Momentum

• How will player movement effect his ability to attack in BfA? In AoC momentum wasn’t even a factor in how much damage/type of swing you could do. Example, Guardsmen starting a forward stab move while running forward and at the end of the animation turning around, making him a 360 degree killing machine.

Another example, being able to get the same range running backward with a javelin than you would moving forward or not at all. I’ve never seen someone throw a javelin while running backwards :lol:

One more example, using any of the “heavy” weapons (halberd, hammer, War Axe) you could continue your swing even if you’re struck with considerable force. Almost like it never happened. Will this change in BfA?

• Developer

I’m very glad someone has asked this question, the addition of momentum will be one of the biggest changes in Chivalry’s gameplay. Sprinting players will not be able to whip around on a dime like in aoc, but instead will have to make a more gradual turn just like is necessary in real life, this alone will help to make the combat a lot more dynamic and less “drive-by slashing” style of gameplay.

Chivalry will also include sprint attacks, which will be useful during the initial charge into battle, dealing additional damage but taking longer to recover after performing, sprint attacks add another dynamic to the combat based on momentum.

We have unique systems planned for each of the ranged weapon types in the game, but we’re not quite ready to go into detail on these systems at the moment. I can however say that the javelin will indeed be momentum based.

In Chivalry, it will be possible to land certain strikes that will place your opponent off balance, also known as “flinching” him, which will interrupt any other action he is performing, including an attack, not all attacks will have this effect of course.

• Well, all this sounds cool, but regarding that last piece about flinching, I think every hit should flinch, a hit with a good weapon of course not the daggers f.e. , beacause if your opponent can hit you while you hit him that removes much of the tactics and it becomes trading hits.

• Developer

Indeed, we have to be a bit careful though about what makes a player flinch because it is a multiplayer game, so you could be getting hit by a lot of people in a short time span which could result in a frustrating situation. As a result, we are planning on only having counter strikes and sprint attacks flinch, at the moment anyway. A counter strike is any strike landed on your opponent while he is at any point in his swing, be it the windup, attack or recovery. So if a player is not trying to attack and you hit him, you won’t flinch him, this will help reduce the “paralyzing” feel that flinches sometimes have in other games. It also has some real-life basis with the inclusion of counter strikes as well so it is intuitive and that’s always a main goal as well.

• Oh interesting. Yea the only disadvantage with flinching is that for example an arrow could hit you and flinch you or some random team attack or anything, many times in aoch these scenarios took place.

I am looking forward on seeing this system you talk about in game.

• Really glad to here that Tibberious.

@-Slash-:

Oh interesting. Yea the only disadvantage with flinching is that for example an arrow could hit you and flinch you or some random team attack or anything, many times in aoch these scenarios took place.

I think if I got hit by an arrow during a swing it would definitely deter my actions. :(

• Weapon momentun should also be taken into account. With this also affecting the block system, so the heavier the weapon the more damage it will do, the heavier the flinch if it hits right. A large bloke swinging a massive hammer around isn’t going to be readily stopped if he’s running at full pace; niether is his hammer for that matter.

• @PsychoAlex:

Weapon momentun should also be taken into account. With this also affecting the block system, so the heavier the weapon the more damage it will do, the heavier the flinch if it hits right. A large bloke swinging a massive hammer around isn’t going to be readily stopped if he’s running at full pace; niether is his hammer for that matter.

You mean like this?

@Tibberius:

Chivalry will also include sprint attacks, which will be useful during the initial charge into battle, dealing additional damage but taking longer to recover after performing, sprint attacks add another dynamic to the combat based on momentum.

Having a large flinch while having a long recover time would make no difference unless it was so long that your victim dies of boredom before you can follow up. Plus he already said it will be mostly only counterattacks.

• @Tibberius:

Indeed, we have to be a bit careful though about what makes a player flinch because it is a multiplayer game, so you could be getting hit by a lot of people in a short time span which could result in a frustrating situation. As a result, we are planning on only having counter strikes and sprint attacks flinch, at the moment anyway. A counter strike is any strike landed on your opponent while he is at any point in his swing, be it the windup, attack or recovery. So if a player is not trying to attack and you hit him, you won’t flinch him, this will help reduce the “paralyzing” feel that flinches sometimes have in other games. It also has some real-life basis with the inclusion of counter strikes as well so it is intuitive and that’s always a main goal as well.

Flinching is not ideal solution, but if you hit someone, it should affect opposing player somehow. Do you plan to introduce some mechanism (like pain OR stun OR bleeding OR wounds) that counter ‘hit for hit’ mechanic ? Flinching sometimes is also not bad (like in scenario with high momentum or with head hit or leading arm hit).

• Developer

The flinch, in a sense acts as both pain and a short stun. There will be no bleeding or crippled effects in the game, the reason for that is because we don’t want to limit a players potential on the battlefield by imposing restrictions or limitations on how dominant you can be, if you are a skilled player.

• @Tibberius:

The flinch, in a sense acts as both pain and a short stun. There will be no bleeding or crippled effects in the game, the reason for that is because we don’t want to limit a players potential on the battlefield by imposing restrictions or limitations on how dominant you can be, if you are a skilled player.

Flinch act as pain and short stun, yes, but in a very limited sense (it’s 0 1, either it works or it does not works). I asked for non-linked together pain and stun systems.

I guess main game mode will be battle with objectives with respawn ? It make sense in such game mode to not limit potential to prevent suicide rushes. But, in battle with no respawn and in sieges, wounds and bleeding makes perfect sense. Also, bleeding can be also used as additional damage over time (it would allow nice mutual kills).