[WEP] How best to use the QuarterStaff?

• I love this weapon, I love it so much that I choose to use it despite the obviously better options. I see people use it every now and again but they are never any more successful than I am with it. Which is my problem, I can’t seem to master this weapon.

Stat wise, it’s slower than some standard one-handers so often time I find myself losing to them often, however against 2-handed users I find that the animation of the staff takes them by surprise. But I’m never as good as if I were to use a regular one-hander and shield. So I would like to know, if there are others like me who choose the QuarterStaff over the standard MAA loadout?

I would love ANY advice, and I’ll try just about anything. And if you have the time, I have three questions about the QuarterStaff:

1. How did the designers intend it to be used? (Was it meant to take on multiple opponents, used in duels, support, or is it just a novelty, gimmicky weapon for laughs?)
    2. Does it have any advantage over any other MAA Weapon? (Stat-wise, it is inferior to most other weapons. It takes multiple strikes to take down an enemy and is not as fast or has as much reach as some of the other choices.)
    3. Will there be any changes made to this weapon anytime soon(nerf/buff?)

• Best way is not to use it.

• Pretty sure the poke has the biggest range out of any of the MAA weapons, but the poke doesn’t do much damage.

It’s really not bad against vanguards. I find myself using it against vanguards more than the Morning Star now.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Pretty sure the poke has the biggest range out of any of the MAA weapons, but the poke doesn’t do much damage.

It’s really not bad against vanguards. I find myself using it against vanguards more than the Morning Star now.

Would you use it in a serious scrim?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Would you use it in a serious scrim?

Probably. I had the opportunity to use it last scrim I was in, but I forgot about it and used Morning Star instead, because they were vanguard heavy (still getting used to the patch).

Don’t forget how powerful 2-hand flinch is now, and this is the only 2 hand weapon for MAA.

• I have moderate success with it, unless I’m against other high level players (48+).

I find that to get any mileage out of it you really need be fairly consistent with hitting heads.

The poke attack is definitely the strongest lead in attack because of the range and decent speed. If you are close enough the overhead is a useful lead in also.

It is a hard weapon for your opponent to judge which way you are attacking with during combo’s. Doing single hit alt-LMB can catch people off guard.

Generally you need to land the first hit and start your combo’s if he blocks even one of them, you are best backing off and getting ready to land that poke again.

The poke is also pretty good for dragging and naturally aims around head height.

It is not a weapon to kill opponents quickly, you need to whittle them down.

Also it seems that it uses little stamina, so you can try and win your fights through stamina management.

• I get huge success rates with this on Duel and FFA because people don’t use it so people don’t really know how to counter it that well. I wouldn’t advise it for TO, KOTH or any team gamemodes where players stick together and help each other as it isn’t effective in situations where more than 2 people are attacking you.

I find its best to start the fight with a poke and interrupt their attacks often as possible with this as very few weapons can wind up first, so far I’ve only had difficulty interrupting the Hatchet and Daggers but they both have much . Better to keep hitting their block as usually they will run out of stamina first and most don’t riposte, if they do then you still have a very good chance to parry.If you think it will be beneficial then riposte regularly but definitely don’t

TARGET KNIGHTS! Due to their general slowness and medium range weapons they are easy, predictable fights and i can often kill them without them completing a swing. Just as they start to swing i use poke and interrupt then follow with overhead if possible.

Vanguards are the hardest to kill, especially if they they are using the Zwei or Claymore. The Claymore is dangerous due to its high speed but as long as you step forward and interrupt their next attack at the right time then you should be OK, also blocking the Claymore isn’t too stamina costly so you might be able to riposte and start a combo. If you think they are going to attack you then attack them with poke first but be careful trying to attack them during their windup.

Anybody who isn’t LMB spamming with the Zwei is harder to deal with and your best bet is to just wait until a large opportunity presents itself. If they do a double LMB swing combo then they are pretty open to an attack but beware of an overhead. Use terrain to your advantage.

Be unpredictable, go defensive for a bit then then poke them in the face while on the backpedal. If you keep doing different stuff, even if you get parried often you will still catch them off-guard pretty regularly.

I wouldn’t advise dodging unless it’s life or death because you may need that stamina when blocking heavier blows, especially since you can’t lunge attack now.

I really hope they don’t buff or nerf it because I find it perfect to use as it is.

• Thanks for the advice fellas! I’ll definitely try poking more and be a little more unpredictable. The way I see it now, you guys are saying I should play it more defensively and strike when given a good opportunity, which has worked out well but I do usually find myself backing into a wall or other object and dying before I could back dodge. That’s probably just my low situation-awareness though and I’ll get to work on that asap.

So now I’d like to know if anyone has any advice on taking on high level opponents or just aggressive opponents in general. I find that I DO eventually back into a wall when a vanguard or a knight just keeps swinging their weapons and charging when I attack, it only interrupts SOME of the times. Other times I end up losing a head or we end up exchanging blows(his obviously more painful than mine).

