Messer is the new longsword

• I foresee a lot of longsword mainers switching to messer. I feel it overshadows every other knight weapon now.

Decent speed and reach, can 2-hit knights, almost always 2-hits van, can 1-hit MAA and archer.

I don’t main knight, so maybe I’m not aware of some other option, but for now I don’t see any other knight primary that is so comprehensively powerful in the most situations. Seems like a good choice for competitive play.

• Tobi if you wanted the Messer nerfed you could just ask :3

• @BB:

Tobi if you wanted the Messer nerfed you could just ask :3

Oh I’ve got no problem with it at all. I like the weapon. I just wanted to discuss competitive setup selection with the pro knights.

• MaA 1 shot is not intended, that one is an oversight. But I agree with you, the Messer is very good right now and may become the new most popular Knight weapon.

• And yet, it is no longsword. It is no Sword of War. Sure, dragging is fun. But the speed and power of LS/SoW made for the most exhilarating exchanges of blows between skilled players the game could offer us.

The messer doesn’t replace that, and the LS/SoW are a hard sale in their current state.

• Not gonna use Messer. Fuck that curvy piece of shit.

I’ll show them, I’ll show them all… Longsword will still shine…

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

I foresee a lot of longsword mainers switching to messer. I feel it overshadows every other knight weapon now.

Decent speed and reach, can 2-hit knights, almost always 2-hits van, can 1-hit MAA and archer.

I don’t main knight, so maybe I’m not aware of some other option, but for now I don’t see any other knight primary that is so comprehensively powerful in the most situations. Seems like a good choice for competitive play.

Pretty much, except the messer’s reach actually is problematic. It hinders you in team play and it makes your drags alot easier to evade. I don’t think all longsword user will go messer, not nearly all of them. 2 stabs and 1 OH does 99 damage(i think) on the longsword so not only do you only need one head hit but in team play 90% of the time the enemy will have 99 or less hp anyways and the longsword is so long, which is also great for gaining initiative in fight and target switching. I don’t think all knights will switch, half at most I think.

• It isn’t that the Messar is better than the Longsword/SoW it is more so that the SoW and Longsword are worse. They got nerfed to the point of being useless.
    It kind of makes sense for the SoW to need 4-5 hits on a Knight, and should be a little faster because of that. The longsword should be a 3 hit to torso knight killer with its current speeds. This way all 3 swords have a niche, Longsword good all rounder, SoW good for speed, Messar good for that extra bit of damage to 1-hit MAA and archers.

It is a bit sad that at the moment, I consider the 1 Handed Messar better than the longsword/SoW…

• so ur asking for a knight claymore and pre patch longsword…

They aren’t even useless either.

• Yup, pre-patch Longsword, I never used it. It was inferior to the SoW which was OP pre-patch. It didn’t need any nerfs (the long sword) for this patch since the game mechanics have changed how you use it anyway. And here in lays the problem. Weapons where ‘balanced’ using information from the old mechanics and put into the new system, which sort of defeated the purpose of balancing weapons as its for the wrong version of the game mechanics…

• @Falc:

MaA 1 shot is not intended, that one is an oversight.

No it is intended.

• @Knil:

@Falc:

MaA 1 shot is not intended, that one is an oversight.

No it is intended.

Balance council at work folks

• Thats why its a council, a group of people who never agree with each other.

• Why was the messer 1 handed changed, were people really thinking it needed a nerf?

At first I thought it was getting a slight buff but really it’s removed the ability to drag with it and changed the damage type of the slash to swing from swingblunt. They also upped the damage of the swing from 70 to 80 but I’m not sure what niche it’s supposed to fill.

It has the odd behaviour of one shotting archers if you slash to the head but not overhead :?

• The messer dragging was outrageous before. Dragging a swing… backwards? Come on.

• @Toll:

Yup, pre-patch Longsword, I never used it. It was inferior to the SoW which was OP pre-patch. It didn’t need any nerfs (the long sword) for this patch since the game mechanics have changed how you use it anyway. And here in lays the problem. Weapons where ‘balanced’ using information from the old mechanics and put into the new system, which sort of defeated the purpose of balancing weapons as its for the wrong version of the game mechanics…

that’s debatable… i was a long time sow mainer with the knight, but about a month or 2 prior to this patch, i switched to longsword because i found it to be better once you learn to use it well.

And i agree the messer is now a better choice considering the nerfs to long and sow. The dubb axe also should see more use, feels more like a poleaxe now… and i was plenty happy with the maul before, could even duel with it fairly well, but now it one hits knights sooo… yeah i’m happy about that one.

Counter to this though, the MaA’s might want to look into the quarterstaff as it’s a total knight beaster now. So most comp teams in 8v8 will use the max number of knights so 4 of them… so if you had at least 1 maa quarterstaff, he could then be the knight destroyer… and very effectively so. Quarterstaff can flinch anything the knight throws out, the poke has amazing range… and you can 3 shot knights now. The poke overhand i haven’t seen many people parry it coming from me with the flinch, i’m pretty sure that combo is too fast but don’t tell Torn Banner anyone… don’t let them know of the quarterstaffs knight destroying power… having too much fun with the donatello setup. REALLY surprised i’m not seeing more people use it… it’s totally beast now. If ya go qstaff though, i recommend staying away from everything but the knights, unles you’ve got their back.