Improve animations: Hip pivoting

• I suggest better animations to depict turning of the hips into swings. When the model swings in live he just twists his upper body while the legs stay put. The legs should be animated with the upper body to give off a twisting pivot, which is what fighters of all kinds do to add power to their swings. Plus it looks cooler.

Note the Bastard Sword/Shield knight’s body torquing with every strike, especially at :28 seconds : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN30YMzja6Y

• Animators nightmare.

• Of course. I think everyone would agree that the more realistic animations we could get, the better the game would look. But as lemonater said - animator’s nightmare.

But we can always hope :)

• Animator’s nightmare? I think animating your game fully comes with the territory of being a game developer… Plus they animated the upper body pivoting, why not the lower body? It just looks awkward and weak right now. I want to see some torque in those hips! :D

• Becuase editing animation a is far harder than making a new one.

I think they do top and bottom half animations. As the top Hal of the body and bottom half could be doing different things. Running, standing, jumping, walking. They all use the same too half animation. Just means you don’t have to animate as much.

• @lemonater47:

Becuase editing animation a is far harder than making a new one.

I think they do top and bottom half animations. As the top Hal of the body and bottom half could be doing different things. Running, standing, jumping, walking. They all use the same too half animation. Just means you don’t have to animate as much.

No, it just looks robotic and unnatural. You type a lot but you don’t make a point. They need to improve the attack animations because they don’t do the immersion justice. Are you arguing for poor animations?

Skyrim does this animation nicely.

• @Magnificent:

@lemonater47:

No, it just looks robotic and unnatural. You type a lot but you don’t make a point. They need to improve the attack animations because they don’t do the immersion justice. Are you arguing for poor animations?

You obviously don’t know the first thing about animation, but I do agree that right now swinging a weapon looks odd and unnatural, but it’s not exactly an easy thing to fix.

• @Magnificent:

@lemonater47:

Yeah I suppose a game with a purpose built engine from a multi million dollar company that’s been in the industry for 20 years has good animations. Considering they didn’t really need to sync up first and third person animations much at all. And some of the animations were done with mocap.

Torn banner with its one animator that had to beg and use money out of their own pockets should be able to have animation on par if not better than skyrim.

• @lemonater47:

@Magnificent:

@lemonater47:

Yeah I suppose a game with a purpose built engine from a multi million dollar company that’s been in the industry for 20 years has good animations. Considering they didn’t really need to sync up first and third person animations much at all. And some of the animations were done with mocap.

Torn banner with its one animator that had to beg and use money out of their own pockets should be able to have animation on par if not better than skyrim.

Not my problem that they can’t animate their game. Well, it is. Since I paid the full price for this game. I love this game but it needs work in these areas.

• Skyrim was like $90 while chiv is $25.

There’s a big fucking difference.

And indie game vs AAA title.

You try animating it then.

• ow common guys its not that hard animation blending is a standard feature in UDK…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MYCKQne1YE

• This is a well-known game, there are many players in the world, yes he is Guild Wars.

GW2 Gold|Guild Wars 2 Gold|GW2 Gold Kaufen