What weapons are shunned in the competitive scene?

• I’m just wondering what weapons are hardly or never used in competitive play and why?

Would you prefer the game have all weapons be viable in this scene?

Do you think making all weapons viable is possible?

Lastly, what’s your personal weapon of choice as a competitive player?

• Warbow is the only weapon 95% of archers use. Longsword/SoW is the only weapon most knights use, Grand Mace probably being the third most. Vanguard probably has the most variety in style, I see swords, spears, and polearms regularly. MAA just use whatever the best one hander is at the moment because there’s no real difference between any of them.

Yes, I would prefer all weapons be viable. Is it possible…probably not without drastically altering gameplay to create more balance factors.

I switch weapons every 30 seconds because I’m an indecisive man and I’ll do what I want goddamnit!

• You can ask this a few weeks after next update again because it will change everything.

• Double Axe is never used because it’s terrible.
    Bearded Axe is never used because it can be abused with combo feints.
    Polehammer is never used because it’s terrible.
    Quarter Staff is never used because it’s terrible.
    Sling is never used because it’s terrible.
    Flail is never used because it’s terrible.
    Shortbow is never used because it’s terrible.
    Longbow is never used because Warbow is better.
    Warhammer is rarely used because it was nerfed and is short as shit.
    Maul is rarely used, but it is not a bad weapon.
    Messer is rarely used, but it is not a bad weapon.
    All of the daggers are rarely used because the other secondaries are just better.
    Morning Star is rarely used because Dane Axe is better in every respect except the stab length.
    War Axe is rarely used because Dane Axe is better.
    Falchion is rarely used because it fell out of the meta, but it was heavily used in the past.
    Holy Water Sprinkler is rarely used because its combo times are atrocious but its stab is fantastic.
    Halberd is rarely used since its nerf, but might make a comeback; not a bad weapon at all.

Pretty much all I can think of.

• @Sidewinder:

Would you prefer the game have all weapons be viable in this scene?

Do you think making all weapons viable is possible?

I do not think that every weapon should be viable in high level play, weapons that function differently will likely, unavoidably, have varying relationships between player skill and weapon effectiveness.

Prime example is the differences between bows and crossbows, due to crossbows having a higher projectile speed they are much easier to use decently, as the movements your target makes don’t contribute that much to whether or not they live. The crossbow is very effective with mediocre skill, as such I don’t like the idea of it being as viable as bows in competitive play, it reduces the effect that a difference in skill level has on the game.

Bows on the other hand are harder to hit with because the projectiles are slower, any unanticipated movement by your target has a larger effect on your accuracy, which increases the effect that the evasive skills of the target have on their survival.

Weapons with high skill ceilings should be the most used in competitive play, any difference between weapons is almost certainly going to make some weapons have higher ceilings/skill floors than others, so some weapons should be more viable than others.

• @Daiyuki:

Halberd is rarely used since its nerf, but might make a comeback; not a bad weapon at all.

Idk bout you, but I still see Halberd frequently.

Bearded Axe usually isn’t used due to its short range.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Daiyuki:

The bardiche is the new halberd. But yea, you still see it from time to time.

Also, pretty much unused:

Billhook and Fork

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Daiyuki:

Yeah? Who uses a Halberd? Ronin and our app Grimreprieve sometimes. I’d hardly call that frequently.@afiNity:

The bardiche is the new halberd. But yea, you still see it from time to time.

Also, pretty much unused:

Billhook and Fork

Yeah forgot about those, but Billhook is used more than either Halberd or Fork in my experience.

• looked like Knil was rocking Billhook during the tournament.

I’ll be interested in how weapon usage changes after this patch hits today.

• @Sidewinder:

looked like Knil was rocking Billhook during the tournament.

I didn’t play the latest beta but for me it looks like that the brandistock might be overbuffed and therefore will become the main weapon for polearm-vanguards. I really hope they didn’t destroy my baby.

• @Sidewinder:

The fact that Vq was running triple and quadruple Vanguard in the 8v8 Round Robin is also telling of what they think for the upcoming patch. Able also posted that they would be running a Fork-Maul combo, which will probably be strong because those weapons are silly good now.

• @Daiyuki:

@Sidewinder:

The fact that Vq was running triple and quadruple Vanguard in the 8v8 Round Robin is also telling of what they think for the upcoming patch. Able also posted that they would be running a Fork-Maul combo, which will probably be strong because those weapons are silly good now.

We’ve always had a heavy vanguard team, this is nothing new. And the fork and maul was more of a joke. We have spear, brandi, and polehammer vanguards and our knights have started using bearded axe, poleaxe, and messer.

• Every Vg weapon is amazing now, so it really doesn’t matter what they pick =p

• @Able:

@Daiyuki:

@Sidewinder:

We’ve always had a heavy vanguard team, this is nothing new. And the fork and maul was more of a joke. We have spear, brandi, and polehammer vanguards and our knights have started using bearded axe, poleaxe, and messer.

Awwwwwww that was a joke I wanted some maul competition, come one now =(

• 3rd person weapon is banned. Makes me a saaaaad panda. :(