Why do you play TO when you don't want to do the objective?

• A fix for this would be probably:
    1. Make ranks and weapon-unlocks not only use kills but also objective-points.
    2. Give people more points for doing the objectives.

• @afiNity:

A fix for this would be probably:
    1. Make ranks and weapon-unlocks not only use kills but also objective-points.
    2. Give people more points for doing the objectives.

thumbs up

Well making the TDM more customizable would also help I guess.
    But people, you’re destroying the game experience of TO players. You know… For example: Battlegrounds: The Masons point is killing the agathians trying to attack. So good for all you guys who just want to kill. The Agathians need to burn the farm und push the cart. At the Farm you can find many Masons. They spawn there! And it’s fun to burn stuff.
    2nd stage: Go with your friends to the cart. If you dont want to push, dont do it, but go to the front, so the actual TO players don’t have to fight the whole mason team alone.

Like this you’ll have your killing experience without pissing off the actual TO players.

• You don’t win TO objectives by everyone playing the objective. You win TO by one or two people doing the objective and everyone else keeping the enemies off of you by playing TDM. If no one’s slaying and everyone’s doing the objective, then you’ll never win because the enemies will constantly be swarming the objective and you’ll never get close enough to it.

• @SFJake:

The fights ALWAYS end up around the same spot and in some maps its pretty terrible (unlike TO where you fight in a variety of places)

Tends to only be a variety of places if the objectives are actually completed though. :P

• @SOC:

You don’t win TO objectives by everyone playing the objective. You win TO by one or two people doing the objective and everyone else keeping the enemies off of you by playing TDM. If no one’s slaying and everyone’s doing the objective, then you’ll never win because the enemies will constantly be swarming the objective and you’ll never get close enough to it.

That’s only working if the enemy team is doing TDM, too. If the enemies are doing the objective, they’ll stay close to it and you end up alone against them. That’s what I described and it happens to me all the time. For example battlegrounds: The Bomb cart must be pushed behind the masons spawn. They spawn and run to the cart. All of them. And if you’re just 2 or 3 people pushing the cart, you’re outnumbered. I can handle 2-3 people, depending on their skill, but it gets impossible for me to kill their whole team alone.

• @Peter:

That’s only working if the enemy team is doing TDM, too. If the enemies are doing the objective, they’ll stay close to it and you end up alone against them. That’s what I described and it happens to me all the time. For example battlegrounds: The Bomb cart must be pushed behind the masons spawn. They spawn and run to the cart. All of them. And if you’re just 2 or 3 people pushing the cart, you’re outnumbered. I can handle 2-3 people, depending on their skill, but it gets impossible for me to kill their whole team alone.

No, it works because stopping their reinforcements at spawns or baiting them out and away from the objective can play a huge role in winning TOs. If we’re on Citadel and the enemy team has 10 players swarming the two ballistae, you’re going to have to hit and run and try to force them to come out for you. Just because your team mates are all running and trying to kill the first enemy they see, doesn’t mean they’re not playing TO. You can always go in team chat and say “wait for everyone at spawn and go as a big group,” but just because they’re rushing the moment they respawn doesn’t mean they’re “playing TDM.”

What you’re basically describing is the woes of attacking team in pubs. Defending team always has the advantage because it’s much more simpler to keep organized and do the job, but attacking team has to work together and use teamwork to win which is uncommon in pubs. Soloing as an attacker is hard, so don’t blame your team mates when you aren’t coordinating them and say they’re just “playing TDM.” Most of your wins as a solo attacker will come from YOU “playing TDM” so your team mates can push carts with less resistance.

• I play MAA. I almost never do the objective. The objective is where most of the major fights take place. Going to the objective prevents me from doing anything helpful and I’m just sitting there, waiting for the fustercluck to end so I finally CAN do something. A 3v3 situation for me is MUCH MORE dangerous than a 3v1. I’m much more useful cutting off the flow of enemies trying to get to the objective and taking out enemies as they trickle out of spawn.

In the best case scenario, I allow my team to do the objectives unimpeded.

In the worst case scenario, I waste a large amount of my opponent’s time while my team is doing the objectives unimpeded.

• @SOC:

@Peter:

No, it works because stopping their reinforcements at spawns or baiting them out and away from the objective can play a huge role in winning TOs. If we’re on Citadel and the enemy team has 10 players swarming the two ballistae, you’re going to have to hit and run and try to force them to come out for you. Just because your team mates are all running and trying to kill the first enemy they see, doesn’t mean they’re not playing TO. You can always go in team chat and say “wait for everyone at spawn and go as a big group,” but just because they’re rushing the moment they respawn doesn’t mean they’re “playing TDM.”

What you’re basically describing is the woes of attacking team in pubs. Defending team always has the advantage because it’s much more simpler to keep organized and do the job, but attacking team has to work together and use teamwork to win which is uncommon in pubs. Soloing as an attacker is hard, so don’t blame your team mates when you aren’t coordinating them and say they’re just “playing TDM.” Most of your wins as a solo attacker will come from YOU “playing TDM” so your team mates can push carts with less resistance.

playing TDM.

Yeah IF they would do it as you describe. But they usually don’t. You see 4 people just running at one damn guy while you’re getting outnumbered by the rest of the enemies. I wouldn’t complain if they did what you describe.

• @Peter:

I always ask my self this question:
    Why do people join a TO server, when they don’t want to do the objective. I just played TO Citadel as Agatha and I was pissed off because of my team. Me and 1 other player (and right before the end one more player that just joined) were the ONLY ones that were trying to get to the ballistas. One time I got up there alone. I fired some shots at the barricade, got killed by 3 enemies, because I was still alone and then the round ended. I ragequitted then. What was my team doing?
    Let me tell you: They were hiding behind those rocks and shouting: “Retreat!!” all the time. Others were just doing TDM.
    I really can’t understand this. If you want to play TDM, go to a TDM server and not to a TO server.
    People like that are really annoying the crap out of me.
    Your opinions?

