My 2c on the patch being frustrating. . .

• The new patch actually made me check out the forums to see what other people have felt about it. . .after seeing people’s responses – for the first time i figured i would drop in my 2c.

For a little bit of context, i’ve played 256 hours of Chiv and am rank 46. I’m hardly great, and I’m not in the competitive scene, but i’d like to think of myself as someone who just “loves the game”.

I cant say whether or not i like the patch yet…i agree that the initial impression is to get quite frustrated, but i will keep playing to see what pans out. Having said that, on reflection i thought i’d put up three notes which may/may not help someone out there tease out WHY it’s been frustrating.

1. The patch addressed two MAJOR things: balance and mechanics. I think it is unfortunate that such changes were addressed at the same time. Whilst i can lay no claim to being in the position of a developer, i do wish that these two issues were implemented separately and sequentially rather than simultaneously. Part of what is confusing is that the differences encountered in the game is sometimes due to a mechanic thing, sometimes a balance thing. . .put them together and you have a very hard time trying to understand what’s happened to the game. All you know is that things “are different” now.

2. There’s been a huge outcry over certain features now being removed. Again, the whole issue of whether they were/are warranted aside, the frustration i have is less about “what’s fair” or “what you should/shouldnt be able to do” but in general, i feel more limited in what i can do in this new patch. There were more moves and tactics at my disposal before than now. I say this as a generalisation, but more moves and tactics lends itself to more creativity, learning and complexity. I wonder if an appropriate analogy would be comparing chess to checkers – it’s not that both games cant be fun, BUT if you put a chess player onto a checkers game and say, “This is how it is from now on” – you cant blame him for feeling a bit constrained and thinking “this is what i could do before”. Again, the whole issue of “what needed/deserved to be removed” aside, i can’t help but feel a little ‘straight jacketed’. Maybe after some more play time i’ll (or we’ll) work out that it actually IS more complex than we initially thought and there is a level of complexity there which was greater than before – but for now, I think that seems to be an adequate expression of why im frustrated. Perhaps if the game had started out like this, no one would have been the wiser and we’d all be happy. . but the reality is that many people have ‘tasted’ what they could do, and now it’s been taken away.

3. The last point has to do with expectations. The announcement of a patch always carries with it heightened expectations of a greater/better experience of the game. Again, in general, these tend to be in the realm of bug fixes, additional content, more ‘skills’ – a sense of a development or an evolution of the game. . .it could just be me, but the major mechanic and balance changes that have been put on so suddenly seem to be less of evolution and more of a reboot. The lack of a sense of continuity with its past makes it feel like I’m playing a different game, rather than a game that has gone through a development.

Anyways, that about sums it up. . .

• Well now I don’t have to write an essay because you did it for me. I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

• @spoz:

i’ve played 256 hours of Chiv and am rank 46. I’m hardly great,

did you jump in rank? because 99.9% of the rank 46 who arrived at it legitimately played 1000 hours on avg.

• did you jump in rank? because 99.9% of the rank 46 who arrived at it legitimately played 1000 hours on avg.

I’m level 50 with about 600 hrs.

His 256 to get to 46 is pretty impressive though.

Since levels are decided on kills alone, different game modes will advance a player faster than another.

100 hrs in Duel mode wont give you nearly as many kills as 100hrs in FFA for instance.

• I just give up on the rank system to be honest, it’s so broken right now. I’m not sure if it’s particularly bad in Australia or everywhere though.

• @gregcau:

@spoz:

i’ve played 256 hours of Chiv and am rank 46. I’m hardly great,

did you jump in rank? because 99.9% of the rank 46 who arrived at it legitimately played 1000 hours on avg.

Depends upon what gamemode you play. I am rank 47 with about 1000 hours, but I’ve spent a large portion of that in TO playing pretty casually. If you really wanted to, I would imagine you could reach my rank in about half the time or less if you played nothing but FFA or other such modes.

• I pretty much just play TO. . .dunno if i’ve ‘jumped’ rank or anything. . i just play the game. . .in fact, so many terms used on this forum that i have no idea what they are.

anyways, after more hours on the new patch – altho it’s less frustrating now just because you get more used to it. . .i have to say, it’s still a little on the baffling side of things. Some changes still make no sense whatsoever.

• @spoz:

I pretty much just play TO. . .dunno if i’ve ‘jumped’ rank or anything. . i just play the game. . .in fact, so many terms used on this forum that i have no idea what they are.

anyways, after more hours on the new patch – altho it’s less frustrating now just because you get more used to it. . .i have to say, it’s still a little on the baffling side of things. Some changes still make no sense whatsoever.

The game just makes you 46 for no reason. 256 hours is too fast. Escrow illy as you only play TO and ranking is based on kills.

You probably jumped.

• I’m level 43 wih no jump- 481 hours right now. about 43 dueling hours.

Please keep in mind that it’s all about kills. So those of use who duel will level up slower. Those who play TDM and FFA will level up faster.

• Close. I am 44 with 483 hours played.
    I’ve probably spent a lot more time doing classic duels (which can be pretty slow) rather than the duel mode. In any case I normally play the regular modes.

• This post is deleted!

• @benj0.0:

this is probably one of the more intelligent and well written assessments I have seen of the newest patch. I pretty much agree with everything above.

Yea, people are too busy talking about his rank though, fuck the rest of his post right?

• This was actually a great post, especially point 3!

When I saw the patch downloading my expectation was: “Sweet! TB fixed the alt swing bug and improved parrying mechanics!” But instead I logged in to find the game turned upside down and half the people on the server typing IN ALL CAPS about how they couldn’t stand the altered gameplay. Some people I regularly play with online are quite upset.

And for the record, I am now RANK 0 about 75% of the time a map changes or I join a different server. I definitely have to reconnect more often than not just to get through the weapon selection screen.

• Agreed…

I’ve logged in since my last rant post. ;o) to give it a fair shot.
    1)- Seem’s the lag is back now to the crappy hosting service it used to be and not as bad as the first few days.

Play style now ( and that of most of the over 40 folks I have seen in server)
    2) I now just log onto a FFA, TDM, LTS, TO and hang back. As there is no point in charging in anymore due to the great stamina loss.

1. What was the point / thought possess behind the Stam loss increase?? Ok, you’ve slowed everything down to increase duel time and by the end of the duel ( if you’re lucky enough to fight just one person) You are out of stam and just wheezing unable to move to fight the next person…

i Really do not understand which game mode the stam loss increase was intended for.