Tips for ranged

• If you have a moment, I could use some advice.

I try and try, but it seems like ranged combat is simply beyond me. I just can’t seem to keep up with the random movements of combat. No matter how much I try to predict, I can’t land any shots when an enemy is randomly moving back and forth to keep up with another opponent. When being charged, simply wagging the mouse around to weave back and forth makes you an impossible to hit, and I have simply no idea as to how to properly aim in this game. Projectiles just seem so slow and weak.

Does anyone have any advice as to how to properly shoot in this game? Anything would help.

• Practice. That’s really all there is to it. Watch an enemy’s movement patterns when they’re trying to avoid you and predict where they’ll be when your projectile hits. The human brain isn’t capable of true randomness, least of all when under duress - everyone falls into a pattern whether they realize it or not. Also, unlock the cudgel. You’ll outmelee most people by just spamming mouse1.

• One thing I noticed about bows is that you just can’t tap-shoot with them. You really have to hold em and then release. In all of these kind of games I’m almost always archer/crossbowman and I find Chivalry’s ranged attack the most challenging one, mainly due to slow controls and reactions to your actions, I always feel that the arrow doesn’t get released when I want it to. There’s this weird delay in it. Altough I have yet to unlock the new bows so who knows.

For crossbow, it’s all about timing. One of the main pros for being a crossbowman is killing other archers and crossbowman, especially the latter. If you spot a crossbowman beginning to load his crossbow, he’s dead. :P Also people aren’t really using corners, windows, stuff like in this game yet. Everyone is just charging in the open. Selecting where you go and what kind of visibility range is a key factor. If you’re in a corner or next to a wall or something you know that you won’t get jumped from the behind. The more middle of the battlefield you are, the more vulnerable you are aswell.

One more thing about predicting when to shoot. If you spot a 1vs1 duel situation, the chances are that after the enemy has attacked your teammate, most of the time, he will walk backwards after the hit/his hit being blocked. Many K/VG players do this in duels, rather than trying to circle the enemy. That is your chance to strike. 8-)

• Practice is a good start. You’ll have to get a feel for how fast a projectile travels and you’ll start to get consistent with it. I don’t like sitting in the back because of how slim landing a hit is from there, tagging along with an ally will get you into a decent range if you don’t pluck him in the back of the head.
    My setup is the Shortbow + hoping for cudgel. Shortbows let you walk faster when drawing so you’ll be a very agile mid-ranger.

• just practice, longbow is a very complicated weapon, though i’ve found it easiest to hit enemies when they’re closing in on them and not really moving in many directions.

• -Make sure you lead your shots, it is not an instant ht weapon.
    -Predict, Predict, Predict.

-Sometimes, it is better to not fire. If it is a dangerous shot that will draw the attention of the entire opposing team, don’t take it. I see many silly archers doing this, and they get mowed down in a comical fashion.

-Assists count as points now. Archers are a range support class. Help out your team and be rewarded.

-Play the objective. Yes sitting back and racking up points is cool. But so is wounding/pissing off the enemy team trying to push the ram, taking out Ballista men, counter sniping other archers.

-Be aware of your flanks and take note of teammates. I get so many archers with tunnel vision that are free kills for me. Be aware, and regroup to your team when trouble stirs up close. Yes you can hold your own with the shortsword, but if two guys roll up on you, focus on survival and regrouping.

• @Andrew:

-Make sure you lead your shots, it is not an instant ht weapon.
    -Predict, Predict, Predict.

-Sometimes, it is better to not fire. If it is a dangerous shot that will draw the attention of the entire opposing team, don’t take it. I see many silly archers doing this, and they get mowed down in a comical fashion.

-Assists count as points now. Archers are a range support class. Help out your team and be rewarded.

-Play the objective. Yes sitting back and racking up points is cool. But so is wounding/pissing off the enemy team trying to push the ram, taking out Ballista men, counter sniping other archers.

-Be aware of your flanks and take note of teammates. I get so many archers with tunnel vision that are free kills for me. Be aware, and regroup to your team when trouble stirs up close. Yes you can hold your own with the shortsword, but if two guys roll up on you, focus on survival and regrouping.

