Unlockable Arrowheads.

• Well there aren’t any unlockable arrowheads as far as I know yet so here’s some ideas I have…

1st Unlock -> Poison tip’d arrows - They have no damage bonus vs Armored or Unarmored but do stamina damage over time to Unarmored and you can hold 20 at a time. (10% stam per sec for 10 seconds?)

2nd Unlock -> Gun Powder tip’d arrows - They have no damage bonus vs Armored or Unarmored but have a strong flinch effect vs Armored foes and you can hold 20 at a time. (The metal arrow head hits the armor and causes a spark, making a small explosion.)

These arrows would do less damage than the current arrows and be more about support!

• they’re already going to be adding flame arrows to the game. poison arrows really have no place because stamina isn’t a HUGE deal and would only be aggravating more than it already s to be shot by one. no gun powder.

• @Vox:

they’re already going to be adding flame arrows to the game. poison arrows really have no place because stamina isn’t a HUGE deal and would only be aggravating more than it already s to be shot by one. no gun powder.

According to what I was told by one Dev. Flame arrows will be available by lighting your arrows up on pyres, so it is not actually a loadout. Stamina can be a huge deal in many cases, I believe that is up to play style.

If you disagree with both suggestions, what would be your constructive criticism on a better idea for arrow unlockables?

Also can you elaborate more. Your reply was vague in description of why you dislike poison and gunpowder tip’d arrows.

• I think Poison arrows are unnecessarily making the game less simple.

As for the exploding arrows, I would sure as hell not want them, I can’t see them fit the theme of the game.

• this is a medieval game, not renaissance, gun power doesn’t fit the game. poison arrows wouldn’t be very effective other than to piss off your enemy because stamina in chiv is a non-issue, unless you’re dodging around the map or flailing your weapon around and not using it properly. off the top of my head, no, i can’t think of any arrow heads that would be good to put into the game, in a little while i might think up a few though.

• @Vox:

this is a medieval game, not renaissance, gun power doesn’t fit the game. poison arrows wouldn’t be very effective other than to piss off your enemy because stamina in chiv is a non-issue, unless you’re dodging around the map or flailing your weapon around and not using it properly. off the top of my head, no, i can’t think of any arrow heads that would be good to put into the game, in a little while i might think up a few though.

Not everything in the game actually fits btw. Looks at the gladiator like arena, which is possibly one of the most enjoyed maps.

Well, I can think of tons of uses for stam draining arrows. As an archer I would usually look for teammates that are currently fighting enemies. If I could drain their stamina, that enemy would no longer be able to effectively attack my teammate unless they stop for a moment. My teammate could even go for killing them instead.

Different strategies could be made from it. Also as an archer, your job isn’t just to kill or assist. When you hit someone and they need to stop and heal up for a bit, that’s time they aren’t helping their team fight yours. Often all the people you make stop fighting to heal will be doing that while their team dies.

Also when an enemy is rushing right at me, if I manage to hit him with an arrow first, then he will have to back off for a moment or try to kill me fast enough before his stam is gone.

In any case, I feel there really should be more arrow choices, it feel very limited with only 2 arrows that do practically the same thing. In the archer class, the choices feel more lacking than other classes where you have a selection of shields or fire pots or throwing weapons, etc. In the Archer class, you mostly just pick your primary weapon and secondary and that’s it.

• when you hit them once with an arrow they either back off to heal or die, basically the same effect as the poison arrow you’re suggesting. i’m not saying there shouldn’t be more arrow types, i think that would be a wonderful thing if there were 3-5 different choices, it would make using a bow more unique. i’m saying that stamina drain, until changed, isn’t a big thing because of how little it’s used and how quickly it regenerates out of combat, i don’t see myself having to ration my stamina like i did in AoC. and if you’re not killing things or assisting your team, what are you doing?

• “Also as an archer, your job isn’t just to kill or assist.” As in, those are not the only direct functions of an archer. About the stamina drain, I would disagree on usefulness and I believe we can leave it at that.

I’m sure in time the dev’s will come up with more tertiary choices. This is just an idea for them to possibly build upon, since they are the professionals.

• don’t get offended when some replies with their opinion on an idea you have.

• I like the idea of the poison arrow from the perspective that it might make a melee class hesitate to rush in on you after being hit. A good archer armed with these arrows would have a better chance dueling against somebody. Not a bad thought ~X~, though maybe 100% stamina depletion over 10 seconds is a bit much.

I also have to agree with Vox considering the other things. While supporting teammates, arrows seem to already kill fast enough and put enemies fighting your allies at a disadvantage. I can’t speak for it because I haven’t played yet but if stamina is a non-factor right now, the poison would seem to make little difference. That might be an indication that stamina needs a rework, or maybe not (I’m no expert).

