Interesting Weapon Performance Changes

• The damage charts don’t seem to be updated yet, but just from of the patch notes and a bit of testing here’s what I can see. Some interesting weapon changes I’ve noticed:

Sword of War:
    •Needs a head hit on the overhead + thrust combo to 2hit a vanguard. Can often take 4 hits to kill a knight now, barring head hits.

Longsword:
    •Same story as Sword of War: Will sometimes take 3 hits to kill van and 4 hits to kill knight.

Polehammer:
    •2hits knight with thrust + overhead. Pretty sure head hit required. Always 2hits knight with 2 overheads.

Maul:
    •Overhead 1hits knights with head hit!

Claymore:
    •Needs three hits to kill MAA if no thrusts are used, I THINK.
    •Takes 4 hits to kill a knight if no head hits(takes two overhead head hits + 1 thrust hit, or two thrust hits + one overhead head hit).
    •Can no longer 1hit archer unless charge attack? Takes 3 hits more sometimes to kill vanguard. So basically, it sometimes needs 1 more extra hit than we’re used to. I don’t think it’s OP.

Messer:
    •Slash can 1-hit MAA if head hit! Yes? Not sure if it still 2hits knights with 2 overheads. I don’t think they changed the overhead damage away from swingblunt like they did to the slash.

Saber:
    •Saber always 2hits archer with 2 overheads.
    •Can 2hit MAA with 2 overheads, one a head hit.
    •Will often kill van in 3 hits.
    •Requires 5 hits on knight with no head hits, but a head hit is likely in the span of 4 attacks, so might often only take 4 hits to kill knight?
    •Toss in some backstab damage and saber is a good weapon now. With the windup and combo speed buffs plus the range advantage over shorty and stick, I’d say it’s strong vs light classes, and viable vs heavies.

Heavy Javelin:
    •Thrust backstab does 105 pierce. That’s enough to 1hit any class except knight with a head hit(probably need to jump to hit head).

Bearded Axe:
    •Can 1hit archer now with head hit of its super fast overhead. I think.

Hunting Knife:
    Is really fun! The increased size means more reach, combined with it’s speed and combo times makes it almost viable in serious play. Just won an FFA with it. XD Can’t catch a person running away from you though. Not with slash at least. Haven’t tried thrust.

Also, something I noticed about archer melee: due to the increased knockback on a lot of van primaries, I’m getting drained of stam FAST in melee when I parry. Is stam drain tied to knockback amount? This is making archers much less viable in melee.

Anyone notice any other interesting changes?

• Aren’t Heavy Crossbows the only Crossbow capable of 1-shotting Knights now? Technically a nerf to the Crossbow, but it gives Heavy its own niche now.

• Heavy Javelin:
    •Thrust backstab does 105 pierce. That’s enough to 1hit any class except knight with a head hit(probably need to jump to hit head).

Bit weird, shouldn’t the Shortspear be better at melee? Would have thought that would be the focus of them, heavier jav = better at throwing, shortspear = shite thrown damage, but decent melee. Normal jav inbetween of course.

Always loved the saber, very fast, decent reach, ok damage if used on someone who’s already been shot heh. Be interesting if it’s even better now, hopefully not too strong but will see.

• Thanks Tobi for the info,
    I knew that the knight´s swords are getting nerfed, and I fear it is going to affect my playstyle and weapon preference greatly. I was a heavy SoW user because it was a weapon that would kill and not fuck around with anybody.

So I guess I´ll just play for a bit and see how it goes…

• Just played a couple of rounds on TB Official TO, and above all else I noticed….

Why does the Claymore strike like lightning now? I mean, I topped the charts on castle Agatha just messing around with the charge mechanic and testing out the general use of the claymore, no srsbsns or any shenanigans. I could walk up to someone, get parried, then just spam into a near instant second strike for giggles.

I thought maybe I was going crazy, but Gas and Helios saw the silly display as well. So ya, while they gimped the damage of it, it feels like a super long, super fast norse sword now.

PS. Canceling a Claymore strike to avoid team mates (due to the new feint rule) is a tad… difficult. Fast speed - 200 ms = narrow window to not chop your buddy in half.

• I didn’t think this would happen but the patch has affected my play style greatly, the game really feels different now. The overall pace of the game feels a lot slower, I really need to get used to this, hehe. Also, the morningstar is WAY slower now, like by a lot. Other then that, it seems like the no stamina block stuns take just too long. It’s a full 2 seconds of daze time now, that’s like….fatal.

