Returning Player

• @Alyx:

Chivalry forums popular enough to have spambots? Haha.

Anyway, the problems that you’ve listed are not what veteran players are upset being removed.
    I don’t speak for everyone but I think it’s safe to say that the majority is in favor of bugfixing and the tightining of some weapon balance.
    The key offender here is that they removed being able to Attack->Combo->Feint (Which cancels your attack)->parry This is called Combo-feint to Parry or CFP
    This manuever I haven’t seen complained about at all in the “casual” community.

Why are people upset about this?
    It limits options in combat and makes fighting multiple opponents a lot more difficult.
    They tried to put a band-aid on it with adding the ability to parry in your weapon swing’s recovery animation for a truck-load of stamina but it doesn’t compare to the level of control you had with CFP and encourages combat to be 1 strike at a time thus slowing it down.
    Fast combat is fun combat so-long as it’s reactable, which it very much was.

You have to remember, CFP wasn’t a feature which TB took away from us, it was a glitch / exploit which they fixed.

It’s the same for everyone, so adapt and move on…

• @Nimmer:

You have to remember, CFP wasn’t a feature which TB took away from us, it was a glitch / exploit which they fixed.

I’m sure slygoat said it isn’t exploit though I can’t find the exact post :|

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Nimmer:

He said it to me on Steam. I then copy/pasted that conversation on Reddit a couple months back.

• @bada:

@rumpelstiltskin:

@Nimmer:

He said it to me on Steam. I then copy/pasted that conversation on Reddit a couple months back.

Oh yeah, here it is:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ChivalryGame/co … ts/c8w8t55

• agree with OP. game is better now. if pros want to go play promod, go for it, but 4 the love of god, do not have Live revert to prepatch. current game will grow the pop more than old.

• I, for one, welcome our prodigal comrade back into the fold of warriors! You’re not alone in thy views and it’s good to witness this.

Is rocket jumping an exploit?

If you mean the vanguard’s charge then I’d say it’s either a bug or intended to make it useful ability (not sure which really). The other one is mentioned in the tooltips appearing on the loading screen from time to time.

I am really apprehensive about this ‘promod’. I do not want to see the Chivalry community split, and in Australia and other isolated countries there are hardly enough players to go around multiple mods.

I support the ProMod. I have nothing against pro-players and support their agenda as much good can possibly be achieved by this separation. If everybody keeps to themselves (competetive players will enjoy their version with other like-minded players and standard players will do the same in theirs) then we all won’t be forced to play the version not all of us would like. It’ll also stop hostilities between both groups.

• Another tread, complaining about actual intended game mechanics, by new players not wishing to learn the game.

• @Holy.Death:

I, for one, welcome our prodigal comrade back into the fold of warriors! You’re not alone in thy views and it’s good to witness this.

Is rocket jumping an exploit?

If you mean the vanguard’s charge then I’d say it’s either a bug or intended to make it useful ability (not sure which really).

LOL. He means rocket jumping from quake. If only vanguards could rocket jump 8-)

• @Damoklese:

Ill probably get flamed for this post but whatever. I feel like it should be said.

Im not the most skilled player, and dont really have the desire to become one of the best. Mostly I just like to have some fun and sever some heads. A few months back I gave Chivalry up in frustration due to the “exploits” and clipping issues that were commonly abused by “skilled players”. I just felt like the game was more fun when you played it as it was intended to be played, rather than exploiting weaknesses in the combat mechanics. Unfortunately, playing the game the “correct” way just got you owned a lot, and eventually I got fed up with it.

A friend of mine who also played told me about the changes made in this latest patch, and as a result, ive decided to come back and try it again.

Im posting this because I see a lot of people on here talking about how horrible these changes are and how they are dumbing the game down. I wanted Torn Banner to know that the patch has attracted some previous players back to the game… due entirely to the fact that the mechanics have been tightened up to reduce exploits.

Good job devs… I hope you will keep improving the mechanics like this. This game is awesome when you arent getting invisible overhead hacked or animation canceled to death.

