I love this patch

• Despite most of the posts relating to the new patch as being negative, I congratulate Torn Banner on the (almost, could be a couple of tweaks) flawless patch on improving combat. No more must I put up with those dishonourable combo-feinting knaves, feinting is no longer a get out of jail free card!

Long duels when it comes to 1v1? Excellent! Now you can really feel the tension in an epic duel rather than it being over in a fairly short time due to a combination of feint-spamming and exploits.

Absolutely loving the maul, one shot kill if it makes contact with a knight on the head as it should be. If the haters would like to know why, well. It’s a maul. If you take the high risk opportunity to attack your opponent and you miss, you are at a huge disadvantage due to the shear weight of the maul you will be left defenseless.

Regarding the MAA nerf: It was a fairly heavy nerf HOWEVER, everyone moaning about this should learn to adapt and create new techniques. The MAA is (shock horror!) still a good class.

Overall, cheers Torn Banner!

• Get ready to be lynched.

• My body is ready.

• @mrenglishking:

My body is ready.

What about your soul?

• Bumping this thread, for the love of sweet Jesus.

• @quigleyer:

@mrenglishking:

My body is ready.

What about your soul?

Judging by how passionate some people are and argue against those with “inferior” opinions and how likely I am to be flamed, I’m sure that this will be my ticket to Valhalla.

• Yup, this patch was great and necessary. The people complaining are used to using exploity/glitchy/buggy tactics, spamming, or excessive feinting.

The game is a lot better for this patch. Great job Torn Banner.

• +1 to that.

Reading this forum makes me really feel like the only ones who don’t like the patch are feint exploiter, dodge-spammer and knights who become too shortminded on their weaponchoice. I realize it took them many hours to master these but they should’ve expected some change to that. You can’t walk on a small border between exploit and creative mechanic abuse in a game that’s still building it’s balance and think it’ll go on like that forever. However that’s just how those excessive complainers look to me. Obviously they act like it’s doom’s day.

I’ve asked a couple of people now and none could explain why this patch apparently destroyed competitive play. It’s not that there isn’t possibly a reason but apparently everyone is too butthurt atm to think clearly.

• @Escadin:

+1 to that.

Reading this forum makes me really feel like the only ones who don’t like the patch are feint exploiter, dodge-spammer and knights who become too shortminded on their weaponchoice. I realize it took them many hours to master these but they should’ve expected some change to that. You can’t walk on a small border between exploit and creative mechanic abuse in a game that’s still building it’s balance and think it’ll go on like that forever. However that’s just how those excessive complainers look to me. Obviously they act like it’s doom’s day.

I’ve asked a couple of people now and none could explain why this patch apparently destroyed competitive play. It’s not that there isn’t possibly a reason but apparently everyone is too butthurt atm to think clearly.

Exactly.

• I’ve found that the majority that feel this game is now ruined are people that have 500+ hours perfecting certain tactics so now that they’ve been tweaked they’re freaking out. Unfortunately “Ive played this for so long it isn’t fair they tweaked it” isn’t a very compelling argument.

That’s not to say that they don’t have legitimate concerns, only that time playing a certain mechanic isn’t a legitimate factor for making something important.

• new players like in this thread will only realize after a long time of playing that the game became way more shallow with the patch

• I don’t feint at all when I play (except against MAA). However, the way they chose to nerf feint severely impacted the fluidity, freedom and player’s control over combat. I don’t mind learning new mechanics but this patch basically completely changed the game for most classes when I feel there were other ways to nerf feinting without ruining the combat system.

• arrows make heads explode.

is good patch.

9/10.

• @CRUSHED:

new players like in this thread will only realize after a long time of playing that the game became way more shallow with the patch

I am not a new player, I have been playing since release.

@DemonicChocobo:

arrows make heads explode.

is good patch.

9/10.

