Mystery missed swings that Hit.

• Hiya guys,

I’m surprised this hasn’t mentioned much.

Playing on Official servers in Aus with a ping of about 50-90 I find that MANY weapons hit a player when they clearly miss.

Being a high rank player I have an excellent feel of the weapon ranges. So much so that I will correctly (or used to) judge the weapon distance and can decide not to parry because I asses the weapon will miss, only just, but that is enough. This way you can hit in during their release.

Now with the new patch I’ve witnessed weapon tips pass right in front of my view, as I expected, however now they hit. The weapon model clearly doesn’t hit, yet the game registers a hit. I’ve also had the same happen vice versa. I’ve swung at a retreating archer and missed. Only for the weapon to hit.

The distance I’m talking about is about a half-foot, so not much at all.

I’ve seen a few other people talk about it.

My question is what is going on? I have a suspicion it is due to the awfully unneeded player bubble, as the devs say they expanded the player size, this would explain why weapons are hitting when they shouldn’t. However I don’t know for certain if they increased player collision radius independent of player hitboxes.
    The other option is that, at least some, weapons have their hit range extended beyond the length of the weapon model, which would certainly be silly.

Anybody care to comment?

• They may have extended the collision boxes on weapons a tad to compensate for the new player collision bubble.

I noticed on the SDK (not sure how up to date it is though) that the arrows has collision boxes extending quite a bit from the weapon tip. :)

• If they did that, it is stupid. It seems silly because if you correctly judge the distance to perfection you get penalized.

• Weapons don’t use collision boxes, they use a socket + tracer system.

As for the hit detection… what the fuck; reports of hitting hits missing, and now missing hits hitting?

• Yup.

Try this, get someone to go Archer with Shortsword and you go whatever class, MAA or something.

Get the archer to start spamming you with his shortsword and you will see swings that clearly miss connect. If it isn’t the player bubble then weapon reaches have been extended beyond the weapon models length, possibly to ‘compensate’ for the increased bubble side. It only breaks the game.

• Yes I’m getting so many hits land on me when I can clearly still see a gap between me and the tip of the enemy’s weapon.

And yes I also get hitting hits missing! It’s all a bit random now.

• I haven’t yet seen proper hits miss, I have seen plenty of missed strikes hit though.

This is on Official servers, so no funny business with wrong server setups or anything.

• this is happening but not very often to me. I’ve had guys slash right through me while i’m backed into a corner in facehug distance… i also agree that some hits seem to hit you from way out of range now. I know about the additional jump forward for sprint attacks, but as someone else said, there are some strikes that hit when there is clearly a visual gap between you and the other players weapon… needs to visually be fixed perhaps idk.

• +1

I think its due to the fact that the game is ACTUALLY based on a dungeons and dragons style dice roll system.

The graphics on your screen are only a kid of, loose representation of the behind the scenes die rolls going on, governing combat interactions.

What is the other option? That these people don’t playtest their patches at all. I mean, what could give you that impression other than

Every other patch they’ve done -_-

• @JCash:

+1

I think its due to the fact that the game is ACTUALLY based on a dungeons and dragons style dice roll system.

The graphics on your screen are only a kid of, loose representation of the behind the scenes die rolls going on, governing combat interactions.

What is the other option? That these people don’t playtest their patches at all. I mean, what could give you that impression other than

its like an arcade game

• @gregcau:

@JCash:

+1

its like an arcade game

Yes. Panzerlang called it.

The devs are not hardcore /good/ players like most of the people posting on the forum.

They don’t really play very well or understand the game they’ve created. So in /fixing/ it (from their casual perspective) They are /breaking/ it from the perspective of good players.

What we have now, and will wind up with in the future, is a much easier arcade slasher that they’ll make more and more money on because there is not a large skill gap between the /bad/ and very good.

Verdict: Devs are casual sellouts that want money at the expense of creating a very good game. Imo.

Lucky modders can fix what they’re breaking.

I mean, one of the things they’ve STATED they disliked about their mod was the large skill difference between the very good in Age of Chivalry and the bad.

I’m not sure how a shallow game is good from any kind of artistic/development perspective. I guess if your only concern is selling more units rather than creating quality.

• Yeah these are happening a lot, in both cases. I’m REALLY noticing the spear hits hitting when I clearly see the tip ending well before me. I also have a pretty good knowledge of where the weapons should be hitting, and these are beyond the normal lengths, at least from what was going on with the last iteration of this game.

I had a moment where I jumped up at an archer earlier (a clan guy, wish I could remember his name… something with Kenobi in it) and saw his stab go right into me, but it didn’t hit me.

I was also able to verify with 3 other guys verbally last TO match I played that their swings had passed through me. I saw this on my screen as well.

So I’m seeing both things happening. Some are hitting me when they shouldn’t, and some are missing me when they shouldn’t.

• I did notice this a lot last night when I played for about 5 hours.

Since MAA rarely dodge forward now to attack me, I’ll close in and attack them, but backpeddle at certains to make them miss.

I’ll see their sword clearly swing past, at least a foot or more away from my vision, and it will still connect. I almost died a few times from this as I’m so used to being able to judge weapon distances, now I’ll just try to parry anything that’s relatively close as it’s too dangerous and buggy otherwise.

• Yep, I’ve had swings just magically miss or magically hit. At one point I did a flanged overhead, my windup finished and I heard the HITSOUND but the guy with the messer did his windup on my screen and managed to kill me without a trade. I also did an overhead swing going through a player but I took the bad end of the trade instead.

The 2handed weapon flinch (and flinch in general) feels really inconsistent and makes drag hits combined with combofeints dumber.

Also the grunt happening for feint + combofeint is just ridiculous. It happens pretty randomly, sometimes it grunts, sometimes they don’t grunt so I’m just reacting to the grunt which is silly as heck. It probably happens with the bad netcode + late feint.

• I have been noticing this too. Not only to weapons desync more than they used to, but this range thing is beyond weird. I will be confidently standing well outside of a spear thrust and still get hit. Enemy not even sprinting forward, so it’s not just lag or whatever.

What’s up with this grunting, feinting, comboing desync mess? Sometimes I hear the enemy grunt, get hit and die. Edit: from a ghost hit, obv.

• @kwazi:

Also the grunt happening for feint + combofeint is just ridiculous. It happens pretty randomly, sometimes it grunts, sometimes they don’t grunt so I’m just reacting to the grunt which is silly as heck. It probably happens with the bad netcode + late feint.

they need to get rid of it, i can just feints now just fine without a grunt… this in combination with any under 30 stamina panting just causes too much confusion.

• The under 30 stamina grunting is pretty much like a signal to spam attacks on your opponent till you get them stunned, and they’re open to an attack for the next 30 minutes while they recover from the stun.

• I usually go make a cup of tea before I finish them off.

• chivalry: panting warfare

• @dudeface:

I usually go make a cup of tea before I finish them off.

Precisely so sire. I myself personally prefer to make an Irish breakfast blend of tea, have a read of the current news and events, ponder the changes of Chivalry’s latest patch and then slice my opponent open.

To lessen the following rage of such a stun timer, maybe I should also offer a cup of tea to the opponent while he cannot do anything else. Might calm their nerves! ;)