Yeah that’s all good on paper. Not trying to be harsh here, but the controls for ranged weapon sucks. It’s terrible. I get more kills when I use my knife, than when I use my bow : not joking here. I really get more kills with a butcher knife.

sadnhappy hit something interesting : there is a weird delay with that bow, that can become highly annoying and awkward. And the controls are excruciatingly slow.

When Holding to aim the mouse controls become extremely slow and clunky, making it difficult to move the cross hair properly.
    I use to use the bow a lot in warband, and I always ranked in the top 5 with it. Now I can’t even get a single kill in an entire round. I hate to say it, but warband’s bows are superior to chivalry one.

To sum it up : -Clunky controls when aiming
    -Annoying, weird delay before firing the arrow

• @akarnir:

To sum it up : -Clunky controls when aiming
    -Annoying, weird delay before firing the arrow

Kind of how I feel.

Granted, I have gotten better at using it (thanks for the advice everyone!). I can’t help but feel like there is a slow motion effect on arrows and bolts. I’ve had a vanguard avoid my crossbow shot at close range by turning and sprinting straight sideways as soon as I clicked to shoot. I’ve had unaware archers accidentally avoid my shooting simply because they took a step forward towards their target right as I fired. It’s really ridiculous at times.

There are people who can use ranged pretty easily, but I don’t think the archer is as user friendly as the other classes are.

• I noticed that I suck as archer too, so I focused on training to play with them. This is what I’v learned so far.

80% of archers does the all classical mistakes.

• They shoot from long distance = they dont hit shit.
    • They dont move = they get counter archered sometimes.
    • They are not watching flanks, once in a while there will be someone flanking even on near spawn position.

When I spot this kind of archer I always shout [ X, 2 Forward! ] and kick them. Because they are useless to my team there. And I try to motivate him to assist our teams advance.

Distance:
    Medium distance is the best for the archer, the prediction leading is only 50% of the long shot. = MUCH more accurate.
    Medium distance also means that enemy archers will focus on you, so you must keep moving.

Positioning:
    Never go alone! When melee enemy spots you, he will come and kill you. It is almost impossible to kill zig zagging shielded enemy storming at you.
    Best way to position is to be approx 20meters behind your teams frontline, shooting clear shots on engaged enemies, incoming enemies and enemy archers are easy target usually from that range too. But keep moving and watch your flanks between every shot, because medium range attracts MAA class to flank you.

But this is just my personal opinion, so don’t think this is the absolute truth :D

• The problem is that that kind of tip (thanks for them :) btw) doesn’t really solve the core problem of the aiming/shooting mechanism awkwardness.
    I know it’s intended to be difficult to master, but there is a difference between difficult and clumsy. The mechanism are clumsy ATM. Refer to my previous post and some other people’s posts above to see why i say that.

• I really don’t find it very clumsy myself. But then I’m used to AoC’s archery, so I don’t mind racking up 40 assists and only 5 kills which were all against enemy archers. I can still lead the scoreboard sometimes with the shortbow just bringing enemies into one-melee-hit-kill range with an arrow or two.

• @SlyGoat:

I really don’t find it very clumsy myself. But then I’m used to AoC’s archery, so I don’t mind racking up 40 assists and only 5 kills which were all against enemy archers. I can still lead the scoreboard sometimes with the shortbow just bringing enemies into one-melee-hit-kill range with an arrow or two.

Yeah but that becomes a pain when you have to make 50 kills to unlock the first weapon. So when you can rack up 30 kills in one round with a melee, you will only get 5 with a bow (+40 assist).

Objectively : -The bow does have some issues, buggy issues. The way the mouse behave when you aim really feels buggy and clumsy, and that can become quickly awkward. The Warband aiming was much much more smoother (and that comes from someone that think chivalry>>>>>>warband) and it was a smooth experience to use the bow, even for a new comer.
    -The weird delay is also annoying as hell.

Overall, the bow experience should be much smoother there is a mouse aiming sensitivity issue and a delay of the fire issue.

• Am I the only one who actually thinks archery is fully reasonable in this game?