Thanks for the laugh :D

@SHH_:

I don’t feint at all when I play (except against MAA). However, the way they chose to nerf feint severely impacted the fluidity, freedom and player’s control over combat. I don’t mind learning new mechanics but this patch basically completely changed the game for most classes when I feel there were other ways to nerf feinting without ruining the combat system.

I appreciate your point of view, but this is where I believe we must agree to disagree otherwise it is simply subjectivity vs subjectivity.

• @CRUSHED:

new players like in this thread will only realize after a long time of playing that the game became way more shallow with the patch

Well I for one am glad that all the anti-game shitty tactics like extreme swing dragging and reverse look up overheads are being tackled.

Just becasue clan players put hours into perfecting disreputable/unintended tactics and ignoring what was intended does not mean they should be able to throw a fit when said tactics get fixed.

• I also love this patch.

Definitely a couple bugs that need ironing out (rank reset at the beginning of a game) but for the most part the game has improved.

I see lots of whining by people who have mastered exploits and those have changed. Deal with it. Games are better when they are balanced, not when it’s easiest for you to win.

Good job TBS.

• I don´t know what you people mean by combo feinting is over, i still do it and i see very little difference, other than the first vanguard sword being a bit slower.

• You’re telling me…

That people who stare at their feet and attack are punished now?

• @danezcou3:

I don´t know what you people mean by combo feinting is over, i still do it and i see very little difference, other than the first vanguard sword being a bit slower.

I think they mean the feint to parry, not the combo feint.

Due to the feinting window nerf it’s MUCH more difficult to pull off. This does not mean it’s dead. Also, you can que parries into your combos without the need to feint out. I think it still remains to be seen if this is really going to be viable, especially since those of us who have been playing this for a long time will still immediately try and feint/parry. Gonna take some getting used to.

I’m personally not all that upset about the bigger combat changes, I’m more upset about some minor weapons changes. I don’t feel like knights are as viable as they once were, and I’m a little confused about the decision to tinker with the knight’s swords. The combat pace change makes the sword of war less useful right now, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll stay this way- it’s all about adjusting and getting used to it.

The claymore feels overpowered on first glance. I realize it can take a good number of hits to down an enemy, but I’m getting the feeling that it’s the new MAA. While the dodge/attack was a pain in the ass to deal with before, the claymore has a similar speed and range, you just don’t have to get very close. I went 35-1(the 1 was a feint+zwei drag, it’s still do-able, but not nearly as effective) on duel matches last night using the claymore 90% of the time, though I often did fight against the claymore myself. I’m a SOW veteran, and I’m looking at this as the new SOW for vanguards… it adapts really well to my playstyle, but it’s blindingly fast.

Spears (etc.) are really hard to read, and appear to be lightning fast against me (though I have yet to use one). I’m wondering if it’s really that fast, or if I’m used to them being a different speed. SO much of me playing is reflex based, and those reflexes are failing me now that things are changed up. This doesn’t mean it’s dead, this means that I need to retrain my reflexes.

I’m finding right now that initiating combat is a bit slower, but once you get parrying/riposting the combat feels really nice and fluid. Sword fights can be very flashy still. As a player who never really used any of the less conventional methods of playing (dancing vanguards are the big example of what I DON’T do) I’m not really feeling that my personal playstyle is taking too much of a hit, aside from needing to search for new weapons and getting used to the difficulty of pulling off a feint/parry. I do feel like other classes are more forced to play like I do now.

Personally I felt rage every time a vanguard danced me to death, or a zweihander hit me 3 seconds late. These things are very counter intuitive to how I thought a sword fight should go (why would you EVER go against your momentum swinging a weapon?) and I’m not at all angry to see them taking a hard hit in this patch. I do understand that certain people felt like this was a plus to the game, and I do feel for them and their style of play.

I’m currently level 43 with 460-ish hours of play, just for reference.

• @CRUSHED:

You know, it makes for a more convincing argument when you back up your point with some form of evidence or reasoning. You say that this patch has made the game more shallow but you don’t explain how or why you think that is.