Your verdict on the new patch

• Is it good? Is it bad? Could it have been done better? Are there things they just shouldn’t have touched?

Feints are fine now. We wanted feints nerfed, and thats a given. As for the rest of the game, I don’t think its that bad, but it’s not that good either. What happened for the people moaning about archers? (I am and was one of them.) Torn Banner must have known fine well that no one really liked archers in the first place, yet they got buffed… Overall the game just feels really watered down and far from as immersive as it was before the patch. The only thing that really bugs me about this patch is the projectile weapons… almost all of them got buffed–not just their damage, but some of their effects as well (such as flinch amount.) And, another thing, I don’t know if this is just me, but it feels alot faster in terms of combat, and in my opinion is a little too fast. It’s quite a bit harder to block properly when 3 people are swinging their swords at you faster than they used to be able to. Before the patch it was actually not too hard blocking all their attacks simultaneously if lined up properly, enabling me to get to safety, but now I can’t do this hence why it feels so bland. Anyway, that’s my current take on the update, and unfortunately im not as impressed by it as I thought I would be.

• You might want to modify the poll so we can change our minds later.

• @gregcau:

You might want to modify the poll so we can change our minds later.

Done, you can now change your vote whenever you want. Also added another option.

• Feint nerf is a step in the right direction. Imo they didn’t go far enough but its the best we will see.

M@arms dodge change was balanced out with a movement speed increase that makes them OP. Should have just been hit with a straight dodge nerf of some kind more severe than whatever happened, with no buff to movement.

All of the weapon balance changes seem rushed, poorly thought out, and just bad. Wish they did not occur.

My overall verdict is a strong ‘meh.’ I prefer the new game /only/ because I value the changed feint so highly. Aside from that everything seems like a miss.

• @JCash:

Feint nerf is a step in the right direction. Imo they didn’t go far enough but its the best we will see.

M@arms dodge change was balanced out with a movement speed increase that makes them OP. Should have just been hit with a straight dodge nerf of some kind more severe than whatever happened, with no buff to movement.

All of the weapon balance changes seem rushed, poorly thought out, and just bad. Wish they did not occur.

My overall verdict is a strong ‘meh.’ I prefer the new game /only/ because I value the changed feint so highly. Aside from that everything seems like a miss.

I agree, the feint nerf is enough to keep me playing it but they could have better thought out the balance of the weapons, or at least just balanced the ones that really needed changing. The sword of war, in my opinion, was fine the way it was. Same with the claymore, but they just had to go and change a few things around when no one was really whining about any aspect of them, alongside some other forgotten weapons no one really cared about.

• I like the new feint changes, except for the unfeintable window. I like having control over my swings.

• As a MAA, I feel nerfed =\

With the feint nerf, they have also nerfed canceling your attack. This was a REQUIRED technique to beating skilled highly skilled knights. Now they can just hit trade all day.

They’ve tightened the window on combos and the foot speed is not enough to make up for removing dodge attack IMO.

Bearded Axe is BLINDINGLY fast.

• @BOT:

As a MAA, I feel nerfed =\

With the feint nerf, they have also nerfed canceling your attack. This was a REQUIRED technique to beating skilled highly skilled knights. Now they can just hit trade all day.

You just need to adapt how you play, M@arms rips apart knights in duels. Maybe if you relied on that one move, charge attack you’ll be nerfd. So many other tactics you can do

• lol maa is by far the strongest class now actually

anyway patch is shit for obvious reasons

• I feel like the skill ceiling was lowered by quite a bit.

• @BOT:

They’ve tightened the window on combos and the foot speed is not enough to make up for removing dodge attack IMO.

Meh, I disagree. I feel the MAA class has actually been buffed a bit and somehow harder to block due to the fact that the game overall feels sped up, hence making maa’s seem even faster despite their latest nerfs. The blocking on 2h vs 1h feels a bit out of place as well; the 1h recovers faster than the 2h after a block which is pretty dumb if you ask me. I know latter will be pushed further away due to the simple fact that a 2h is heaver than a 1h but for that same reason the 2h should still recover from blocks quicker.

