Maul Opinions

• Hey, so I was just wondering about everyone’s opinions on the maul now. While I am happy it got buffed, as there was little distinguishing it from the grand mace or reason to take it over said weapon, I am not certain how I feel about OHK on Knights. It seems odd to be able to OHK the most tanky class in the game, when the maul is slow, sure, but not that slow. Especially with the new stamina and flinch changes, I am not certain exactly what I think of it.

How about everyone else? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it got buffed as it was a little too hard to do well with it prior, but I don’t know how I feel about OH killing knights, is all. Your thoughts?

• @SHH_:

Snip.

The Maul definitely needed a buff since it wasn’t really that viable against better users of other weapons pre-patch. The problem now is imo. that the OHK on Knights is incredibly strong in teamfights. Last week I was playing in a 8v8 TO Pug where TPL Tom used the Maul and it was actually really good at dealing those support hits. He churned through Knights like were they butter and with just a few feints it became a really good weapon.

That said, I’m not exactly sure. The weapon is still really slow and requires a lot of skill to use. After all Tom is a good player so it’s no surprise. Personally I’d rather that it had more speed and a little less damage. Would make it better against multiple opponents too.

• @StillAlive:

[

That said, I’m not exactly sure. The weapon is still really slow and requires a lot of skill to use. After all Tom is a good player so it’s no surprise. Personally I’d rather that it had more speed and a little less damage. Would make it better against multiple opponents too.

Kind of my thoughts as well with the speed vs. damage. Especially with latency, desyncs, and ghost swings, it can be frustrating to get one-hit killed playing as the tankiest class in the game.

• @StillAlive:

@SHH_:

Snip.

The Maul definitely needed a buff since it wasn’t really that viable against better users of other weapons pre-patch. The problem now is imo. that the OHK on Knights is incredibly strong in teamfights. Last week I was playing in a 8v8 TO Pug where TPL Tom used the Maul and it was actually really good at dealing those support hits. He churned through Knights like were they butter and with just a few feints it became a really good weapon.

As a competitive mauler I still don’t think it is viable over the grand mace because of it being so slow and it’s one hander reach. It does one hit Vgs and knights to the head but because of the speed and reach it is forced to be a support weapon and even then it’s not the easiest thing to have to support your teammates with such little reach and sometimes if either you or your teammate isn’t careful he’ll take a maul to the back, which is obviously not a good thing. Similar to how the spear is crippled in how it can’t combo that makes it have to be a support weapon the maul is crippled by its speed and reach that make it have to be a support weapon. I can duel quite well with a maul against someone who is very experienced but has never dueled someone who is good with a maul before but against someone that knows how to deal with my maul shinanigans, even if we have the same skill, I stand no chance in a duel. I know the game is not balanced on duels but basically now it’s just a pretty decent support weapon if used well, which isn’t very easy at all compared to other weapons you could use.

• @SHH_:

@StillAlive:

[

Kind of my thoughts as well with the speed vs. damage. Especially with latency, desyncs, and ghost swings, it can be frustrating to get one-hit killed playing as the tankiest class in the game.

No, I don’t agree with this. The maul is special in te way that it’s supposed to be extremely powerful, very slow and very short. Also, the maul buff is just realistic too.

• Mauls are anti-head. Life tip: if you have a head, keep it away from mauls.

• It is true that I haven’t had much success with face-parrying mauls thus far.

• @SHH_:

Hey, so I was just wondering about everyone’s opinions on the maul now. While I am happy it got buffed, as there was little distinguishing it from the grand mace or reason to take it over said weapon, I am not certain how I feel about OHK on Knights. It seems odd to be able to OHK the most tanky class in the game, when the maul is slow, sure, but not that slow. Especially with the new stamina and flinch changes, I am not certain exactly what I think of it.

How about everyone else? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it got buffed as it was a little too hard to do well with it prior, but I don’t know how I feel about OH killing knights, is all. Your thoughts?

It IS a little too hard to do well with it. Nothing has changed except +7dmg for overhead ( which is enough to onehit knight instead of almost onehitting them) and i think -0,1seconds on slash and OH windup?

Maul is my weapon of choice since months and it doesnt feel that much better now - i dont get better k/d now, for example. It’s just the knights whining about getting oneshot from time to time (it really doesn’t happen a lot in my experience).

edit: i totally would trade the ability of oneshot Knights to the head for the ability of oneshot MaA to the body AGAIN.

• @NIB:

@SHH_:

Hey, so I was just wondering about everyone’s opinions on the maul now. While I am happy it got buffed, as there was little distinguishing it from the grand mace or reason to take it over said weapon, I am not certain how I feel about OHK on Knights. It seems odd to be able to OHK the most tanky class in the game, when the maul is slow, sure, but not that slow. Especially with the new stamina and flinch changes, I am not certain exactly what I think of it.

It IS a little too hard to do well with it. Nothing has changed except +7dmg for overhead ( which is enough to onehit knight instead of almost onehitting them) and i think -0,1seconds on slash and OH windup?

Maul is my weapon of choice since months and it doesnt feel that much better now - i dont get better k/d now, for example. It’s just the knights whining about getting oneshot from time to time (it really doesn’t happen a lot in my experience).

edit: i totally would trade the ability of oneshot Knights to the head for the ability of oneshot MaA to the body AGAIN.

Nooo one shotting knights is really the best privilege you can have, no other melee weapon can one shot knights! No other melee weapon can one shot maa to the body either but one shotting knights is much better. And that wasn’t the only thing changed, the slash is now faster than the OH finally. They made the slash windup .65 from .7.