This patch forces much slower fighting.. my thoughts

• Hopefully the gameplay for less experienced players is a bit more fun and easier to handle now, but it’s not for me and I’ll explain why.
    Constantly starved for stamina, no combo feigning (I can see it being too powerful against someone who doesn’t know what’s going on, but with two very good fighters, it allowed for some great psychological play and was incredibly fast paced), unable to recover if out of stamina when hit / can’t parry…

This sounds good on paper, but what this all means is you cannot be as active as you could before. You have to slow down your fighting. You cannot be nearly as aggressive this patch, and so the fighting has slowed down considerably. It all results in less risks, excessive stamina preservation, a lot of standing around, single swings (combos are very risky with very little reward… backwards)…

It is much more fair to everyone I think, everyone being beginners and up. This is great for games that don’t want high skill ceilings. That’s all very subjective to what players are looking for in a game. But either way, the skill ceiling has dropped dramatically and if you try to go above this new ceiling like you could before in the old patch, it’ll get you killed very quickly.

I don’t know how others feel but this is what I’ve gathered so far. It’s not nearly as fun or intense anymore… It is only frustrating. But again, that’s just me.

I wish we could have servers with a different set of rules to allow for faster gameplay / more stamina / combo feigning / etc. Some sort of expert or hardcore mode or something. That way if you don’t like this style of gameplay or can’t keep up yet, you’ll have other servers you can play on that use rules like this current patch. Just an idea.

Anyway I think that’s about it. Just want my voice to be heard is all. I love this game and last patch was pretty amazing. This current patch sort of went the opposite direction of what I was falling in love with (very fast paced with skilled players), but I’m not the only player here of course.

• I have not even gotten to have a melee engagement, been headshotted by archers with increased projectile speed before getting to the fight.

• @yayorbitgum:

Hopefully the gameplay for less experienced players is a bit more fun and easier to handle now, but it’s not for me and I’ll explain why.
    Constantly starved for stamina, no combo feigning (I can see it being too powerful against someone who doesn’t know what’s going on, but with two very good fighters, it allowed for some great psychological play and was incredibly fast paced), unable to recover if out of stamina when hit / can’t parry…

This sounds good on paper, but what this all means is you cannot be as active as you could before. You have to slow down your fighting. You cannot be nearly as aggressive this patch, and so the fighting has slowed down considerably. It all results in less risks, excessive stamina preservation, a lot of standing around, single swings (combos are very risky with very little reward… backwards)…

It is much more fair to everyone I think, everyone being beginners and up. This is great for games that don’t want high skill ceilings. That’s all very subjective to what players are looking for in a game. But either way, the skill ceiling has dropped dramatically and if you try to go above this new ceiling like you could before in the old patch, it’ll get you killed very quickly.

I don’t know how others feel but this is what I’ve gathered so far. It’s not nearly as fun or intense anymore… It is only frustrating. But again, that’s just me.

I wish we could have servers with a different set of rules to allow for faster gameplay / more stamina / combo feigning / etc. Some sort of expert or hardcore mode or something. That way if you don’t like this style of gameplay or can’t keep up yet, you’ll have other servers you can play on that use rules like this current patch. Just an idea.

Anyway I think that’s about it. Just want my voice to be heard is all. I love this game and last patch was pretty amazing. This current patch sort of went the opposite direction of what I was falling in love with (very fast paced with skilled players), but I’m not the only player here of course.

I 100% agree with you. Something needs to be done. Hopefully mods are released and classic gameplay servers are put up, with old rules and more fun ways to play. This is an archer patch, forcefield bubble, daggers that have shortsword length but retain how fast they are… My favorite game has been ruined. All at the hands of people who whine “OP” and “NOT OP ENOUGH”. Good job inviting new players and great job pushing current players away.

• I can’t figure out what is making it feel slow. Is the .1 alt change or is animation changes.

It is super easy to parry everyone now but its not clear what changed.

• Didn’t the windup times become longer? I noticed it took longer to counter after parry and my timing was a little off in general.

• They speed many of the weapons up. More things were speed up.

How is it slower?

Feinting is it? Only thing I can think of.

Alt attacks being 0.1 seconds slower on the windup isn’t gonna make It slower.

• To me, the removal of the combo->feint->parry is what really slows it down. I’m mainly speaking of dueling but the consequences are similar in team fights. I tend to square off against my opponent for a lot longer now at the beginning and during resets because without the combofeintparry, if I make a mistake, I’m going to pay for it. And the parry from recovery is a HUGE stam hit. Lose lose to initiate.

• @KevLar:

To me, the removal of the combo->feint->parry is what really slows it down. I’m mainly speaking of dueling but the consequences are similar in team fights. I tend to square off against my opponent for a lot longer now at the beginning and during resets because without the combofeintparry, if I make a mistake, I’m going to pay for it. And the parry from recovery is a HUGE stam hit. Lose lose to initiate.

Well it wasn’t working as intended.

The previous way it means that if you made a mistake you weren’t punished for it.

When you make a mistake your suppose to pay for it. Unless you dodge, duck, jump or do the matrix. The last 3 being hard to pull off but worth it if you do.

Don’t make mistakes.

And many people like the longer duels. A long uniterupted duel is brilliant. Spamming right click to combo feint parry isn’t.

Then again some people like yourself just like winning dishonourably.

• I don’t really feel that combat is slower overall. Just that timings are weird- like faster but with more “gaps”.