So does anyone know how interrupting weapon swing works? Someone told me that it must be a head strike, others told me that it’s just the first hit they take in a while. Does anyone know for sure how it works? Thanks again!

• @OddOstrich:

So now I’d like to know if anyone has any advice on taking on high level opponents or just aggressive opponents in general. I find that I DO eventually back into a wall when a vanguard or a knight just keeps swinging their weapons and charging when I attack,

It’s a state of mind. Don’t let it happen. Every time you successfully block, you have initiation, assuming you are still in range.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Best way is not to use it.

this

switch to your secondary. fails, quarterstaff hardly worth it.

at least sling is fun now.

• Vsing High level people you have to understand you are using an inferior weapon as such you are making it much harder for yourself. If you can’t hold your own against these people with a good weapon, than your QS is probably not going to help.

However it is fun.

A really good tactic to use is to get into a pattern where you attack, they parry->riposte, you parry->riposte,they parry->riposte, you parry WAIT 100ms, then attack. Hopefully they have thrown their parry up due to the pattern, in which case you attack will hit and usually take them off guard so hopefully a 2nd combo will get them too.

Use feints. Don’t listen to people who cry over feints. You are using an inferior weapon after all. Use them.

The Alt attack is tricky to see coming if you haven’t versed QS much, us it.

You HAVE to use footwork well, you should be stepping to their sides as you do your LMB and overhead attacks. Pokes should almost always aim for the head, it is fairly easy to land a head poke due to the natural aim of the poke being about head height.

You really have to use all the mechanics available to you to get the most out of the Quarter Staff.

I would really like to see a Heavy Quarter Staff added which is primed for more damage at the cost of increased stamina usage, keeping a fast low damage poke.

• Woot kept up using a quarterstaff in FFA vs a good player using Claymore. Took a bit of sweet, sweet poking.

• @Toll:

Woot kept up using a quarterstaff in FFA vs a good player using Claymore. Took a bit of sweet, sweet poking.

Takes the same amount of hits with QS as it does with morning star, assuming you initiate with a MS poke.

As for weapon synergies, it doesn’t seem there are many.

The other nice thing about QS is how your recovery animation for half your attacks looks like you are combo-ing. So it’s like you are feinting without a stamina cost! In addition, the longer flinch time makes doing this fairly safe.

The stab -> overhead combo on this weapon is extremely fast, due to being easier to hit at the end of your stab release. Good range for initiation, too. Definitely is starting to be one of my go-to weapons against vanguards.

The horizontals don’t seem to be that good.

Facts: 3 shots Knights with 3 overheads (needs 1 headshot).
    3 shots Knights with stab and double overhead (needs 2 headshots).

3 shots vanguards with stab and 2 overheads
    2 stabs and an overhead bring a vanguard down to 1 HP (so land a headshot)

It takes about the same amount of hits to kill archers and MAAs, unfortunately, but at least it has weaknesses. Still a strong support weapon due to the range of the poke, the speed, and the 2Hand flinch time.

• Support? Pfft this a Primary! :D

I’m in love with the Quarterstaff again. I was using it in Duel mode recently and this guy was crying about it being OP. :/

The LMB (and alt-LMB) attacks do certainly have their place, they are particularly useful on archers and MAA trying to facehug you.

I also find that I have plenty of Stamina after many fights. It must be due to it being a 2hander. I can often out stamina a vanguard or knight during a fight.
    The Riposte->stab is really, really useful. It is also dragable yay.

Throwing in a jump with your stab/overhead at facehug range can be quite effective too.

The animations on it must surly be its strongest point, they are really hard to read. MUhahahahah!

• @Toll:

I’m in love with the Quarterstaff again. I was using it in Duel mode recently and this guy was crying about it being OP. :/

Yeah, i’ve been using it in duels lately too… I love it.

Obviously against someone like a MAA, a sword is more effective, but a lot of MAAs get caught off guard by the following:

You can trade hits with a quarterstaff, and you still have the initiative, thanks to the longer flinch time your weapon does. Many times, someone will try to attack again with a sword after a hit trade and I just giggle inside.

• The poke is brilliant, for those wondering, it should be making up at least 50% of your attacks with a Quarterstaff, perhaps even as high as 65%, with overheads at 25-35% and slashes about 5-10%.

Don’t forget to use your kicks as well, a well placed jump-kick can put you into a nice position to use your Quarterstaff best. A good surprising tactic is to initiate with a jump-kick and follow it up with a face poke.

Use feints! gumby attack animation + feints = a poor time for your opponent.

• @Toll:

Use feints! gumby attack animation + feints = a poor time for your opponent.

You can also decide not to use a feint.

The overhead and swing recovery animations have a pretty convincing “combo animation”.

So mixing up feints with nons will be very confusing.

• I just got out of a scrim with the QS with very favorable results.

If you ever get the jump on a vanguard, they’re as good as dead. Excellent against knights too, and good support against lighter classes.

• QS feels like its got the speed of a dagger and the combo’s are pretty quick as well.

Something very appealing about beating a knight in full plate armour with a wooden 2x4.

• @DokB:

wooden (2x4)*3.14.