• Honestly the claymore doesn’t feel OP to me, at least the windup times. It really does often take an extra hit now, and the range seems to be reduced, though that might be because of release speed increases.

The thing about it that may be a bit too stronk is the combo times. It means that you can often land a second hit without their parry being ready again if they missed the first. I say we give it time though before a nerf decision is made.

• Right, only played a couple of games to test the waters before dinner. Whats more I suppose it could simply be that people aren’t used to a lot of the weapon speed changes, so a lot of people that took up now-slower weapons weren’t prepared…

Anyone do a good once over on arrows yet?

• What’s really off putting though is that fighting more then 2 opponents at this point is really hard to pull off, because you’re simply too slow to really counter so much shit coming at you right now.

• Dont use the other two knight swords enough to say if the changes are that bad for them, but i hate the sow changes. Feels awkward to use.

• @JCash:

Dont use the other two knight swords enough to say if the changes are that bad for them, but i hate the sow changes. Feels awkward to use.

I know some very upset Kuhniggits over this one.

• “Interesting” is an interesting way to put it, Tobi…

• @Pilgore:

What’s really off putting though is that fighting more then 2 opponents at this point is really hard to pull off, because you’re simply too slow to really counter so much shit coming at you right now.

Yeah, the feint-to-parry change really destroyed my ability to 1vMany. Forced to do more kiting, less face-to-face now.

• @Daiyuki:

“Interesting” is an interesting way to put it, Tobi…

Everyone is being so dramatic! I haven’t found any weapon balance changes that seem terrible to me yet.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

@Daiyuki:

“Interesting” is an interesting way to put it, Tobi…

Everyone is being so dramatic! I haven’t found any weapon balance changes that seem terrible to me yet.

SOW nerf is pretty bad.

Dagger/shortsword in the hands of an archer is much more powerful than it should be

claymore is super strong

qstaff is very very powerful.

• Remember all those people complaining how nobody uses the brandistock right?

Brandistock slash windup/release/recovery from .6/.6/.7 to .45/.45/.65
    Brandistock stab windup/release/recovery from .7/.4/.725 to .55/.35/.65 and damage from 60 to 65
    Brandistock overhead damage from 90 to 95

• I was a heavy SoW user because it was a weapon that would kill and not fuck around with anybody.

This was because the SoW was easiest the best Knight weapon to use. It had to be toned down a little bit.

Pre-patch I loved 1vMany combat. Had to think quick and play smart. I haven’t really had a chance yet to give 1VsMany a go, however based on my 1v1’s I feel it will be much harder. I also suspect FFA will be almost all Vanguard with Claymore or Knights with Maul just spamming away.

I used to be able to regularly go 50/10 or better in a 20 person FFA because I could do 1vsMany fights very well and could easily outpace the medium-skilled players running around spamming LMB and kiting. Now without the 1VsMany combat I think FFA is dead skill-wise.

• @Toll:

I was a heavy SoW user because it was a weapon that would kill and not fuck around with anybody.

This was because the SoW was easiest the best Knight weapon to use. It had to be toned down a little bit.

Pre-patch I loved 1vMany combat. Had to think quick and play smart. I haven’t really had a chance yet to give 1VsMany a go, however based on my 1v1’s I feel it will be much harder. I also suspect FFA will be almost all Vanguard with Claymore or Knights with Maul just spamming away.

I used to be able to regularly go 50/10 or better in a 20 person FFA because I could do 1vsMany fights very well and could easily outpace the medium-skilled players running around spamming LMB and kiting. Now without the 1VsMany combat I think FFA is dead skill-wise.

I watched a knight kite with messer and wreck a whole FFA server… Used feints like nobody’s business and ate the server alive. Great patch. Chivalry: Kiting Warfare is the new game I guess… GG TB call me when the game is fixed.

• @Pilgore:

What’s really off putting though is that fighting more then 2 opponents at this point is really hard to pull off, because you’re simply too slow to really counter so much shit coming at you right now.

this is a good thing, not a bad thing

• @Krellus:

@Pilgore:

this is a good thing, not a bad thing

Its a pretty bad thing… lowers the skill ceiling

before 1vgroup was incredibly difficult but possible if you were much better or they let their guard down. now its /impossibru/