Possibly the silliest trick I've ever seen…

• Let’s see if I can describe this right. I wish I caught it on video because I couldn’t believe it actually happened, and with the skill this guy used this trick with, I can’t imagine he’s the only person who uses it.

I was on a duel server and was facing this fellow (knight with a longsword, 2-handing it) who was throwing a whole arsenal of already-ridiculous but fairly common tactics at me. Feints, lookdown-overheads, jump-stabs, and so forth. I’ve gotten fairly used to these so the battle was slow going, until he suddenly turned his back to me, leaned backwards limbo-style, and killed me from behind with an overhead that actually came from underneath me.

I was in no way prepared for this because it’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve yet to see in this game. It’s an example of how ridiculous the arc for these weapons are. It annoys me enough fighting people who lean backwards right before striking to make you parry early, but this is totally different. It also reminds me of a few occasions in the past where I hit allies behind me trying to do overheads, or my weapon hits the hall behind me and gets deflected.

So my thought is this. First off, the arc should be shortened somewhat. If the person isn’t even visible on the top of your screen (or the bottom, for that matter), an overhead should not be able to hit him. (If you’re doing a look-down overhead, you can still see their feet, but often the damage still applies to their head.)
    Secondly, because the beginning and end of your swings would be where the momentum and power are theoretically lowest, Torn Banner should adjust it so that weapons do less damage during the first and last fraction of the swing, and perform their maximum damage in the middle of it. This way, look-down overheads are not as devastating. Especially the instant-hit overheads of polearm weapons, which I’ve yet to see addressed.

Some of what I said has probably been discussed before, but there are so many threads on here. I have other gripes about this game (such as vanguards sprinting like maniacs and doing hit-and-runs, yet remaining unhittable) but of all things, many of the overhead tricks are the most overpowered and difficult to work against.

• Oh yeah I know that move.
    I call it Backslashing myself and discovered it while playing on some clan server.
    They basicly start an overhead and do a 180 degree turn while looking upwards (dont know if crouching helps too).
    It is pretty hard to aim and you need to be very close to your target tho.
    It is only effective when your opponent is not expecting it since one can block or dodge it easily (just aim a bit for his feet when blocking).
    however this move is really fun and if you try it out yourself you´ll see that is requires much skill and is not overpowered.
    8-)

• I’m only a newbie with 33 hours so far on the game but I’ll agree with the guy above me in my limited experience I’ve seen people do this in duels, It has never managed to kill me because you’re committing so much motion to one attack it requires a lot of skill to pull it off and you’re turning your back to the enemy which is a pretty big risk.

• Yeah this pisses me off when I try to parry it. When I don’t I realize a guys is trying to attack me with his back turned with a very short ranged attack (which equals death for them most of the time). More often than not this will get you killed. I know what you’re saying though, it’s silly.

• I guess the reason I’m so bitter over it is that the only time I’ve ever seen it used, it killed me in what was a very even match. I get tired watching people use gimmicky moves to try and beat me. The only time I used any “tricks” would be doing a look-down overhead after kick-stunning a shield user, because their stun window is so small that a lot of primaries can’t land a hit in time. With the new patch, the window’s supposedly longer, so I may not even need that trick anymore.

There are so many fair ways to win in this game that using such a wacky, unrealistic tactic sort of breaks the immersion for me.

• Pfft….People have been whoring this for ages now! You come to expect it from pretty much anyone with a longsword or any vanguard sword on FFA duel servers now days. Most people just showboat with it though, I only know a couple of people that effectively work it into attacks against good opponents, marox and Jetstream spring to mind, although I’m sure there are others that use it well and not just to show off.

It’s easy to do, by the way. Doesn’t even need an explanation of how to do, it’s intuitive and you can practice against BOTS easily enough :)

• I called that this would be about the lookback overhead just by reading the title.

OP, just lol. Lookdown overheads are better in every way, you’re just more used to them.

• This isn’t really valid or practical to use. You are putting yourself at huge risk when you’re doing it. He had no guarantee you would walk right into it. You can parry it just like any other attack. The Vanguard’s polearm alt overhead essentially does the same thing without him having to turn around and expose himself to you.

