My thoughts on the new chivalry

• I’ll try to make this quick. The new patch isn’t full of trash, it’s like a garbage bin half full. There are some things I like about this patch, such as the chase mechanic (people can run away now if they’re a faster class, before speed meant nothing), some of the weapon buffs are nice too. But I can also say there are some really terrible things about this patch.

1- No combo feint to parry!
    I feel as if I have to learn a whole new game now. I honestly don’t want to relearn a game that already took me hours to get good at. I don’t think that removing combo feint to parry was a good thing at all, I can understand the logic, but it just doesn’t work.

Reason 1- Combo feint to parry was great for team fights, and made slow weapons viable. In a 1v1, where I attack someone and choose to combo it works fine. But in a team fight where when I combo and someone else comes in with an attack what am I supposed to do? Combo feint to parry? No. I can’t do anything that would get me out of that situation, I just have to take the hit. Which is a huge nerf to team fights. I can also understand this may be a buff aswell, it may work both ways, but to MAA’s, who cant dodge out of it, what are they supposed to do? Nothing, it just doesn’t work.

Reason 2- Slow weapons are now extremely underpowered. You may buff the damage all you want but if you’re not going to get a hit off then why even use the weapon? I have tested this with Memento Mori, where he had a messer, and I had a 1h, and even if he parried my attack I could hit him again before he was able to get his attack off. Now when he combo’d it was like I got 2 free hits. For 1 he couldn’t combo feint to parry to make up for his lack of speed and I get a free hit, but also he was not able to do anything afterward due to the slowness of his weapon.

Combo feint to parry was a huge part in the game, it didn’t make the game 100% offensive at all, it made it so that weapons with the fastest combo time and windup time didn’t gain the edge over every other weapon.

2- Flinch bugs(can’t parry during flinch and can’t dodge during flinch)
    Simple explanation to this, it’s annoying. Fix it.

3-Longsword nerf
    Now I am no knight, but I really don’t see why this weapon was nerfed so hard. It was the most balanced weapon a knight could use, it wasn’t crazy fast like the SoW, but it wasn’t some ridiculous 1 shot kills everything weapon, also it had pretty fair range. It is technically the broadsword of the 2 handers, it was balanced. I don’t so why it got nerfed, in my point of view the SoW needed a nerf, yes. But longsword, no.

This concludes this… rant I suppose, on the new patch. Summary- I don’t wanna relearn the game, bring back combo feint to parry. -Flinch bugs are annoying, -Longsword got nerfed for no real purpose.

• @Ho_BoY:

3-Longsword nerf
    Now I am no knight, but I really don’t see why this weapon was nerfed so hard

• @Ho_BoY:

3-Longsword nerf
    Now I am no knight, but I really don’t see why this weapon was nerfed so hard. It was the most balanced weapon a knight could use, it wasn’t crazy fast like the SoW, but it wasn’t some ridiculous 1 shot kills everything weapon, also it had pretty fair range. It is technically the broadsword of the 2 handers, it was balanced. I don’t so why it got nerfed, in my point of view the SoW needed a nerf, yes. But longsword, no.

This concludes this… rant I suppose, on the new patch. Summary- I don’t wanna relearn the game, bring back combo feint to parry. -Flinch bugs are annoying, -Longsword got nerfed for no real purpose.

THIS! My beloved longsword, I still mourn for him. The SoW needed a small nerf, but the longsword was the most balanced and clean weapon in the game pre-patch.

• Longsword was better than SoW, no question. I used both pretty much exclusively when I played Knight. I like SoW a little more but Longsword always outperformed it.

Anyway, they both pretty much overshadowed the knights’ other twohanders except in knight vs. knight. We decided to stop balancing the game around the assumption that almost every fight would be knight vs. knight, so that maybe it would become true. ;)

• So instead of making less used weapons more useful the solution is to nerf preferred weapons?
    I don’t think that’s a very good way to balance weapons.

• @Ho_BoY:

But in a team fight where when I combo and someone else comes in with an attack what am I supposed to do?

You’re supposed to not combo.

@Ho_BoY:

I have tested this with Memento Mori, where he had a messer, and I had a 1h, and even if he parried my attack I could hit him again before he was able to get his attack off. Now when he combo’d it was like I got 2 free hits. For 1 he couldn’t combo feint to parry to make up for his lack of speed and I get a free hit, but also he was not able to do anything afterward due to the slowness of his weapon.

Messer is a little faster in the new patch.

@Alyx:

So instead of making less used weapons more useful the solution is to nerf preferred weapons? I don’t think that’s a very good way to balance weapons.

It’s a great way to balance weapons when the class that used those weapons were overpowered.

• @Alyx:

So instead of making less used weapons more useful the solution is to nerf preferred weapons?

We did both. Double Axe, Bearded Axe and Messer got buffed. So there were as many buffs as nerfs for Knight weapons; Grand Mace got a little slap on the wrist nerf as well, for the exact opposite reasons as the swords - it was a brutal anti-knight weapon while still being good against the other classes.

Edit: Oh wait Maul also got buffed to be a better anti-knight weapon, so there were more buffs to knight weapons than nerfs. If you include the onehanded Messer separate from twohanded, that also got buffed (and buffs to the other onehanded Knight swords are being considered after they’ve been more thoroughly evaluated for performance separate from shields).

• @SlyGoat:

@Alyx:

So instead of making less used weapons more useful the solution is to nerf preferred weapons?

We did both. Double Axe, Bearded Axe and Messer got buffed. So there were as many buffs as nerfs for Knight weapons; Grand Mace got a little slap on the wrist nerf as well, for the exact opposite reasons as the swords - it was a brutal anti-knight weapon while still being good against the other classes.

