How does parry work?

• Does it use tracers like weapon swinging does? How do you activate that in the console?

Is it instant? For some reason, its not. I can only block attacks when I parry during their wind up. Quick parry during their swing never works.

Is it possible for someone to attack through you’re parry? I see archer daggers constantly reaching past my parry with their overhead strike stab thing, which looks like they are reaching over and past the parry itself.

• Parry is a hitbox if I can remember correctly.

You can go around parries. Facehugging archers with daggers at very good at doing that. Don’t let them get close.

• Smaller daggers (butterknives) are smaller, and thus harder to block. You have to aim your parry at the tip of the enemy’s sword to do the best block.

• @Rynelf:

Smaller daggers (butterknives) are smaller, and thus harder to block. You have to aim your parry at the tip of the enemy’s sword to do the best block.

I’m not entirely convinced this is working correctly. I’m no noob, I’ve got a solid 500+ hours in this game, and pre-patch (when facehugging was better) I had no problems with archers and their daggers, or even an MaA facehugging me with a dane axe. I could turn a good 60-90 degrees to find their weapon, parry it, and riposte back at them and land a hit a good amount of the time.

Now I’m finding that where my parry hits (let’s face it, a dagger hilt and tip are pretty much in the same place anyway) is sometimes completely bypassed by an archer dagger or other sidearm, though it’s definitely the dagger I’m finding to get me the most.

Recently I began using the flail, which required me to use the buckler. Everyone says the buckler sucks, but I aim it like I aim my parries and I can block a good 90% of incoming stuff if I see it coming. I’ve had more than a few occasions where an archer’s hand clipped through my buckler holding a knife and stabbed me. Like consecutive times. And I mean THROUGH my buckler.

I think there’s something funky going on with the daggers especially.

Also please note I normally argue that hit detection in this game is solid.

• Parry seems to have become a mystery…sometimes it’s like a good neighbor, always there for you. Other times, it seems that it feels under-appreciated and goes on strike, leaving a substitute, non-Union parry in its place, which is wholly inadequate and doesn’t work. Thus I’ve had instances where I should have been hit by a strike but parried non-the-less, and other times when I’ve perfectly timed my parry only to watch the spear stab go right through.

This wouldn’t be as MUCH of an issue if it were consistent (though still a problem, because if parries didn’t work then everyone would roll MAA), but it’s on again/off again, which is driving everyone up the bloody wall. Hit reg seems to be having the same issues…

• you press RMB, if they feint your parry doesn’t work, if they don’t, your parry works. Its like paper scissors rock, except the best case scenario is that you block and lose stamina.

• I noticed that parry/block feels weird asgainst certain weapons like spears or daggers. Other weapons I don’t experience such troubles to block/parry. I am not sure what can be causing said differences.

• @Holy.Death:

I noticed that parry/block feels weird asgainst certain weapons like spears or daggers. Other weapons I don’t experience such troubles to block/parry. I am not sure what can be causing said differences.

its because the hitbox of these weapons is small and can bypass your blockbox, aim towards the spear head/dagger.

• after the patch you have to parry to the left of where you should parry, it’s annoying but that’s how it is. If you’ve noticed people blocking your strikes while you’re attacking their right side and your hit shouldn’t be blocked it’s blocked, didn’t occur pre-patch. But then again the patch kinda screwed up the hitdetection all over.

• @Urban:

Other times, it seems that it feels under-appreciated and goes on strike, leaving a substitute, non-Union parry in its place

This is a fantastic analogy. I couldn’t tell you how accurate it is as I need to play more but I can’t help but laugh at creative comments :D

• I find the best way to parry consistently is consider where the enemy weapon is going to touch your body. Turn and position your view so that it witnesses where the weapon and your body will meet. Then hit the parry.

“Aim for the tip” is technically true, but can also mislead you in some ways. A much better rule is “You can only guard what you can see.”

All the other issues are likely due to latency. High ping can cause animations to play quite a bit later then when the opponent actually physically attacks. Then the server decides that you got hit by it because it hates you. :(

• Nah, the servers I play on give me somewhere between 60 and 100 ping. The absolutely highest playable latency I’ve found for Chivalry is ~120ms…

But anyways, it’s not a latency issue =/

• I’m not specifically talking about you. It doesn’t need to be you that lags to cause these problems. Your ping is not the only one that matters. There are other people playing too. Laggy people. Your opponent lagging can cause equally wonky things.

I’d say that 100 ping is the absolute threshold where things get wonky and parrying becomes completely unpredictable. Whenever a swing goes through my parry, before I get too irritated, I always hit tab and check my killer’s ping. It’s always some dude with 220 ping or something. From that point on, I deal with that person differently and avoid trying to parry him.

• If hits are detected on the server and then pushed out to the players (which I’m not sure that this is the case), then it shouldn’t matter how high the other player’s ping is…When their swing goes through to the server, you see it when it ACTUALLY happens - and then you block it (or not) according to your skill and if you were looking in the right direction. Assuming you’ve got a decent connection…if your latency is off the wall then gg <___<

Of course, I’m not sure if these things are done server- or client-side, so that could add quite a bit of wonkiness to the matter.

• I’d say that 100 ping is the absolute threshold where things get wonky and parrying becomes completely unpredictable.

From my point of view threshold is somewhere around 150-160. 120-130 seems to work fine. I think it’s less about ping and more about your position, enemy position, where and how you attack, where and how he blocks/parry, etc.

• @Holy.Death:

I’d say that 100 ping is the absolute threshold where things get wonky and parrying becomes completely unpredictable.

From my point of view threshold is somewhere around 150-160. 120-130 seems to work fine. I think it’s less about ping and more about your position, enemy position, where and how you attack, where and how he blocks/parry, etc.

Hmm. Well, 120-130 is fine if I parry immediately against every attack, but I always parry at the last moment and ping that high will screw me up every time.