It’s unfortunate you died to it, but as you stated, it is nothing but a showy gimmick attack and you essentially got cherry tapped.

• I was one of the first who was doing it on the duel servers in europe, and people were going “wow nice” and what not and now people cry about it ? lol

btw, behind parry + backswing counter overhead is the new deal

• @CRUSHED:

btw, behind parry + backswing counter overhead is the new deal

Yeah, you “introduced” me to that little gem with a messer! :D

• this is exactky the kind of stupid unintendedmechanic that puts new players off and keeps this game from moving from good to great. i thought the new patch to live was going o fix this mechanic? i havent played recently, dont know if the patch is live yet

• But you see… it’s sooooo easy to react to and parry.

• @Morgannin09:

Let’s see if I can describe this right. I wish I caught it on video because I couldn’t believe it actually happened, and with the skill this guy used this trick with, I can’t imagine he’s the only person who uses it.

I was on a duel server and was facing this fellow (knight with a longsword, 2-handing it) who was throwing a whole arsenal of already-ridiculous but fairly common tactics at me. Feints, lookdown-overheads, jump-stabs, and so forth. I’ve gotten fairly used to these so the battle was slow going, until he suddenly turned his back to me, leaned backwards limbo-style, and killed me from behind with an overhead that actually came from underneath me.

I was in no way prepared for this because it’s the most ludicrous thing I’ve yet to see in this game. It’s an example of how ridiculous the arc for these weapons are. It annoys me enough fighting people who lean backwards right before striking to make you parry early, but this is totally different. It also reminds me of a few occasions in the past where I hit allies behind me trying to do overheads, or my weapon hits the hall behind me and gets deflected.

So my thought is this. First off, the arc should be shortened somewhat. If the person isn’t even visible on the top of your screen (or the bottom, for that matter), an overhead should not be able to hit him. (If you’re doing a look-down overhead, you can still see their feet, but often the damage still applies to their head.)
    Secondly, because the beginning and end of your swings would be where the momentum and power are theoretically lowest, Torn Banner should adjust it so that weapons do less damage during the first and last fraction of the swing, and perform their maximum damage in the middle of it. This way, look-down overheads are not as devastating. Especially the instant-hit overheads of polearm weapons, which I’ve yet to see addressed.

Some of what I said has probably been discussed before, but there are so many threads on here. I have other gripes about this game (such as vanguards sprinting like maniacs and doing hit-and-runs, yet remaining unhittable) but of all things, many of the overhead tricks are the most overpowered and difficult to work against.

Trying to say you couldnt do it in real life?

• LOL, this is a silly gimmick that barely works in the best of circumstances. It is just a fun little thing for someone to try and get away with, that almost always results in their own death.

Letting people be creative like this is actually a good thing.

• @Harry:

marox and Jetstream

I’m surprised, when Marox and I duel, we don’t get motion sickness.

• It is known as a “Scorpion” :)

• @Phlint95:

It is known as a “Scorpion” :)

Has that caught on yet? :3

• Everyone calls it that :| at least everyone i know…. And i know a lot of people!

• Lean-back overheads comboed into a jump stab are devastating. I use them a lot in duels. I don’t see much reason to complain about alleged “tricks.” People will complain if you feint to get past parries in duels, so with my longsword I will utilize every odd tracer/animation in the game to my advantage. Another thing to note is that it is very much a risk-reward type of scenario. People who duel me often can tell early on what I intend to do and punish me for it. IE: Hitting me with an overhead look-down as I start turning my torso and crouching, and now they can fully exploit my backside. No pun intended.

Point being, take the time to learn your opponents tactics and use them to your advantage.

EDIT: All of this might not even apply anymore because of the recent patch. RIP In peace Chivalry.

• I can’t believe this thread was even made lol. This move is just hilarious, and in no way is cheap or competitive or anything. Also lots of people know about it…very hard to pull off, high risk etc no practical use…Yeah. no. lol