The "Bubble" Or Larger Enemy Collision

• If you aren’t aware enemies now have larger collision.
    @SlyGoat:

Enemies have slightly larger collision than allies.

Should it stay or should it go?

I believe this is an uneeded change, it was implemented to mitigate the “facehugging” complaint.
    All it’s done so far is cause some odd issues with weapons seeming to hit you when they are out of reach and make fist-fighting unresponsive and clunky.

Getting up in someones face is still as viable as ever most of the time and it should be.
    Now that alt swings are behaving properly for the most part there shouldn’t be what to appear to be swings going through your parry which I think was the main complaint.
    Getting in someone’s face is more about the mind-game, making them parry early because they are nervous.

If you allow your opponent to get where you don’t want them to be that’s your fault.
    It’s usually ineffective against the majority of high ranks or even just midly competent players as they’ve adapted to only parrying when they see the attack.

This isn’t a cheap tactic as there is several options to fight against it, especially with the vanguard.
    Although I’ve notice the knockback hasn’t been behaving properly all the time, most prevelant against MAA

Please share your opinon on this.

• I think that it should stay but perhaps could be tweaked.

• This is the most significant change made with the patch, bar none. It is a major contributor to the slower combat (as most of the fast combat relied on being at facehug range once your weapon hit release for a quicker hit), and alters the footwork dynamic as well–some might say for the worse, I say for the better (but that’s for a different thread, I believe). Certainly a keeper.

• Faster kick is in, chase mechanic is fixed, this really isn’t necessary. I’m going with pop it.

• Exactly what BB said.

There are already tools for dealing with facehugging, we don’t need to be babysat.

• since alt swing is fixed …could try testing out without the bubble

• What’s exactly the problem with it though? I’ve found that you can’t really do the old alt-attack around the guard thing anymore which is good. I tried not to do it unless someone was using a similar exploit against me pre patch but I think it’s impossible now and that’s not due to the .1 increase, it’s due to the bubble I think.

• @Dr:

What’s exactly the problem with it though?

I think it’s partly responsible for slowing down combat.
    When trying to sprint passed an enemy or strafe to either side of them you get blocked by the bubble. Like an invisible linebacker. I don’t know if this takes you out of your sprint or not, but it doesn’t feel right. That combined with the .5 sprint lockout whenever you parry or have been parried slow the movement down pretty substantially.
    If you can’t notice the effect try fist fighting some people, you’ll notice some of your attacks won’t connect because you get pushed back a tad.

Not to mention the alleged bugs with swings apparently hitting where the aren’t supposed to, this is thought to be connected with the bubble but I’m not sure.

The bottom line is I don’t think it’s a necessary feature now that we have a myriad of options to defend against facehugging.
    If alt swings animation/tracers are fixed I don’t see why this is necessary. I’m not one for fixing things that are not broken.

! I wouldn’t even consider the alt swings pre patch broken, all you had to do is look to your right to parry them like the tutorial tells you to, parry the weapon not the person.
    I can see how it was cheap tactic though, so I’m glad they supposedly fixed it.

• @Alyx:

@Dr z0b:

What’s exactly the problem with it though?

I think it’s partly responsible for slowing down combat.
    When trying to sprint passed an enemy or strafe to either side of them you get blocked by the bubble. Like an invisible linebacker. I don’t know if this takes you out of your sprint or not, but it doesn’t feel right. That combined with the .5 sprint lockout whenever you parry or have been parried slow the movement down pretty substantially.
    If you can’t notice the effect try fist fighting some people, you’ll notice some of your attacks won’t connect because you get pushed back a tad.

Not to mention the alleged bugs with swings apparently hitting where the aren’t supposed to, this is thought to be connected with the bubble but I’m not sure.

The bottom line is I don’t think it’s a necessary feature now that we have a myriad of options to defend against facehugging.
    If alt swings animation/tracers are fixed I don’t see why this is necessary. I’m not one for fixing things that are not broken.

! I wouldn’t even consider the alt swings pre patch broken, all you had to do is look to your right to parry them like the tutorial tells you to, parry the weapon not the person.
    I can see how it was cheap tactic though, so I’m glad they supposedly fixed it.

Well I think it might need to be reduced a bit, or tweaked to remove bugs as you’ve mentioned but I do know that you used to be able to get close enough to alt-swing in a way that would start your arm inside the other person and unless they turned 90 degrees and moved backwards it would hit.

• as a new player allow me to declare loudly and longly - KEEP IT!

• @Dr:

Well I think it might need to be reduced a bit, or tweaked to remove bugs as you’ve mentioned but I do know that you used to be able to get close enough to alt-swing in a way that would start your arm inside the other person and unless they turned 90 degrees and moved backwards it would hit.

Yes this was the problem, not necessarily a complete 90 degree turn, but something to that effect.

All alt swings were nerfed by .1seconds I’m not sure if they corrected the alt swing tracers or not.
    Need some Dev confirmation on that.

If they have been corrected I don’t think the bubble would be necessary.

I sincerely hope that they didn’t just increase the enemy collision instead of correcting this issue, that just seem really, really lazy.

• I don’t think the bubble is even close to being the main contributing factor to the current slowness and clunkiness of combat.

• The bubble is barely noticeable.

I liked the first bubble where they can’t even get close lol.

• Superb change, you’re getting hit a lot when you’re out of reach, at least this happen a lot for maa i think, and i think this also help archer, if the arrow didnt miss you by far, you’re hit to, well seriously, this is a bad change.

• I didn’t notice any problems with the bubble and I use(d) very short weapons too. I think there are other factors and I think it fixes face-hugging which was creating various issues so I am for keeping it.

• The bubble is so small now it’s only a tad bigger then the old collision, while at the same time fixing many issues caused by face hugging (having to over turn parries, hard to see animation, clipping through the parry box, etc).

• I’m finding that I get hit more by missed and out of range hits. I presume this is to do with the bubble.

I thought the bubble was going to be a separate hitbox to block player movement only, but it seems more like the normal hitboxes that weapons can hit are fatter instead.

• Your presumption is wrong. Why would a collision bubble cause hits to register differently?

I think the weird lag / range shit is caused by something else.

• @dudeface:

Your presumption is wrong. Why would a collision bubble cause hits to register differently?

If they just made the normal hitboxes bigger, then what would have been a near miss before would be a hit now.

If the collision bubble is literally an additional collision bubble affecting player movement only that weapons cannot “hit” then sure, it must be something else causing it.

Anyone know what they actually did to create this bubble effect?

• Collision is completely separate from hitbox weapon detection.