Double Parry

• The ability to use one panic parry during parry recovery.

It would cost 20-25 stamina and would be useable once per normal parry, for a total of 2 parries.

It would reduce the need for feint changes that take control away from the player.

Thoughts?

• It was originally (unintentionally) like this in the beta, but… it was pretty silly.

• Yeah. Something like it. I think you should have a chance to parry feints. I don’t like how feints are almost free hits. I don’t think feint should be removed though, because it’s a common and important technique in… all kinds of fighting. I just don’t like how they implemented it. If you see someone strike for your head, you’re gonna try and be faster and block your head. If you then see him redirecting his blow towards your knee, you’re not gonna keep blocking your head. You’re gonna try and block your knee but you’re not the faster one anymore, there’s a good chance you will be too slow to block it. Something like that should be in the game.

You should be able to parry twice during the same time someone is hitting you with a sword with average speed. If you are good/fast, you will manage to parry the feint. Sure, Torn Banner could make it so that you will not always be fast enough to reach out with that parry. But maybe it would feel better than how it is now - you see an attack coming for your head, you parry, the attack is feinted and goes for your knee, your arm is tired from the first parry so you let him hit you in the knee.

I wouldn’t mind if this parry would cost a bit more stamina. Though there should of course be a limit to how many parries you can do during a short amount of time. Regular block and then “OMG it’s a feint!”-block. Then there’s a cooldown or whatever, a small amount of time where you can’t spam blocks because you’re not ninja, you’re just a human with a sense of self-preservation.

I also think it should be easier to parry attacks that are feinted that come from the same direction. Like LMB - feint - LMB is easy to parry, while overhead - feint - stab would be harder.

EDIT: How’s so, Sly?

• I think it was only silly in the beta because you could do it as many times as you wanted in a row, until you ran out of stamina. I think if you could only do two parries in a row it would be fine.

Perhaps make the second parry active for a time shorter than the normal parry. Maybe something like 0.2 seconds, so they would have to be meticulously timed.

• @SlyGoat:

It was originally (unintentionally) like this in the beta, but… it was pretty silly.

@XaleUdo:

I think it was only silly in the beta because you could do it as many times as you wanted in a row, until you ran out of stamina. I think if you could only do two parries in a row it would be fine.

Perhaps make the second parry active for a time shorter than the normal parry. Maybe something like 0.2 seconds, so they would have to be meticulously timed.

This.

And make it have a proper animation.

• I really really really like this idea. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t like feints, in fact, I stopped using them altogether, except against maa (but they deserve it). That being said, all of these feint changes/restrictions take away so much of the freedom, control, and flexibility that made Chivalry’s combat great.

I don’t see why the feint nerf couldn’t have just been massively increased stamina cost, such that you would only use feint strategically after testing your opponent and not spam it. I understand this might not work, and I don’t know too much of the game’s mechanics to be fair.

However, this solution seems reasonable and it would be great if all the feint restrictions were removed as it seriously hinders gameplay, in my opinion.

• In favor

• I think it’s funny that there isn’t much of a commotion about feints at the moment because of the backlash of the latest patch.

Anywho, I’d like to beat the dead horse little.

This idea I don’t think has gotten enough attention.
    I think it’s a much better solution to the feinting “issue” than changing how much of your attack you can feint, timings and the god awful idea of an audio “grunt” queue.

It ties in with the parry out of recovery mechanic pretty nicely, it was implemented by a bug on accident in one of the betas and everyone seemed to think it was on purpose and completely dismissed the idea.

It would just be a second parry that you could queue in recovery for the cost of 25 stamina.
    If you land the second parry you would be unable to riposte, this would maintain the attackers favor in the momentum of the fight and the stamina management.

Perhaps even further the second “panic” parry would have a longer recovery time than a normal parry but NOT a longer active parry window.

The “panic” parry would NOT be able to be comboed into anything else, you either parry the attack or you miss and have to recover.

This is a simple and intuitive fix. This doens’t give the defender the advantage it just eliminates the 50/50 that feinting and combo feinting creates.

I don’t believe any amount of timing tweaking or stamina cost tweaking is going to solve the issue, the problem the entire time was with parrying.

I doubt this will ever see the light of day though, TB and a lot of the community is set on feinting be the end all be all to land a hit on an opponent who’s learned how to parry.

Rev up dem mods people.

• I like this. Always felt that a buff to your defenses against feints would be better than nerfing feints themselves. Less knock-on effects.

• If this was to be implemented, we could scrap the unfeintable window which makes the game awkward for some people.