Animations are not final, right?

• Watching beta footage - from today, I see a lot of comments about animations, and I agree, these look veryrough.

To the point I’d actually say M&B has better animations , on the whole, and that says alot.

They don’t seem to have improved from the mods day. In a mod, these were acceptable, but these are not retail quality, nor Indie quality.

I see a few comments, I don’t know if they are beta testers or so, on these videos, saying they aren’t final and you guys have much better ones ready for release day. I hope so. Atmosphere is critical and the animations kill the rest of the atmosphere you’ve built, when it looks like Monty Python animations.

• I agree as well, maybe the animations look weird because of the nature of online matches, for example the lag could cause some odd movements.I think I have seen some improvement as the videos have been coming out so Im sure they will get better and better.

• I don’t think whatever footage you were watching was doing the real thing any justice. The game looks really good, and the animations are better than mount and blade (which is a good game, but the character animations seem more stiff). I have no idea if animations are still being worked on, but I haven’t heard any complaints in beta about them.

• Developer

Game is made to be played, not watched. The animation critique is one we have heard continually from people watching but not playing, show me a first-person multiplayer game with better animations. Very few people grasp how difficult melee combat is to pull off giving the player as much control as needed to make the game feel good and also make it look good. Whenever we faced the choice we sacrificed looks for gameplay, and always will.

• @Tibberius:

Game is made to be played, not watched. The animation critique is one we have heard continually from people watching but not playing, show me a first-person multiplayer game with better animations. Very few people grasp how difficult melee combat is to pull off giving the player as much control as needed to make the game feel good and also make it look good. Whenever we faced the choice we sacrificed looks for gameplay, and always will.

i think you guys have done a great job with the whole game, including the animations as well…
    in some gameplay videos they seem a lil bit clumsy to me aswell, but im entirely sure thats because of the ping and the fps issues. with fix 60 FPS and under 80 ping i beleive they would run fluently !

• Animations are well done, I don’t see how it could be improved more, I think it looks much better than M&B, maybe if you watched a video with bad fps/ ping then yes animations could look not so good.

• i must admit i have seen some weird stuff too specially in the first 2 dev blog videos, the animations looked a little … i dunno buggy … but i m sure this company was/is working on all this and i dont think it will stay like that. Just one thing to complain about is that slash looks when it comes from the players right to the left and goes underneath the arm feels for me very unrealistic. in fact that ur playing a bunch of “well” trained soldiers they swing like peasants that never heared something of body balance or something. the best example is this very atmospheric video about the training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXoYdaON4aA i really enjoyed watching it but if u take a look at exactly 6:30 - 6:35 u see the agathian vanguard swingin like hes just trying to do gymnastics or something.

i like the 1h overhead tho its not the most “natural” way to do it for my like but thats really shizl that has nothing to say and personal opinion and all that

U guys must think i hate this game and why dont i gtfo :D but i really really waited a long time for something like this and i just wanted to help as good as i can

• the 2 dev blogs were done very early.

• This is the one I watched:

http://youtu.be/y0kTAW-Un9o?hd=1

I just thought they looked clunky and unpolished.

And “Thrusting” looks horrible when you’re up close. It makes little to no sense. IT was like this in AoC as well.

• hmm i am in the beta, and i never cared about the animations. Ok… maybe some look a little bit weird, but if you are in battle the athmosphere is fastastic and dont let you think about animations… I think they polish what they can and will try to be the best for the fans to enjoy it and will support this game after release… cause it their baby ;-)

• @Mkilbride:

And “Thrusting” looks horrible when you’re up close. It makes little to no sense. IT was like this in AoC as well.

Gameplay > sense. Strafing back and forth while shooting makes no sense but it exists in practically every FPS on the market.

• Personally i don’t agree that the animations are bad in this game (i’m playing the beta btw). Like others have said i think it is mostly lag causing strange looking fights, but in game it usually looks fine apart from one thing; i totally agree about the up-close stab, if you devs have the time it would be great to have stab replaced with a attack with the backside of the weapon instead, as currently it ALWAYS looks strange when weapons, even the smaller ones like the dagger, goes through players because the animation is meant for greater distance. What i’m proposing is differentiation between very close and ‘everything else’ range to the enemy.