• I think the actual shooting at stuff works pretty well. I think there are a lot of other things about it that could use tweaking. Especially when it comes to balance between the different types of bows/crossbows, but that’s a whole other thing.

• @SlyGoat:

I think the actual shooting at stuff works pretty well. I think there are a lot of other things about it that could use tweaking. Especially when it comes to balance between the different types of bows/crossbows, but that’s a whole other thing.

And what about the mechanics issues? The way they made the whole aiming is terrible, the mouse is annoying as hell. Warband and WotR got the Bow right, as it is the most simple thing to get right. Why can’t chivalry have a more fluid, user friendly bow?
    Not to mention the delay…

• The aiming restriction on the bow is meant to prevent archers from shotgunning - holding an arrow ready to shoot as soon as a shield user drops his block. You can walk around an archer to avoid it. Which is fine IMO - you can’t spin 180 degrees without messing up your aim with a bow, so it’s a somewhat realistic balance fix.

I agree that it might be too restrictive though, especially for the bugged to hell javelins. You should be able to freely aim in front of you and only face the turn rate slowdown beyond a certain angle. I feel the same way about melee attacks too. The slowdown is necessary for both, but it’s too restrictive right now. It shallows out the skill cap of the game - being able to direct an attack to hit multiple enemies, or adjust your aim to hit a dodging enemy is really a hallmark of the controllable swings in Chivalry, but it’s very difficult to pull off right now.

• @SlyGoat:

The aiming restriction on the bow is meant to prevent archers from shotgunning - holding an arrow ready to shoot as soon as a shield user drops his block. You can walk around an archer to avoid it. Which is fine IMO - you can’t spin 180 degrees without messing up your aim with a bow, so it’s a somewhat realistic balance fix.

No its not interesting :( it ends being extremely annoying and absolutely not user friendly, even less new comers friendly.
    Making something more clunky is never a good balance suggestion in any video games.

The Bow wasn’t overpowered in Warband yet :

• Aiming was smooth
      -Aiming was even more precise
      -No delay
      -Melee attackers could not sprint to reach you quickly.
      -It made relatively the same amount of damage
      With all this the bow wasn’t considered overpowered.

The way the bow was nerfed is silly. Nerf the reloading speed if you want, nerf the damage, nerf whatever you want but never make the mechanics more clunky than they should be.

• +1 for akarnir’s post.

Whenever I kill someone in Chivalry with a bow/crossbow, unless he’s standing still and I have time to adjust the clunky aiming system, I honestly don’t feel that it was my skill that resulted in the kill. It’s way more luck than skill the way it is now in Chiv.

Here’s a simply thing to test: Try doing a full circle with the crossbow reticule from top right corner to bottom right corner, then left bottom, left top. It moves really odd, doesn’t it?

• Just played several rounds of shortbow and had top 5 score on a team of 13-16 four maps straight, #1 score in the game on one of them, pretty much all from assist points. I already said the mouse sensitivity thing should be adjusted to be more lenient, but I really don’t see it as nearly as big an issue as you guys are making it out to be, certainly not one that makes it impossible or entirely luckbased to land a hit. Maybe it’s because I play more up close and aggressive, but ranged weapons aren’t meant to be used to snipe in Chivalry anyway.

• @SlyGoat:

Just played several rounds of shortbow and had top 5 score on a team of 13-16 four maps straight, #1 score in the game on one of them, pretty much all from assist points. I already said the mouse sensitivity thing should be adjusted to be more lenient, but I really don’t see it as nearly as big an issue as you guys are making it out to be, certainly not one that makes it impossible or entirely luckbased to land a hit. Maybe it’s because I play more up close and aggressive, but ranged weapons aren’t meant to be used to snipe in Chivalry anyway.

Yeah I get they aren’t snipes. But consider 2 things :
    -the assist don’t count for unlocking : it’s going to be hell when you try to unlock a new
    -We come from Warband, and while the melee is a step forward, the ranged looks like a huge step backward. Yet ranged is far more easy to get right than melee.
    Warband didn’t need those clumsy ranged controls and this weird delay, why would chivalry need them?