Great patch (no sarcasm)

• Combo breaker.

I’ve been playing this game since release. I’ve logged a few hundred hours, frequented every type of game play, including high level duels.

The patch improved the game many fold. You are going to hear a lot from the vocal minority about how they cant live without their feint parry combos, about how they cant live without their face hugging, collision clipping, invisible weapon arcing back stabs, and whatnot. Ignore them.

The truth is, the game needs changes like this to thrive. It needs new players. Players who won’t be subject to silly mechanics that ruin any semblance of fun they might otherwise have. Sure, the changes might make the learning curve a bit less steep, which of course will offend the “elite extreme super hardcore” self-proclaimed supergods of Chivalry.

Let them leave. The game will be healthier for their absence.

The game revolves more around swordplay now, than clipping, and feint mechanic abuse. I’m not saying those were exploits, i’m saying they were the cause of horrible design flaws, which have been fixed.

So to conclude. Don’t revert any of the mechanics changes Torn Banner. Sure, you’ll shut the elite few up for a while, but you’ll be losing a lot more in the long run.

• Fuck clanfags thread nr. 237

• He has a point though, the retention of new players seems higher per steam stats. Still going strong with over 6,000 concurrent. Last time, free weekend it started at 12,000 then dropped to 2,000 quickly.

We will see by end of week.

• @gregcau:

He has a point though, the retention of new players seems higher per steam stats. Still going strong with over 6,000 concurrent. Last time, free weekend it started at 12,000 then dropped to 2,000 quickly.

We will see by end of week.

Numbers from previous sales came back to 2k after avg. 2 weeks.

• I agree. I discussed the patch at length with one of the best Vanguards in the game IMO, f| Ninja Cub. He was very frustrated at all the changes, but I convinced him that the patch was not that bad, despite the shock value.

There were many good changes in the patch, including changes to feint, combo feint, underused weapons, player radius, weapon length, alt swing nerf, the new kick, and buckler screen size.

Players tend to dismiss a great deal of good changes if their favorite weapon was nerfed, or if they relied on purely one mechanic such as super dodge attacks. Learn to adapt, people.

• I don’t agree with a lot of changes in the patch, but honestly I feel that the patch overall has been good for the game. I am happy to see the servers stacked full of new players, even if those players are noobs.

• I think some of the changes were a bit severe or too much at once, but in general I agree.

I think a lot of people who are complaining need to take some time to play the game for a while and decide with an open mind if in fact it is a better game.

Or if it isn’t what should they keep? I have no time for the “revert everything” crowd.

• I agree.

“Good players” who raged about the new patch stop, they give up or they like the patch now. they is still good people in this forum (ofc), so this is good.

I think a lot of people still frustred as me but they accepte the change, because the game will always change.

• @wyrda78:

I don’t agree with a lot of changes in the patch, but honestly I feel that the patch overall has been good for the game. I am happy to see the servers stacked full of new players, even if those players are noobs.

Servers are stacked because of the sale, not the patch.

• Yeah the flaming about the patch is annoying. All the “good men-at-arms” are always saying “I’ll quit playing until they revert the patch.” You know what? The REAL god men-at-arms aren’t crying but learning to play the man-at-arms postpatch. And guess what: They kick ass! All the people that say Man at arms was underpowered now are just too stupid to play it.

• @Peter:

Yeah the flaming about the patch is annoying. All the “good men-at-arms” are always saying “I’ll quit playing until they revert the patch.” You know what? The REAL god men-at-arms aren’t crying but learning to play the man-at-arms postpatch. And guess what: They kick ass! All the people that say Man at arms was underpowered now are just too stupid to play it.

MAA are actually really strong but the reason for this is that mechanics like kiting or CFTP got nerfed/removed.

• i like the new patch better than the old game. i am fairly new with about a month of play time. game is great!

• Servers are stacked because of the sale, not the patch.

Yes, but that’s not the point. The point is what happens after the sale ends. If high number of players will continue to play on a regular basis it’ll confirm if people are playing due to the patch’s changes (i.e. they like the game as it is post-patch).

• @Holy.Death:

Servers are stacked because of the sale, not the patch.

Yes, but that’s not the point. The point is what happens after the sale ends. If high number of players will continue to play on a regular basis it’ll confirm if people are playing due to the patch’s changes (i.e. they like the game as it is post-patch).

Actually if you want to be properly scientifically rigorous about it, player retention after the sale would actually prove absolutely NOTHING, as there are far too many unaccounted variables, correlation doesn’t mean causation etc. blah blah blah

• Then I’d have to ask what would mean the fact that player retention wasn’t all that big in pre-patch version (pre-patch and pre-sales we had about 800 people playing on regular basis). If this time (much) more people will stay then it’ll be a likely explaination that the post-patch was a major factor to this, even if there are some other factors included.

• Every good player in the comp scene hates many parts of the patch and casual players wont understand why. So stop such topics, you dont know what you talk about.

• @KÄPTn:

Every good player in the comp scene hates many parts of the patch and casual players wont understand why. So stop such topics, you dont know what you talk about.

Every good player? Sweeping ignorant claims like that ruin all credibility you have. Every word written after that comment might as well be in invisible text.

You are simply wrong.

The game will thrive without elitists like you. If you don’t like the changes, move on. You will not be missed.