Returning Player

• Ill probably get flamed for this post but whatever. I feel like it should be said.

Im not the most skilled player, and dont really have the desire to become one of the best. Mostly I just like to have some fun and sever some heads. A few months back I gave Chivalry up in frustration due to the “exploits” and clipping issues that were commonly abused by “skilled players”. I just felt like the game was more fun when you played it as it was intended to be played, rather than exploiting weaknesses in the combat mechanics. Unfortunately, playing the game the “correct” way just got you owned a lot, and eventually I got fed up with it.

A friend of mine who also played told me about the changes made in this latest patch, and as a result, ive decided to come back and try it again.

Im posting this because I see a lot of people on here talking about how horrible these changes are and how they are dumbing the game down. I wanted Torn Banner to know that the patch has attracted some previous players back to the game… due entirely to the fact that the mechanics have been tightened up to reduce exploits.

Good job devs… I hope you will keep improving the mechanics like this. This game is awesome when you arent getting invisible overhead hacked or animation canceled to death.

• I’m not sure which techniques qualify as exploits by your definition, but some “weird” techniques are still in use. Thrusts through shields and easy facehug attacks are out, swing manipulation and other tricks are very much in.

• @FrostFire626:

I’m not sure which techniques qualify as exploits by your definition, but some “weird” techniques are still in use. Thrusts through shields and easy facehug attacks are out, swing manipulation and other tricks are very much in.

Yeah I figured as much. I personally have pretty strict rules on what qualifies as an exploit :D… I dont get my panties in a bunch over animation canceling and stuff. I just prefer not to do it myself.

Mostly it boils down to this. If playing the game physically and mentally (and emotionally) drains me due to the pace that I have to maintain to stay competitive… then it isnt very fun to me.

But I know that things like animation canceling and such are pretty much always going to be present. Im just glad that Torn Banner has at least reduced it. Hopefully enough that I wont get fed up with the game again.

Im not a nerd rager… far from it. Ive always been able to blow things off and go about my business. But Chivalry… its the closest ive ever come to a full on nerd rage. I definitely exited out of the game in a huff more than once lol.

• @Damoklese:

Ill probably get flamed for this post but whatever. I feel like it should be said.

Im not the most skilled player, and dont really have the desire to become one of the best. Mostly I just like to have some fun and sever some heads. A few months back I gave Chivalry up in frustration due to the “exploits” and clipping issues that were commonly abused by “skilled players”. I just felt like the game was more fun when you played it as it was intended to be played, rather than exploiting weaknesses in the combat mechanics. Unfortunately, playing the game the “correct” way just got you owned a lot, and eventually I got fed up with it.

Which is why TBS needs to not knee jerk and decide if the game is for clannies (god love them) or for everyone.

If pro mod is successful we can have both.

I know I enjoy it more post patch, though the jury is out on a few changes. Now I want the other stuff fixed, mostly around usability and of course the SDK is important given how fast it seems some people can build maps.

• I am really apprehensive about this ‘promod’. I do not want to see the Chivalry community split, and in Australia and other isolated countries there are hardly enough players to go around multiple mods.

• Is rocket jumping an exploit?

Is Bunny hopping an exploit?

• @Toll:

Is rocket jumping an exploit?

Is Bunny hopping an exploit?

THIS So much this.

• just when u think the game cant get any worse

• Chivalry forums popular enough to have spambots? Haha.

Anyway, the problems that you’ve listed are not what veteran players are upset being removed.
    I don’t speak for everyone but I think it’s safe to say that the majority is in favor of bugfixing and the tightining of some weapon balance.
    The key offender here is that they removed being able to Attack->Combo->Feint (Which cancels your attack)->parry This is called Combo-feint to Parry or CFP
    This manuever I haven’t seen complained about at all in the “casual” community.

Why are people upset about this?
    It limits options in combat and makes fighting multiple opponents a lot more difficult.
    They tried to put a band-aid on it with adding the ability to parry in your weapon swing’s recovery animation for a truck-load of stamina but it doesn’t compare to the level of control you had with CFP and encourages combat to be 1 strike at a time thus slowing it down.
    Fast combat is fun combat so-long as it’s reactable, which it very much was.

• @FrostFire626:

I’m not sure which techniques qualify as exploits by your definition, but some “weird” techniques are still in use. Thrusts through shields and easy facehug attacks are out, swing manipulation and other tricks are very much in.

swing manipulation is intended.

• @Peter:

@FrostFire626:

swing manipulation is intended.

No, it’s devil trick.

• OP is a good guy

• @Alyx:

Chivalry forums popular enough to have spambots? Haha.

Anyway, the problems that you’ve listed are not what veteran players are upset being removed.
    I don’t speak for everyone but I think it’s safe to say that the majority is in favor of bugfixing and the tightining of some weapon balance.
    The key offender here is that they removed being able to Attack->Combo->Feint (Which cancels your attack)->parry This is called Combo-feint to Parry or CFP
    This manuever I haven’t seen complained about at all in the “casual” community.

Why are people upset about this?
    It limits options in combat and makes fighting multiple opponents a lot more difficult.
    They tried to put a band-aid on it with adding the ability to parry in your weapon swing’s recovery animation for a truck-load of stamina but it doesn’t compare to the level of control you had with CFP and encourages combat to be 1 strike at a time thus slowing it down.
    Fast combat is fun combat so-long as it’s reactable, which it very much was.

You have to remember, CFP wasn’t a feature which TB took away from us, it was a glitch / exploit which they fixed.

It’s the same for everyone, so adapt and move on…

• @Nimmer:

You have to remember, CFP wasn’t a feature which TB took away from us, it was a glitch / exploit which they fixed.

I’m sure slygoat said it isn’t exploit though I can’t find the exact post :|

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Nimmer:

He said it to me on Steam. I then copy/pasted that conversation on Reddit a couple months back.

• @bada:

@rumpelstiltskin:

@Nimmer:

He said it to me on Steam. I then copy/pasted that conversation on Reddit a couple months back.

Oh yeah, here it is:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/co … ts/c8w8t55

• agree with OP. game is better now. if pros want to go play promod, go for it, but 4 the love of god, do not have Live revert to prepatch. current game will grow the pop more than old.

• I, for one, welcome our prodigal comrade back into the fold of warriors! You’re not alone in thy views and it’s good to witness this.

If you mean the vanguard’s charge then I’d say it’s either a bug or intended to make it useful ability (not sure which really). The other one is mentioned in the tooltips appearing on the loading screen from time to time.

I am really apprehensive about this ‘promod’. I do not want to see the Chivalry community split, and in Australia and other isolated countries there are hardly enough players to go around multiple mods.

I support the ProMod. I have nothing against pro-players and support their agenda as much good can possibly be achieved by this separation. If everybody keeps to themselves (competetive players will enjoy their version with other like-minded players and standard players will do the same in theirs) then we all won’t be forced to play the version not all of us would like. It’ll also stop hostilities between both groups.

• Another tread, complaining about actual intended game mechanics, by new players not wishing to learn the game.

• @Holy.Death:

I, for one, welcome our prodigal comrade back into the fold of warriors! You’re not alone in thy views and it’s good to witness this.

If you mean the vanguard’s charge then I’d say it’s either a bug or intended to make it useful ability (not sure which really).

LOL. He means rocket jumping from quake. If only vanguards could rocket jump 8-)