"The panic drop".

• I find it extremely frustrating when sometimes using throwing weapons, pots, bow and especially a crossbow, the weapon simply won’t switch to melee weapon of my choice. The worst is with the crossbow if you have RMB pressed as you can’t simply press a number to switch the weapon, first you have to undo the RMB and then taptaptap. But even then when I keep pressing and pressing and I have all the time to get the weapon in my hand before the enemy comes rushing for me but sometimes it just doesn’t work. Especially if I get hit from somewhere else beforehand, like when a stray arrow hits you. The whole weapon switching from bow/crossbow to a melee weapon is somewhat clumsy and too slow for realism/gameplays sake. So here’s a suggestion:

"The Panic Drop".
    If pressing "

• Developer

interesting idea, cuz you are faced with a serious choice, dropping your primary for survival.

• I’d rather weapon switch just be much faster and able to be done no matter what - barring certain circumstances like being flinched from a kick/parry or being in the middle of an attack. The whole “de-nock your arrow, drop your bow, then take 3 seconds to switch to your sword and still have a delay before you can parry” thing just feels extremely clunky and a throwback to the bad mechanics of AoC. Switching to throwing weapons and back on the fly should be possible and encouraged, because that’s what they’re there for - to get a quick ranged hit in on a fleeing enemy or an archer or whatever. Same with archers - ambushing an archer is already a big enough advantage without them being completely unable to defend themselves, and being able to swap to melee quicker would if anything increase the enjoyment and skillcap of the class.

I also see no reason for you to be unable to kick with your bow out. It really feels like the game tries to force you into a horrible situation if someone gets within melee range of you as an archer - your disadvantage in melee should come from weaker weapons and lack of armor, not from archaic game mechanics.

• My point exactly, I just didn’t want to say that as straight as you did. I’ve actually brought that topic up few times on servers (and on forums quite surely too) about the unnecessary delays on weapon switching. I know there should be somekind of delay but right now ‘everything’ takes too long. :| Speaking of not being able to kick whilst having a bow, I don’t understand the logic of not being able to switch weapon if you have the crossbow on RMB either.

Ranged combat is already one of the most challenging things there is in the game. :?

• Remove passive blocking from the pavise shield and I’d be okay with crossbow being able to switch while in aiming mode ;)

Seriously, who even plants the pavise? You just turn around whenever you reload and it covers you completely anyway, without the eventually breakage.

• What about having one block free with an ranged weapon. Imagining holding a crossbow while noticing a sword flying at me I would totally use the xbow to block it, then it would eventually break or drop and I had a second to change to my melee weapon.

• PLEASE make weapon switching faster for weapons. ITs way to clunky right now and frusterating button smashing to switch.

Maybe have a faster wep switch for smaller weps like from bow to dagger. longsword to dagger. ect ect….

• @Mas:

PLEASE make weapon switching faster for weapons. ITs way to clunky right now and frusterating button smashing to switch.

Maybe have a faster wep switch for smaller weps like from bow to dagger. longsword to dagger. ect ect….

That might even make the daggers useful over the shortsword/cudgel.

• @Mas:

PLEASE make weapon switching faster for weapons. ITs way to clunky right now and frusterating button smashing to switch.

I do like the idea, it makes logical sense as well: Pulling a dagger out from near your waist? Easy and fast. Drawing a huge a$$ longsword from your back? Takes a bit longer doesn’t it.

• ok ok panic drop = nice idea but if the archer can only grab his own weapon so no trolls play the real supporters there.

sure a longsword takes longer to draw than a dagger buuuuuuut if u wanna keep ur weapon u gotta sheath it, that mostly for ranged weapons takes AGES its not just stuffing it somewhere its making it fit so that it doesnt interupt movement / fighting and doesnt break when taking a hit to the front body

so basically …… no change on the speed

• I’d actually like to see twofold weapon draw modifiers. Currently the light crossbow and shortbow seem very lackluster to me - they’re designed to be in closer to the action firing off quicker shots, but up that close you have much less time to react when an enemy rushes you. I think it’d make thematic and balance sense to have lighter weapons switch faster, and have daggers switch faster. So for example, switching between shortbow and shortsword would be about 30% faster than longbow to shortsword - and shortbow to dagger would be 50% faster, so the players who like to really play as roguelike skirmishers switching quickly between ranged and melee to take pot shots at enemies and defend themselves can actually do so, but at a huge cost of melee damage and reach as well as ranged power.

Would also help balance out the heavy crossbow. Right now the heavy crossbow just feels unbelievably sluggish. The reload is enormously long and the damage increase from crossbow… is there even one? I haven’t noticed any situation where the heavy crossbow will kill in one hit where the regular crossbow wouldn’t. If you make significantly slower to switch, the damage could be ramped up because now it has both a slow weapon switch drawback and a slow reload drawback. Getting caught up close with the heavy crossbow would therefore be extremely helpless, but at a distance you’d be raining one hit kill sniper death down on even the tankiest of knights.