If ideas in general are what you’re looking for, I’ll pitch a slightly different one. Since they’re already adding a fire arrow to the game, why not allow the archer to carry a small cask or bladder of oil to create a trap on the ground. They can ignite the trap with their fire arrow from afar. This makes an interesting dynamic where parts of the battlefield are temporarily blocked, units may be cut off, encircled in flame, or cooked alive.

Balancing issues come into play. How large an area can a single archer set ablaze? Does that area need to vary inside vs outside? Is the trap area visible to friend/foe? Should visibility, itself, vary depending on the terrain that the oil is laid on? Should friend/foe be allowed to trigger the trap using fire bombs or the torches that are used to burn down the village house objectives?

Since there’s a time requirement to prepare the trap it’s more viable for the archer to deploy it before the fight moves into an area, they have to decide when and where. If the archer is willing to put a lot of time into the trap (i.e. run back to the resupply near the spawn point), should they be able to increase the size of their trap at the cost of an increase in preparation time?

No, it’s not an arrow. But it creates a bit of a different, almost engineer-like, role for the archer which could be fun to have. Especially in clan matches where a team would decide whether or not they can spare the man to go make the trap. A lull in the attacking team’s push gives the defending team time to create a prepared position. Prepared positions have been a part of military tactics since as long as recorded history can claim. The devs plant the ballistas, catapults, etc in the maps for us. This mechanic would give us the ability to design our non-infantry defenses for ourselves.

Hopefully the flame particle effects don’t break people’s machines XD

• Fire arrows were a pain to balance before when I was dealing with it. I had to deal with initial damage + damage over time, and those combined plus the fire effect was deemed overpowered in every case, even when it took 3 arrows to do the job, which I was confused about.

I actually wanted fire arrows to work differently altogether, they would do very low damage when hitting anyone, but instead they were supposed to act as area denial weapons, much like the oilpot. You could shoot at people defending areas, and it would create a very small area of fire on the ground where the arrow landed, people who walked over it would be pulsed for X damage, similar to the way fire worked on the ground in Age of Chivalry - nothing too powerful, around 15-20 damage per pulse. I wanted to create an archer utility weapon that might be considered useful in competitive play when attacking or defending chokepoints, but the idea was shot down by the others (no pun intended). I’d never seen it done before, so may or may not have been a good choice.

• I could see poison arrows if it took place of your dagger but that would be stupid

• what i heard it that they are not going to add fire arrows don’t know why.

• @LuckeR:

what i heard it that they are not going to add fire arrows don’t know why.

I’m fairly certain fire arrows will be map specific, with a supply of fire arrows and braziers placed in certain areas so they can only be shot from there. Think of it like torches in Stoneshill and Battleground.

• The only way I can see poison arrows that make sense would be to make them slightly less damaging than normal ones, but drain a players stamina for five seconds after being hit, for a total of 30% of their current stamina level per arrow. That way your target will lose more stamina when they are full than if they are half empty.

Alternatively, hitting an enemy could disable their stamina regeneration for 5-10 seconds…

• @Viper:

Alternatively, hitting an enemy could disable their stamina regeneration for 5-10 seconds…

i actually think this is a good idea, rather than forcing someone out of a fight right away you lock them in their current state and can only get worse for the next few seconds. i think it would force players out of combat in different stages of fighting someone, either they wouldn’t want to waste their stamina trying to kill someone or they would be able to defend themselves after using all of their stamina. i think this is better than the stamina drain because of how easily you can regenerate stamina, with this it forces you to stop because you can’t fight because you can’t regen stamina.

• I think that is the best idea for poison arrows I’ve seen so far. It’s powerful without being impossible to deal with - you just avoid over reliance on comboing and kicking and such until you’re no longer poisoned. Additionally perhaps sprinting while poisoned would drain your stamina.

• Instead of the gun powder arrow that was suggested, there could be a Bludgeon arrow head which would do the same thing, hits the target and staggers them or makes them flinch while also doing some damage. These have existed for a long time for killing birds with out slicing them to bits with a bladed head.

Also another idea for a poison arrow could slow the turn rate of the person hit, this way you can play as an assist. Maybe make it that if the target is killed by a team mate while slowed you also get a point towards what ever bow you used.

• why stamina? I would prefer bleed damage-

Hit someone with an arrow that would do a decent amount of damage but you bleed over time which would cause more harm. maybe more harm when you swim weapons or run… but the bleed time is all during a certain time frame maybe 5 sec?

plus would love to see the animations that could be done for something like that…