• It seems like the patch supports 1v1 fights more then 1v2 or 3 etc. Managing more then 1 opponent at this point is really tough and almost impossible to pull off. And that’s really sad, it seems like more team work is needed now and you can’t really lone wolf it as much as before because when you get surrounded you’re pretty much fucked.

Now that has up and downsides to it of course, I like that now you need to rely more on your team mates and that team play is now more encouraged. On the other hand, the skill ceiling has most definitely been lowered, in that if you’re on your own the chance of being overwhelmed is much more likely now. I don’t feel confident in going off on my own in LTS now, because I know I’m more then likely fucked if I come a cross the Agatha or Mason train.

I always felt that the combat system for this game was always more biased towards 1v1 engagements, when facing more then 2 or 3 opponents it gets pretty hard, but it was doable. And the better you got at the game the easier it became to fight multiple opponents at the same time, and the kick you get out of killing 2 to 3 players on your own was always awesome. Now I haven’t played the game enough post-patch to really make up my mind about this yet, but atm it seems like these kind of situations are either VERY hard to pull off or just plain impossible. Unless you’re fighting mister rank 5 and his friend rank 3.

And that’s just super sad, like……I’m really bummed out about that. Why not just make it a duel 1v1 based game then? Unless of course you have a good communicating tight knit team when doing LTS or TDM or any other team based mode. But how likely is it that you’re gonna come a cross a server with those kind of players other then pugs or scrims? Yeah not really.

TL;DR: When you see more then 1 or 2 opponents coming at you, fucking run.

• Before patch it seemed that a skilled player who used everything at their disposal, all the mechanics, quick reactions, clever footwork, positioning and timing could really dominate. That’s what’s great about competitive games, players who put the time in and have the skill can dominate by quite some margin.

Prior to playing chivalry I played Tribes Ascend and Starcraft 2. These games much like chivalry pre-patch allow a superior player to run circles around their inferior opponent in an almost balletic display of virtuosity.

Post patch your reaction time, clever positioning, understanding and execution of the mechanics just mean a lot less and they won’t allow you to dominate an inferior opponent by much of a margin. Sure, the better player probably still wins 9 times out of 10, but it doesn’t actually feel proportional to skill. The skill ceiling has inarguably been lowered.

• Is everyone saying it feels slower now because people actually have to deal with recovery times and stamina ACTUALLY matters?

• Yeah, this patch definitely put the brakes on the gameplay speed. It’s no where near as fun any more for high skilled players. When pubbing, you find your self taking much longer to take out someone 1vs1 and then his 4 other friends show up and your chances of winning are way worse than before. You could easily win 1vs5s consistently if you were -that- good, but now it’s not going to happen nearly as often, which is not a good thing. Also, I’ve noticed kicks to be very unreliable now (the heavy kick doesn’t seem to work at all) so shield users will make those long duels even tougher since you can’t get around their shield nearly as well, and you can’t kick daze them anymore.

I’m glad Torn Banner listens to their playerbase, but I fear they listen to the wrong players too much. Oh well, good players will just have to continue to adapt as always.

• I agree that this patch has ruined the skill based play.
    I play since the release, and it’s extremely hard to get used to this new patch.

This patch has pretty much ruined my favorite game, and the important point here is:
    It was my favorite game because it was extremely skillful and competitive. It was possible to dominate 1vs3 fights, JUST BECAUSE YOU PLAY BETTER <- and that’s the way games should be today.

I loved chivalry because it was the only new-generation game where this was possible.
    I played it like that for so long, and right now it’s extremely frustrating, not the least fun anymore.
    But I’ll give it some more time. I hope i can adjust and laugh again like i did in those crazy fights, but slowly I get the feeling that there won’t be such “crazy fights” anymore.

Fact is: This game got much more casual, exactly like every other game today. and I’m really pissed about that.

• @OP Combo is still a good way to take down opponents quickly, you just can’t spam combo while running towards someone yet still be immune because you can feint parry.

• @lemonater47:

And many people like the longer duels. A long uniterupted duel is brilliant. Spamming right click to combo feint parry isn’t.

Then again some people like yourself just like winning dishonourably.

You mean to tell me you didn’t use combofeintparry? The fact that you know of it means that you know how to use it so it must have been a conscious choice not to. If that’s the case, more power to you. Personally, I’m guessing you used it as much as the rest of the high rankers.

I guess on the particular duel server I play on there is “honor among thieves” so to speak since all of us used combofeintparry. Some of us just choose to push the mechanics further than others.

• The problem is not really in duels, it’s when facing multiple opponents where the patch’s changes start to become problematic.

• @Pilgore:

The problem is not really in duels, it’s when facing multiple opponents where the patch’s changes start to become problematic.

It is also in duels.

• How do you know? You said that you haven’t even been able to enter into a melee engagement because you keep getting killed by archers. Was that just ridiculous, unhelpful, immature hyperbole?

• @Sidewinder:

Is everyone saying it feels slower now because people actually have to deal with recovery times and stamina ACTUALLY matters?

Stamina always mattered. Now it matters much more to lower level players, because the “combo feint to parry” system is now implemented directly into the game, so you find a lot of the newer players running out of stamina.

Basically… the newer / lower level players are dying at 0 to 20 stamina instead of 80 stamina, because you can parry in recovery now.

Stamina always mattered, period. Stamina consumption got a nerf this patch as well.

The parry mechanics changed to streamline it for the average player, and also to make combo-feinting strictly offensive, so that it is easier to punish.