The High Ground Advantage

• Rather, in Chivalry, it’s the opposite. In Chivalry, being below your target is always better, because you can duck low enough where even a zweihander has a hard time reaching you. Not only that, but to effectively engage a target below you, using a stab is much better than an overhead or a slash, and stabs do less damage than an overhead, which the target below you will most likely be using (which is also already accelerated due to your position to it!)

My suggestion:
    1. Targets on inclines need to be moving slightly slower, you shouldn’t be hauling your ass up inclines as fast as if you were on flat ground, and like-wise you shouldn’t be descending inclines much the same way. <- edit: This suggestion, in retrospect, might make combat on inclines needlessly painful, so I’m looking for other better input here.

2. Jumping on top of another player, currently puts you at a disadvantage because the target below you can easily hit you with an overhead strike. If a knight drops on your head, he should have a huge advantage, and not the other way around. I would like it if TBS looked into alternatives to the current head bouncing that happens. Perhaps a knockdown on the target, or a mild stun + knockback? <- edit: Flinch + small push back effect would do excellently, without being too powerful.

• There are actually some pros attacking uphill. Indeed you are moving much slower uphill, and if it’s muddy and you are wearing the typical footwear for the medieval times, then it’s a pretty slippery slope. But you do have the advantage of stabbing people’s legs, while they can’t reach yours.

I agree, you should be moving slower uphill and faster downhill. I also think that when you jump ontop of people, like from a ledge or a ruin to overhead some enemy unaware below, that you won’t slide off him and land 5 metres away from him. You should stumble him, take some damage off of him, and if he’s at low health, the blunt weapon head crush animation would be a nice death for him.

• Can you imagine that in Ruins?

I, as an archer, drop down from a platform onto a knight. The knight is stunned. I stab him repeatedly, using my backstab bonus.

He is dead.

That would be cool, but I doubt it would be implemented.

• I’m sure they could find some way to make a little balance but any kind of stun implemented would be spectacular just because or even just an interesting animation or I don’t know something worthwhile

• If you are uphill you can leap on top of their head, bounce behind them, do a look up overhead and kill him with the maul.

In theory.

• @gregcau:

If you are uphill you can leap on top of their head, bounce behind them, do a look up overhead and kill him with the maul.

In theory.

but what will likely happen is you bounce on their head and they give you an overhand strike to the legs and might even bounce you into a corner if they’re good at it.

@Carolean:

Can you imagine that in Ruins?

I, as an archer, drop down from a platform onto a knight. The knight is stunned. I stab him repeatedly, using my backstab bonus.

He is dead.

That would be cool, but I doubt it would be implemented.

I’m not asking for a 2 second stun such as the kick stun, just something that puts my feet on the ground versus me bouncing helplessly in the air. I’ve had players intentionally wait for me to drop down so they could run underneath me and start overheading at me as I’m helplessly bouncing around. I just want something that either: neutralizes the situation, allowing me to quickly descend onto a target, or something that gives a slight advantage such as a .5 second flinch + small knockback (so our meshes aren’t interlocked).

Of course it shouldn’t be unbalanced, but any tweak is greater than head bouncing or crowd surfing, which happens currently for falling on someone.

@SavageBeatings:

You should stumble him, take some damage off of him, and if he’s at low health, the blunt weapon head crush animation would be a nice death for him.

1000x this ^

• @Gauntlet:

@gregcau:

If you are uphill you can leap on top of their head, bounce behind them, do a look up overhead and kill him with the maul.

In theory.

but what will likely happen is you bounce on their head and they give you an overhand strike to the legs and might even bounce you into a corner if they’re good at it.

theory and practice rarely meet head to head.

• @gregcau:

@Gauntlet:

@gregcau:

In theory.

theory and practice rarely meet head to head.

What did you change your sig to by the way (before moderator intervention)? Yes, I’m making an off topic response ;)

• @Gauntlet:

What did you change your sig to by the way (before moderator intervention)? Yes, I’m making an off topic response ;)

lol, I am generally a very silly funny guy who makes fun of myself.

anyway I said in another thread I would change my sig if my emblem (thanks BB) did not get posted.

so it didnt get accepted, sig changed, but mod changed it to rabbits.

didnt have a copy of my sword girls so had to revert to backup.

lol its fine, its the internet.

• @gregcau:

so it didnt get accepted, sig changed, but mod changed it to rabbits.

bahahaha nice

• The part with acceleration/Deceleration sounds interesting. Currently, there is hardly any reason you ever want to fight downhill.

Regarding the drop-down part, probably the damage of a fist-stab plus a flinch would be enough… It would be pretty cool however if drop damage was related to drop height. For example, the target takes the drop damage you would have taken if you would have hit the ground. Further, maybe heavier classes could do more damage by falling… maybe countered by also taking more damage from falling as well. This way the jumpdown tactic had a real risk and reward correlation without giving the fast and swift classes too much of an advantage.

On the negative side, the victim would probably feel he got goomba-stomped in a Medieval fighting game.

• @Don_Kanaille:

On the negative side, the victim would probably feel he got goomba-stomped in a Medieval fighting game.

In a game where being punched can cause your head to explode, a sword can cut through people like a warm knife through butter, and you can be stabbed to death by the blunt side of a hatchet, I don’t think having your head being stomped for minimal damage and a flinch would be too much to ask for >:D

• ^ and those things happen while fully armoured!