Potential Solution For Lag in Chivalry!

• I was having horrible ping spikes that ruined the game, literally making it unplayable. Followed the directions from one short Youtube vid, and now my ping never goes above 100, usually below 50. Figured some people in the community could benefit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlahy85zz0s

• Intriguing.

Will test this later.

• Might help TCP based games like MMO’s.

But Chivalry uses UDP so not going to help.

• @gregcau:

Might help TCP based games like MMO’s.

But Chivalry uses UDP so not going to help.

I have no idea what that means, at all :P But I do know you’re wrong. I used it and it immediately improved my experience. Seriously, I haven’t gone over 90 ping since I did it, and I was hitting 500 ALL THE TIME before. I don’t know or care how it works, I’m just happy it does.

• Developer

I’m not a networking expert. It does look like TCP synchronization effects could potentially affect UDP connections. If turning off delayed ACKs reduces the synchronization effects somehow or whatever (*it’ll also decrease overall link use efficiency), then this could maybe help in some circumstances. This is probably more likely to help in games that actually use TCP though…

• He just made the frequency lower than the default frequency and took out the delay.

So with UDP based games you shouldn’t expect that much of a drop. But in theory it should be more stable and more reliable.

TCP would be horrible for any real time game. Its so damn slow. And you can only send one thing at a time and you have to wait for confirmation.

For turn based or MMO games like WOW or LOL it will work great. For real time strategies it would work a lot better too as commanding units using TCP. But for real time FpS games its not gonna do much.

• Developer

What that registry change does is force Windows to ACK packets immediately, essentially stopping it from using Nagle’s Algorithm for ACKs. UDP doesn’t require acknowledgements, the only reason you’d see any change for UDP is if TCP issues were slowing down UDP, and the change reduced those issues somehow (see my last post).

• Guys, again, you can argue computer stuff all you want. For me, it was a perfect fix. I don’t know why, and it may not work for everyone, but my ping spikes completely stopped IMMEDIATELY after I did this.

• Possibly because something on your puter is using your network card via TCP and causing it to choke whilst it waits for ACK’s or something along those lines. I would be a bit concerned if you don’t have anything running, it could be a trojan type thing.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

I’m not a networking expert. It does look like TCP synchronization effects could potentially affect UDP connections. If turning off delayed ACKs reduces the synchronization effects somehow or whatever (*it’ll also decrease overall link use efficiency), then this could maybe help in some circumstances. This is probably more likely to help in games that actually use TCP though…

I defer to Crustacean, my was response was a generic understand of networking. There is always more to learn and networking is not my strength.