Thansk, pretty much what I wanted to post, I am a returning player also due to the new patch.

• well said. i think it’s playing better since the update as well. the pros will soon have their own mod so everybody should be happy.

• There are a lot of casual players confusing ‘exploit’ with ‘knowing how game mechanics work and using them to your advantage’. There were legitimate, unfair exploits like facehugging making attacks unblockable, broken animations etc and its good that those are being fixed, but shit like combo-feint-parry sure as hell weren’t. They did not give you an unfair advantage. They gave you another combat option through knowing the game, exactly how it should be. Even assuming they were ‘exploits’, they added depth, technical skill and speed to the game. And they certainly were not unbeatable.

Look at Street Fighter or Quake, common high skill ceiling competitive games. Combos in Street Fighter II were a mistake. Considered an exploit by the game developers themselves, but it created a skill barrier and added depth to the game, and every game after contained them as an actual mechanic and it defined the fighting game genre. Bunny hopping in Quake was a physics exploit but once again, it added skill, speed and depth to the game and became a intentional mechanic included in the future games. Rocket jumping was also not intended, but both of these things became common in shooters. The entire basis of competitive Smash Bros. is exploits speeding the game up to comparatively huge levels and creating a need for not only game knowledge but a high level of technical skill and speedy decision making to compete.
    Exploits, not the ‘i’m now under the map and instakilling everyone’ kind, frequently offer greater depth and more interesting gameplay where you really feel like you outplayed the other person. A Chivalry where the only thing you can really do is walk up to someone, press lmb, block, repeat ad nauseum sounds incredibly boring, but that’s what they seem to be going for right now with this patch.

TB clearly wants to appeal to the Call of Duty audience, the people that don’t want to learn how a game works, the kind that like their games to be totally unchallenging so they can look at the pretty colors, the kind of people that have made up rules for what they will and will not use because they consider it ‘cheap’ and ‘unfair’ with no real basis other than ‘I consistently lose to it, therefore it must be OP’, a kind of game that Chivalry simply wasn’t. The game has been flipped upside down because THEY don’t want to learn a game and would rather instantly label things ‘op’ and ‘exploits’. The biggest issue I have with this is that as a video game business model, it works. Appeal to the lowest common denominator and you are rewarded with more sales. Who cares about the game people bought at launch for the game it was at launch? We already have their money. Let’s just change the whole game, they won’t notice. This shit wouldn’t fly in a triple A title, but because this is a niche genre game and TB needs all the sales it can get I’m willing to bet this whole thing will pass over and nobody will even remember it by the end of the year.
    Scrubs win.

• To all the “Pros” posting on this thread. Get over yourselves.

I competed in high level duels almost exclusively before i quit the game. I did just fine too. Your “learn the game” arguments are Bullsh*t. I adopted the tactics needed to compete, because I was forced to. Does that make me more elite than the players who haven’t mastered those tactics? No, it means I played the game a bit more.

Combo Feint parry didnt belong in the game, and doesn’t belong in the game now. Instead of gimmicky tactics, use your footwork and timing to win fights. You can still feint, and adjust swing times with delayed and sped up movements. There is plenty of strat left in the game. In fact, I think there’s MORE strat in the game now without the gimmicks.

The patch was the best thing that happened to this game. Get off your high horse and adapt.

• @scy22:

To all the “Pros” posting on this thread. Get over yourselves.

I competed in high level duels almost exclusively before i quit the game. I did just fine too. Your “learn the game” arguments are Bullsh*t. I adopted the tactics needed to compete, because I was forced to. Does that make me more elite than the players who haven’t mastered those tactics? No, it means I played the game a bit more.

Combo Feint parry didnt belong in the game, and doesn’t belong in the game now. Instead of gimmicky tactics, use your footwork and timing to win fights. You can still feint, and adjust swing times with delayed and sped up movements. There is plenty of strat left in the game. In fact, I think there’s MORE strat in the game now without the gimmicks.