• @Luc0z:

@BOT:

Meh, I disagree. I feel the MAA class has actually been buffed a bit and somehow harder to block due to the fact that the game overall feels sped up, hence making maa’s seem even faster despite their latest nerfs. The blocking on 2h vs 1h feels a bit out of place as well; the 1h recovers faster than the 2h after a block which is pretty dumb if you ask me. I know latter will be pushed further away due to the simple fact that a 2h is heaver than a 1h but for that same reason the 2h should still recover from blocks quicker.

I still think that the game is MUCH slower as a MAA post patch. Combat is much more one dimensional.

Not sure about 2h vs 1h, as I play with MAA / Archer mostly.

Glad they had time to fix lookdownOverheads though. They are practically unbeatable now.

• @BOT:

@Luc0z:

@BOT Chris:

I still think that the game is MUCH slower as a MAA post patch. Combat is much more one dimensional.

Not sure about 2h vs 1h, as I play with MAA / Archer mostly.

Glad they had time to fix lookdownOverheads though. They are practically unbeatable now.

Yeah I’m glad they didn’t go too overboard with the weapon balancing. Good to know that they knew we didn’t want a complete overhaul. I’m also thankful I can still do that good old 180 reverse overhead :)

• Claymore. Wow. That’s all.

• The nerf to the longsword and sword of war were hilarious. Suddenly secondaries become my primaries. My primaries become the funky decorations lined on my back because there’s no reason to use them anymore. Is it just me or does movement feel slower for the heavier classes for no apparent reason? Vanguards look real pretty. Claymores didn’t have a point, now they have every reason in the world to use them.

More to come later, I’m sure.

• Guys you have to account for the expanded player bubble when it comes to blocking/parrying 1handed weapons. Your muscles are ‘calibrated’ to parry/block 1handers at point blank range, so you instinctively move your mouse hand just the right amount to block it, it should be done without thinking.

So now with the new bubble, you have to retrain those muscles to instinctively move just that little bit less/more/whatever. To begin with, this will give you an overall feeling that something isn’t right or that it is harder or whatever. The key is to take the time to retrain your muscles, it should only take a couple of days of good practice, less if you are accustomed to retraining (like real life archery and changing bows, or changing from one bicycle to another slightly bigger one).

• claymore is SO op now.

knight sword nerf needs to be reverted, it makes them all terribly useless.

• I think the only thing I can say I like out of it is the change to kick.

MaA weapons and dodge nerf was unnecessary imo, claymore changes just don’t make any sense to me, and I liked the feint comboing opportunities pre-patch.

Like someone above me said, the skill level ceiling was definitely lowered.

Also, I dunno about everyone else but I’m getting constant weapon unlocks becoming unavailable at the start of new games. Albeit all you have to do is ‘reconnect’ in console, but still an inconvenience.

• I feel sort of silly giving feedback after only about 2-3 hours of play, but I really didn’t have fun playing today.

Combo feint to parry was too strong before, I agree. But the solution shouldn’t have been to remove the mechanic all together. All that does is limit options and lower the skill ceiling. Making it cost more stamina, or making it unripostable, or something other than removing it would have made so much more sense.

Why was the longsword nerfed? I have 230 hours (admittedly a lot less than a lot of people here) and not once have I heard anyone say the longsword was overpowered. Making other weapons viable, like what was done with the double axe, makes so much more sense than nerfing something that isn’t broken.

It’s good that claymore and polehammer were buffed, but now there’s no reason to use anything else on vanguard.

I think the feint changes are fine and I like the kick addition. The bug fixes are great too. But I don’t see why things that are clearly broken weren’t the focus of this patch.

Over-all, it just feels clumsy. I’m sure I’ll get used to it in time, and I may come to like the changes, but changes need to stop being made to things that don’t need any fixing.

• I feel like I am getting more bugs and more lag than ever before. I teleported through a wall earlier and have desync so bad, I cannot defend myself whatsoever.

Maul “buff” is nice being able to one shot knights, but I miss my drags already.

Archer daggers seem obnoxiously OP now (maybe not if I didn’t have all the lag, who knows?)

Vanguard sprint doesn’t seem as useless now (still sorta bad, but at least has some “umph” to it)

So far, I feel like the patch was a negative thing overall.