This is how the Flail should work.

• The flail is fail, it is seemingly just a sword/mace/axe type weapon that looks different, is slower and pretty much redundant.

It should be a completely different style… Something like what follows:

Hold mouse1 to start it swinging around your head, the longer it swings the more damage it will do, but it also takes stamina to swing it around. Release it to start the attack. The Tracer comes from the point in the arc that the flail ball is currently sitting at, this would make it a very different type of weapon. As to get a consistent swing you would have to release it at the same time every time. You could vary it up by releasing at different times to get different tracer starts/ends.
    I’m sure it would then become a formidable weapon. If you hold mouse2 while swinging around your head, it moves it into a vertical based swing instead. So if you time it just right, Mouse1 for a bit, then tap Mouse2 the arc moves into a diagonal position as it is crossing into vertical swing mode. Release mouse buttons and BAM! diagonal based attack. So much variation it would be so, so scary. As a Flail should be.

• Sort of like a melee sling, huh? That would make a difficult weapon to master, but those who did…

Anyone else imagining Eowyn and the Nazgul duking it out?

• I liked the idea until;
    @Toll:

If you hold mouse2 while swinging around your head, it moves it into a vertical based swing instead. So if you time it just right, Mouse1 for a bit, then tap Mouse2 the arc moves into a diagonal position as it is crossing into vertical swing mode. Release mouse buttons and BAM! diagonal based attack. So much variation it would be so, so scary. As a Flail should be.

That makes it a bit over complicated.
    Instead. using the overhead while you’re holding Horizontal attack releases the attack in the overhead motion.
    OR just have the flail swinging mechanic have an optional separate bind.
    Tapping horizontal attack should perform like it does currently, same thing with overhead.

I don’t know about the stamina drain though, I’d be all for it if shields particularly the buckler didn’t suck so much ass with stamina management.

I’ve already made a suggestion for the buckler in another thread, but here it is again.

Bucklers aren’t heavy tanky protective shields, they’re supposed to act like a second weapon with the added bonus of being able to block.

Now I don’t think that would be ever implemented in chivalry but I think I have a small solution to make the buckler not a piece of garbage.

Give the buckler the ability to parry, it would have the same hitbox, active window and recovery as a normal weapon parry but DO NOT give it the user the ability to riposte after the parry.
    The buckler should also retain the regular hold to block function but with the added stamina penalty.
    This way you can have better stamina management and be rewarded for timing your blocks correctly.

• Parry’s and Block for all shields/weapons have the same hitbox. I’m not sure what you are saying for the buckler. Make it parry but not riposte and also let it block. That is kind of what block already does.

The idea with the flail is to make it different to the other weapons. Heck most of the weapons in this game are essentially the same mechanic just with different models and reach/speed/damage numbers.

• IIRC shields take more stamina drain than parries.
    That’s why I made the suggestion for the buckler.

Also the change I suggested from your idea doens’t really change the core of what you suggested, it just makes it more realistic to implement.

• It does change the core, perhaps my explanation isn’t clear enough. O well.

• It’s a lot of holding mouse buttons, I feel. Because while you are “charging up” your flail by holding LMB, you would want to keep your shield up holding RMB.

I think that you should automatically “charge up” your flail by also blocking with your shield, and then when you press LMB, you will swing it. So you can still do overhead or alt-swings. An alt-swing will look like a fluid 8-motion. It might already look like that though, haven’t played flail much. If you do a stab though, which is a punch with the edge of the shield, you will still maintain the spinning chain and ball as long as you hold RMB at the same time. If you don’t decide to do another attack, it goes straight back to shield block, but if you do follow up the shield punch with a swing of the flail, it will execute really fast! So it’s kind of unique in Chivalry that you can “attack with both hands” as a combo.

Downside with flail is if you get parried, then you have to “charge up” the flail again… which shouldn’t take too long to do, that would be boring and ineffective. But it’s a known weakness. Another downside is that you want to keep the flail spinning, and while doing this you can’t regain stamina, just like it is for everyone when holding a shield up.

I don’t think that you should be able to charge up more and more damage the longer you keep the ball and chain spinning, though.