Why is the flail windup so slow?

• Even with the update, this weapon just can’t compete against bastard swords and now SPEARS. Increase its windup speed and range a bit but keep its measly damage the same. This weapon looks so badass but does nothing.

• Pretty sure eryone can agree. I have a hard time understanding why TB can balance the q staff an polehammer but not the flail.

• The flail is pointless. It uses the exact same mechanism as swords and whatnot it seems. Horiz,overhead,(shield bash is a bit different at least).

It should be a completely different style… Hold mouse1 to start it swinging around your head, the longer it swings the more damage it will do, but it also takes stamina to swing it around. Release it to start the attack. The Tracer comes from the point in the arc that the flail ball is currently sitting at, this would make it a very different type of weapon. As to get a consistent swing you would have to release it at the same time every time. You could vary it up by releasing at different times to get different tracer starts/ends.
    I’m sure it would then become a formidable weapon. If you hold mouse2 while swinging around your head, it moves it into a vertical based swing instead. So if you time it just right, Mouse1 for a bit, then tap Mouse2 the arc moves into a diagonal position as it is crossing into vertical swing mode. Release mouse buttons and BAM! diagonal based attack. So much variation it would be so, so scary. As a Flail should be.

• @Toll:

The flail is pointless. It uses the exact same mechanism as swords and whatnot it seems. Horiz,overhead,(shield bash is a bit different at least).

It should be a completely different style… Hold mouse1 to start it swinging around your head, the longer it swings the more damage it will do, but it also takes stamina to swing it around. Release it to start the attack. The Tracer comes from the point in the arc that the flail ball is currently sitting at, this would make it a very different type of weapon. As to get a consistent swing you would have to release it at the same time every time. You could vary it up by releasing at different times to get different tracer starts/ends.
    I’m sure it would then become a formidable weapon. If you hold mouse2 while swinging around your head, it moves it into a vertical based swing instead. So if you time it just right, Mouse1 for a bit, then tap Mouse2 the arc moves into a diagonal position as it is crossing into vertical swing mode. Release mouse buttons and BAM! diagonal based attack. So much variation it would be so, so scary. As a Flail should be.

That would be amazing. I hope the devs take this into consideration…

• @Magnificent:

@Toll:

The flail is pointless. It uses the exact same mechanism as swords and whatnot it seems. Horiz,overhead,(shield bash is a bit different at least).

Yep, I suggested exactly the same thing ages ago; see the link in my sig :)

• Suggestion is nice, but is it doable?

• @Holy.Death:

Suggestion is nice, but is it doable?

IT MUST BE

• That’s actually how the Flail worked in Alpha, you held M1 to spin it around. Flail was replaced with Grand Mace before release though.

• @Martin:

That’s actually how the Flail worked in Alpha, you held M1 to spin it around. Flail was replaced with Grand Mace before release though.

Fix it back then??

Owait that’s impossible by your logic.

• I get the impression from this forum that the developers are actively trying to balance all weapons equally in all situations.

Like, that the Heavy Flail should be as good in as many broad applications as a basic sword, but that TB is just trying to “dial in” the numbers and hitboxes and eventually we will get there?

Is that true? That seems crazy to me. Also, it seems like the weapons will have to act strange as hell to get there.

• Who knows what they are doing.

In my mind weapons should be catagorised into a couple of broad catagories.

1. 1v1 weapon
    2. Support weapon for team fights
    3. 1Vmany weapon
    4. Ranged

Something like that.

Not all weapons should be used for 1v1, simple as that.
    Spears for instance, shouldn’t really be good at 1v1, but they should excel as a support weapon.

Stuff like that. Otherwise you might as well remove all weapons except the Longsword that way everything is balanced.

• @Magnificent:

@Toll:

That sounds neat.

• @Toll:

Who knows what they are doing.

In my mind weapons should be catagorised into a couple of broad catagories.

1. 1v1 weapon
    2. Support weapon for team fights
    3. 1Vmany weapon
    4. Ranged

Something like that.

Not all weapons should be used for 1v1, simple as that.
    Spears for instance, shouldn’t really be good at 1v1, but they should excel as a support weapon.

Stuff like that. Otherwise you might as well remove all weapons except the Longsword that way everything is balanced.

I don’t agree. All weapons should stand alone based on the skill of the player. This includes timing, footwork and sheer physiological will power.

• It’s way too soon to call out problems with weapon balance yet. I played with the normal flail today and absolutely dominated with it.
    I think some people need to practice more with weapons they think are terrible before they come on to complain.
    The only real issues I have come across with weapon unbalance in this latest patch is a few instances of weapons reaching way further than their models show and the slings.

I do however support making the flail a more unique weapon and would love to see the spinning mechanic if it is possible to implement.

• I see people absolutely raping with flail. I also see a lot of people complaining that spear sucks and does no damage and yet I do my absolutely best with spear (and billhook). None of the weapons suck they just play differently. Some people wont like weapon A, while others will love it.

• @Cannibal_Necrophile:

I see people absolutely raping with flail. I also see a lot of people complaining that spear sucks and does no damage and yet I do my absolutely best with spear (and billhook). None of the weapons suck they just play differently. Some people wont like weapon A, while others will love it.

There are still objective differences between weapons. And some weapons can, in fact, be overpowered based on stats and handling alone.