How does lag cause attacks to de-sync with animations?

• High-pingers often appear to strike during windup. Why would that be? I’d have thought that lag would cause both the strike and the animation to be delayed together but apparently the animation is more delayed than the strike.

• Magic.

• @dudeface:

Magic.

Go away, please.

• The way I understand it (please let me know if I’m wrong) is that hit detection is based on what the attacker is seeing, not the defender. A lagging attacker could easily swing and hit you, but if you’re receiving the information at a delay due to his lagging then you won’t ever see the weapon strike you, even though he did on his screen.

There are lots of occasions where you would see two very different versions of what happened had attacker and defender’s screens been put side by side. Most common for me is the “side stab”- for the defender it looks like a straight forward stab into your parry that hits you, to the attacker it looks like the guy never moved his parry and got stabbed in the side.

• @quigleyer:

The way I understand it (please let me know if I’m wrong) is that hit detection is based on what the attacker is seeing, not the defender. A lagging attacker could easily swing and hit you, but if you’re receiving the information at a delay due to his lagging then you won’t ever see the weapon strike you, even though he did on his screen.

There are lots of occasions where you would see two very different versions of what happened had attacker and defender’s screens been put side by side. Most common for me is the “side stab”- for the defender it looks like a straight forward stab into your parry that hits you, to the attacker it looks like the guy never moved his parry and got stabbed in the side.

Sounds right.