New patch is better for team play, but may break a few maps

• After playing the new patch for about 12 hours, I’ve noticed that teamwork is much more important than in the previous build. Before, a highly skilled player could, with some risk, run into a large group of less skilled enemies and expect to reasonable damage–indeed, it was often possible to wipe the group. Now, such maneuvers are suicide (in large part due to the longer flinch time and removal of combo-feint to parry). Team coordination is more important than ever, even in pub play, due to this patch. This alone is a significant improvement to the game as a whole.

That said, I worry that a few of the changes break two maps for competitive play. The new firepot allows for a potential lockdown of the ram once it reaches the gate. Due to the fire’s new burn effect knocking players off the ram, it is theoretically possible to have three Man-at-Arms constantly throwing firepots at the ram to lock it down, or at least significantly slow enemy progress. The ammunition box reload time is the theoretical limiter, but lulls in the action allow for all Man-at-Arms to reload. I’ve tested this out in pubs, where it works with some degree of success, but a coordinated team may be able to cheese this phase using this.

Battlefield runs into an entirely different, yet still toasty, issue. Due to the extended range of the thrown torches, it is significantly easier to burn the farm. My team of three was able to burn all but the granary after wiping the windmill from the firepot located there–and the granary took two torches thrown from just outside the market’s end (toward the Mason spawn). Short version: Cross-torching is too easy now, and competitive teams will blow through this phase. Granted, the cart pushing phase is still balanced, so this map may still see serious play at high level, but with a different meta.

I must stress that none of this has been tested by me in competitive play, so the analysis may be wrong. If someone does notice these issue in competitive play (or disproves them), please post here with a quasi-detailed report.

• how about spamming fire and smoke on darkforest… it works VERY well. You can firepot every 3 seconds… which is less time than it takes to just run to the edge of where the ammo box is and back, theres virtually no delay on grabbing a firepot/smoke. You can even run 2-3 up there and just rain fire/smoke all map. I almost topped the scoreboard on firepots alone a few games… no lie.

• You’ll certainly get a lot of kills that way, but a determined team can still actively push the cart. I believe that you can still turn the sluice gate while on fire as well. Certainly effective, though.

• nah im TALKIKNG ABOUT PUSHING THE CART lol i’m talking about offense on darkforest. You either spam firepots or smokepots. If smoke… you can keep smoke all around the cart so archer fire isn’t as much of a threat, someone else can be hitting everyone that spawns and do fire damage to everyone that leaves spawn, and you can hit the other spawn too… every 3 seconds. Spam fire + smoke = win and very fast objective pushing.

• @clayton-bigsby:

nah im TALKIKNG ABOUT PUSHING THE CART lol i’m talking about offense on darkforest. You either spam firepots or smokepots. If smoke… you can keep smoke all around the cart so archer fire isn’t as much of a threat, someone else can be hitting everyone that spawns and do fire damage to everyone that leaves spawn, and you can hit the other spawn too… every 3 seconds. Spam fire + smoke = win and very fast objective pushing.

Or just do it normally.

• @clayton-bigsby:

nah im TALKIKNG ABOUT PUSHING THE CART lol i’m talking about offense on darkforest. You either spam firepots or smokepots. If smoke… you can keep smoke all around the cart so archer fire isn’t as much of a threat, someone else can be hitting everyone that spawns and do fire damage to everyone that leaves spawn, and you can hit the other spawn too… every 3 seconds. Spam fire + smoke = win and very fast objective pushing.

If you’re dedicating a vanguard to smoke spam, then you have one less person in the front lines.

• I have definitely noticed the farm on Battlegrounds is burning very quickly now, although I always found that the second part of the map was very biased towards defenders so it’s not too bad but still a bit boring if the first part is a pushover.

I can see that what you’re saying with the ram on Stoneshill could be a problem but I haven’t seen it yet.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@clayton-bigsby:

If you’re dedicating a vanguard to smoke spam, then you have one less person in the front lines.

pubs bro… playing with the ‘casuals’… .smoke spam is actually quite effective believe it or not… keeps the archers at bay, and if you know darkforest… there are always archers controlling the push.

There’s no tournaments or anything anymore so… idk what you expected… me smoke pot spamming in a competitive game? nahhh

plus, you can do the same thing with a men at arms spamming firepots… he COULD be in the front lines… but he’s pretty darn effective at just spamming fire… and from streaming the tournament matches… even clans spam projectiles so obviously it’s not a bad strat