The patch was the best thing that happened to this game. Get off your high horse and adapt.

Alright…
    You’ve got my attention, I’ll bite. I’d like to see you back up your statements. You claim you handled high level dueling, and you praise everything that counter high level dueling. Come duel with me and we’ll see if you know what you’re talking about.
    edit: I eagerly await your response.**

• @bada:

@scy22:

Alright…
    You’ve got my attention, I’ll bite. I’d like to see you back up your statements. You claim you handled high level dueling, and you praise everything that counter high level dueling. Come duel with me and we’ll see if you know what you’re talking about.

Don’t worry about them whips. Soon the promod will come and we will leave them behind to play their bootlegged chivalry. Divide the community and conquer both games!!! I’m always at the top in duel and all.

• Don’t worry about them whips. Soon the promod will come and we will leave them behind to play their bootlegged chivalry.

And what is this comment supposed to achieve? You will have your own version, good, but why throw trash at the other people who enjoy something different?

• @bada:

@scy22:

Alright…

Why would I engage your straw man?

If i were to win that duel would you protest vehemently against such things as Promod? Would you recant all the negativity directed at the latest patch? Would you indeed change your views entirely on the subject?

No, you wouldn’t.

There’s nothing in that duel for me to win, aside from petty bragging rights. But if you won, you would claim it as irrefutable proof backing your erroneous claim. You are a walking fallacy.

Puff out your e-chest, and peacock around your imagined throne room in your mother’s basement. Or grow up.

• @scy22:

Why would I engage your straw man?

If i were to win that duel would you protest vehemently against such things as Promod? Would you recant all the negativity directed at the latest patch? Would you indeed change your views entirely on the subject?

No, you wouldn’t.

There’s nothing in that duel for me to win, aside from petty bragging rights. But if you won, you would claim it as irrefutable proof backing your erroneous claim. You are a walking fallacy.

Puff out your e-chest, and peacock around your imagined throne room in your mother’s basement. Or grow up.

To quote a wise man…

“Your ego is writing checks your butt can’t cash.”

It’s not a strawman. If you won, you have the bragging rights and more power to your argument.

• Sorry to butt in but how would winning a duel with you strengthen his argument? No one is going to care if you beat (insert any random forum user) in a duel. The only person that would possibly be swayed by him beating you would be you… because you, like most elitists, think you are awesome. So having someone beat you in a duel, while it may make you question your stance on this subject (unlikely, but lets pretend), it would do jack-all to change the other naysayer’s stance on the subject.

He would have to beat everyone in a duel… and even then, most people would say the sun was in their eyes.

I guess my point is that no amount of flailing around at each other is going to change a significant portion of the community’s opinion.

• @Damoklese:

Sorry to butt in but how would winning a duel with you strengthen his argument? No one is going to care if you beat (insert any random forum user) in a duel. The only person that would possibly be swayed by him beating you would be you… because you, like most elitists, think you are awesome. So having someone beat you in a duel, while it may make you question your stance on this subject (unlikely, but lets pretend), it would do jack-all to change the other naysayer’s stance on the subject.

He would have to beat everyone in a duel… and even then, most people would say the sun was in their eyes.

I guess my point is that no amount of flailing around at each other is going to change a significant portion of the community’s opinion.

This man has a grasp on logic.

Yes, it is a straw man. And no, winning that duel would give no power to my argument. My argument wins based on your argument’s lack of substance.

• @Daedolon:

There were legitimate, unfair exploits like facehugging making attacks unblockable, broken animations etc and its good that those are being fixed, but shit like combo-feint-parry sure as hell weren’t. They did not give you an unfair advantage.

Neither does running around in a circle slaughtering noobs. But I don’t like it to do it. Well unless my team is losing haha.

Combo-feint has reduced the running back and forth combo-look-down, which I do not miss.

But if after 2 weeks our community numbers fall back to pre-sale level then sure I will support its return as something that made no difference to new player retention. It doesn’t really bother me that much.