Full TO servers are easy to find and sometimes players just want to go on a killing rampage. Also a lot of new players have no idea what to do and don’t care because they are still amazed by the combat. Also I figure the more enemies I kill the more time it gives for other players to complete the objective. If I run to battle asap every time I spawn and kill 2 people that helps my team greatly, it gives the objective completers more time. I also complete objectives but I can see both sides of the coin. When I defend I love when a lone straggler comes up with like 1 hp and dies to my kick. That’s because people are running out there fighting hard softening up the enemy before they get to the objective.

Ideally everyone should wait for the entire team then all rush the objective, but that’s a hard sell in public games, the only games I play :).

• As an archer.

BC of ammo boxes.

• There’s more to TO than just 1-3 people standing around an objective whilst everyone else get’s the kills. I almost always play TO on offensive. Most of the time I top the boards for objective points, and often for total kills as well.

It’s true that you need a certain amount of people off the objective, killing defenders and/or drawing them away. However there are times when that doesn’t help.

Many of the TO maps have multiple objectives which need multiple attackers (breaking cages and freeing slaves in Citadel, killing peasants and burning houses in Stoneshill, destroying trebs, shooting ballistas etc.) so 1 or 2 people won’t do it. It depends on how many on the server but if there are too many attackers just focusing on killing then it becomes very difficult to achieve the objective.

The times when you need ALL of the team focussed on fighting around the objective are:

Darkforrest: the cart can usually be pushed by 1 or 2 people but often get’s stuck just before the gate on the first two objectives. Everyone needs to focus on fighting around the cart when it is so close to the enemy spawn.

Stoneshill: 1 or 2 well placed people behind enemy lines can usually clear the first objective here unless the defense is very good. Same thing here for the Ram as above for the cart. It can be pushed 90% of the way but to get it to the gate needs a concentrated push. Killing the king is much easier when the team meets up at spawn and attacks as a group.

Battlegrounds: one of the hardest maps for attackers. Once the bomb-cart is over 50% of the way it really needs both a strong team pushing the cart and people attacking the defenders flanks and spawns.

Hillside: The first objective is possibly the hardest against a good defense and will need a good offence. The real problem is that whilst one or two people can light the fire a good defense will keep putting it out. Optimally everyone will be pushing towards the fire or will at least rush it once they see it’s lit to stop it being put out. The next two objectives need at least half the team working together.

Citadel: the first and third objectives can be done by 1 or 2 sneaky people but getting all the last couple of cages usually involves a bit more teamwork if the defence is any good, same with the doors. Killing the king here is much easier than Stoneshill though.

• I think I must have landed 4 ballista shots, released 5 of the cages and freed 35 of the slaves and got 8 hits on the big doors by myself in my last game of Citadel on a full 24 player server.

Was concerning that the slaves nearest our spawn weren’t being freed. My team seemed to be charging through the whole map, and making it all the way around but not doing any of the objectives. I think I saw a team mate trying to kill a slave too.

Somehow we won, so the enemy defense must have been even worse lol.

• Clan trolling your server maybe?

• @Dr:

There’s more to TO than just 1-3 people standing around an objective whilst everyone else get’s the kills. I almost always play TO on offensive. Most of the time I top the boards for objective points, and often for total kills as well.

It’s true that you need a certain amount of people off the objective, killing defenders and/or drawing them away. However there are times when that doesn’t help.

Many of the TO maps have multiple objectives which need multiple attackers (breaking cages and freeing slaves in Citadel, killing peasants and burning houses in Stoneshill, destroying trebs, shooting ballistas etc.) so 1 or 2 people won’t do it. It depends on how many on the server but if there are too many attackers just focusing on killing then it becomes very difficult to achieve the objective.

The times when you need ALL of the team focussed on fighting around the objective are:

Darkforrest: the cart can usually be pushed by 1 or 2 people but often get’s stuck just before the gate on the first two objectives. Everyone needs to focus on fighting around the cart when it is so close to the enemy spawn.

Stoneshill: 1 or 2 well placed people behind enemy lines can usually clear the first objective here unless the defense is very good. Same thing here for the Ram as above for the cart. It can be pushed 90% of the way but to get it to the gate needs a concentrated push. Killing the king is much easier when the team meets up at spawn and attacks as a group.

Battlegrounds: one of the hardest maps for attackers. Once the bomb-cart is over 50% of the way it really needs both a strong team pushing the cart and people attacking the defenders flanks and spawns.

Hillside: The first objective is possibly the hardest against a good defense and will need a good offence. The real problem is that whilst one or two people can light the fire a good defense will keep putting it out. Optimally everyone will be pushing towards the fire or will at least rush it once they see it’s lit to stop it being put out. The next two objectives need at least half the team working together.

Citadel: the first and third objectives can be done by 1 or 2 sneaky people but getting all the last couple of cages usually involves a bit more teamwork if the defence is any good, same with the doors. Killing the king here is much easier than Stoneshill though.

You’re sooo f*ckin’ right! But I don’t fully agree with your statement about the first stage of citadel. It depends on the masons. I am one of those sneaky guys who sneak behind the enemy lines to get to the ballistas. But once you fire a shot, the masons know you’re there. Then it gets hard. Usually at least a group of 6 masons is coming to you then (talking about a full server). I can handle 2-3 people, depending on their skill, but that’s too much for me alone. Thanks to the others just killing, I can get there, but I can’t stay alive there. That’s the problem.

• Because it’s one of the few game modes where you can solo 16 people.