Edit: Oh wait Maul also got buffed to be a better anti-knight weapon, so there were more buffs to knight weapons than nerfs. If you include the onehanded Messer separate from twohanded, that also got buffed (and buffs to the other onehanded Knight swords are being considered after they’ve been more thoroughly evaluated for performance separate from shields).

It’s just that the overall speed of combat feels a lot slower now, if you could just speed everything up a little bit, instead of the moving-through-water-like feel the game has now.
    That is my largest complaint about the patch, up the game speed!

• @SHH_:

@Ho_BoY:

3-Longsword nerf

THIS! My beloved longsword, I still mourn for him. The SoW needed a small nerf, but the longsword was the most balanced and clean weapon in the game pre-patch.

Devs disagree because reasons. So they went for the lateral switch to vanguards with the claymore vs greatsword. Fantastic.

• Want to combo-feint to parry? Don’t combo an attack; press parry instead of queueing up that second attack. Pretty easy to get used to.

Otherwise, combat really isn’t slower. The only thing that could possibly make combat slower is the chase mechanic change, and that only has to do with movement.

Movement definitely feels a lot slower, thanks to the chase mechanic change (which was probably needed), but my biggest gripe is the parry lockout when being blocked.

• @SlyGoat:

If you include the onehanded Messer separate from twohanded, that also got buffed…

Is there somewhere where I can see the difference between the 1 handed and 2 handed bastard sword stats? I was asking about this in game the other day and no one seemed to know if they were different. I had never really used bastard swords as 1 handed, as I wasn’t that interested in shields and now find myself intrigued.

• The longsword was nowhere overshadowing sow. I found the sow to be a tiny bit better because of the stab speed, but it somehow felt weird when I held it.
    Longsword WAS my main weapon. Changed with this patch.
    I dont like that you got to 4 hit knights 3 hit vangs now (mostly)
    I do like that you finally speeded its stab speed, since people could spam attack before I could even finish my combo.
    I also find the claymore very disturbing. It feels like an awful long 1h. Its incredible viable and missing with it isnt going to punish you.
    Also, vanguards counter attacks feel incredible fast (maybe just because of the general increase of speed) But comparing counterattack to “old” it feels like it got buffed. I get damaged even before they they hit me. They counterattack->windup and then like 0.1 sec later I need to parry or else im doomed. Or it seems to skip sometimes animations
    Maybe its just me, I dunno.

But honestly, these are WAY too much changes at once. People cant adapt to all these things at once. It feels like it got a completly new weapon set.
    Wouldnt it be more wise to change 1-3 weapons and release a patch? People can adapt to it and tell whats cool and whats not. And in this way you wouldnt actually need a half year to release a patch. Balancing each thing at once is a lot better

Overall i find the patch cool. Feinting costs a lot stamina and is 5% easier to read up from 0.1% (woohoo)
    Even maul is actually usefull now. But the again it sucks even more against 1h since it drains even less stamina (thats how I read the patch)
    Fights are actually more skillbased now. I see people with 5-10k kills 500-1k deaths which I totally raped. Why?
    Because they were FEINTING their way up there. Felt good showing them a feintless demonstration of superior judgement.
    Longsword got nerfed without reason (its dead for me)
    Claymore buffed without reason (dunno about this one)

But like I said, I like it far more than how it was. But some weapon needs some tweaking

• @NoVaLombardia:

Want to combo-feint to parry? Don’t combo an attack

I want to play Chivalry: Medieval warfare, not Age of Chivalry-now with better graphics :|

• @SlyGoat:

@Alyx:

We did both. Double Axe, Bearded Axe and Messer got buffed. So there were as many buffs as nerfs for Knight weapons

Right, but now you’ve just had them trade places. Is the goal not to have everything viable? How is it acceptable to nerf weapons into uselessness because they were too popular? Why can’t the Longsword AND the Doubleaxe be viable? Is that really too much to ask?

• So after about 4 hours of playing here are my thoughts:

I do see where the devs are going with the SoW and Longsword nerfs, they are trying to make me switch my strongest weapon!! AAAAAAAAAAAAGH :D
    I do agree that these two overshadowed the axes and blunt weapon quite a lot, starting today I´m a Pole Axe guy. :)

1)The flinch time for two-handers might be too long, I got hit by the shortsword and was stuck in limbo because I could NOT get another parry in there.

1. Either it´s just my perception or EVERYONE got suddenly like 70% better at parrying. People parry everything now! It´s almost riddiculous. Maybe it´s just me…

2. Feints still work well but are much easier to read. I consider this a very good change.

3. The fights take forever!!! I don´t know what it is but my KD is suddenly waaaay lower, not because I do bad but because the fights take so long it gives anybody else enough time to kill me from behind. Very weird.

I want to end this with one question:

If you were a heavy longsword or a SoW user, will you switch to a different weapon now? I don´t see much point in using them, I can do 2 times better with the broadsword. :)

• @HandsomeHodge:

@SlyGoat:

@Alyx:

We did both. Double Axe, Bearded Axe and Messer got buffed. So there were as many buffs as nerfs for Knight weapons

Right, but now you’ve just had them trade places. Is the goal not to have everything viable? How is it acceptable to nerf weapons into uselessness because they were too popular? Why can’t the Longsword AND the Doubleaxe be viable? Is that really too much to ask?

Well, obviously whatever becomes popular will get nerfed because “if it’s popular, it must be OP”.

Seems legit right?

• @Daiyuki:

Well, obviously whatever becomes popular will get nerfed because “if it’s popular, it must be OP”.

Seems legit right?

Sadly enough, this has been the logic behind most nerfs. Then again, most weapons that are popular are very strong in their own way. But I’m not sure about OP.