing to do, you want to get in close either way. And with reduced damage from projectiles - again, archers won’t just not shoot at vanguards on the off chance that they have the reduced projectile damage perk, for the same reason you aren’t going to just avoid shooting at knights currently.

still i dont like the perk idea, leave the game simple imo.
    have you guys checked the video that i linked ???

• first of all no perks please its total nonsense. skillbased means playerskill nothing else as well as no percentwars or something then it would be just luck and i could go f*ck myself and play world of bullshit or something.

to be honest the idea of being able to turn of the most parts of the hud seems reasonable to me for the sake of immersion like the other guy said.

in reallife u can parry alot shizl with even small weapons (after the medieval times most skilled fighters only wore a rapier or fencing weapon and a dagger in the left hand mainly for parrying incoming strikes, some of them did that even without, they just parried with the pinkie) might be a bad thing to come up with but a heavy knight “brute” doesnt weild a 100 kilo axe or deals this ammount of dmg. An axe weighs like 4 kilos…… thats still alot but it is not unbearable to block even with small weapons if u know what to do and when ur timing fits.

i already feel somewhat uncomfortable with the fact htat archers deal more dmg from behind, i just try to understand it:
    Why should some dude with a dagger hitting someones back deal more dmg if the aim is still based on the skill of the attacker.
    lets say i aim at the same spot with a bigger weapon, i think i would nearly chop his whole head of with a broadsword or deal massive injuries to his back (lungs and stuff)

• @Thorendir:

first of all no perks please its total nonsense. skillbased means playerskill nothing else as well as no percentwars or something then it would be just luck and i could go f*ck myself and play world of bullshit or something.

to be honest the idea of being able to turn of the most parts of the hud seems reasonable to me for the sake of immersion like the other guy said.

in reallife u can parry alot shizl with even small weapons (after the medieval times most skilled fighters only wore a rapier or fencing weapon and a dagger in the left hand mainly for parrying incoming strikes, some of them did that even without, they just parried with the pinkie) might be a bad thing to come up with but a heavy knight “brute” doesnt weild a 100 kilo axe or deals this ammount of dmg. An axe weighs like 4 kilos…… thats still alot but it is not unbearable to block even with small weapons if u know what to do and when ur timing fits.

i already feel somewhat uncomfortable with the fact htat archers deal more dmg from behind, i just try to understand it:
    Why should some dude with a dagger hitting someones back deal more dmg if the aim is still based on the skill of the attacker.
    lets say i aim at the same spot with a bigger weapon, i think i would nearly chop his whole head of with a broadsword or deal massive injuries to his back (lungs and stuff)

its sounds like you sir have never ever played with sticks as a child :D have fun parrying with a tiny knife againts a fukin big and heavy two handed axe which is thrown from the hip, have fun stopping that shyt :)

• Sorry i disagree, i think Perks in a smaller way brings more variable to the game and makes more fun. I like the idea and the motivation you get to get a perk for your own played class. It should be not overpowered, just a little extra like sprinting longer or doublehanded weapon style. It would be also cool if you are at high rank like 67 or something and get your own Armor or shield which you can choose from five different. They all have the same stats. So every char is uniqe.

Perks are nice to have, but no gameplay breaker.

• by the way we need special clan armor and fier arrows. :-)

• @prophi:

by the way we need special clan armor and fier arrows. :-)

Clan armor ?
    What would that be for ?

• @Jihell:

@prophi:

Clan armor ?
    What would that be for ?

Being in a clan, one would assume.

• perks are bad, mmkay ?
    no but seriously, i love the fact that the game is simple dont ruin dat :c

• @SlyGoat:

@Jihell:

@prophi:

Clan armor ?
    What would that be for ?

Being in a clan, one would assume.

Yeah, but why would anyone stand out from their team with some strange armor ?
    Can’t people just enjoy the realistic feel and epic simpleness of the current armors ?

• with a longdagger (langdolch for germans) u totally can, its like a freaking shortsword, u definitly can if u aim for the damn axe handle, ur position is right (u gotta turn the weapon away when it touches ur weapons edge if not u will have to withstand all his power and will be easily stomped in the ground) and ur timing fits.

btw i did and i still do that fighting with wooden swords with buddys and nowadays i bought books bout medieval martial arts got 2 swords (longsword-claymore) and go to some trainings. i probably should know what im talking about.

:) :) :)