Why does the knight no longer have a sword valid for comp?

• Just wondering. It seems all three of the Knights swords are no longer valid for comp play. Longsword and SoW now take to many hits to kill van/knights and the messer is just plain slow. Mine as well use the maul if you are using some thing that slow. Point is, I like chivalry because I like swords. I’ve always liked swords. Why can’t the knight have a sword for comp play anymore? Just frustrated that the maul/double axe or bearded axe are really the only three valid Knight weapons now.

• LS/SoW/Messer are still completely viable for competitive play.

• The Longsword will kill a Knight in 3 hits in a variety of way.
    3 overheads to the torso will kill
    1 overheads and 2 stabs to the torso will kill
    1 Overhead head hit and 2 torso hit of anything will kill

There are more 3 hit kills in there as well. Really, if you are playing comp and cant land a majority of your hits to the torso at least then perhaps you need more practice. Of the 3 hits to a knight, you should be able to land 1 head hit in there somewhere to largely expand the combination of hits required to kill a knight with 3 hits.

So they are viable on a HTK basis and can be used just fine.

• But why would I use a sword that takes three (some times four if you can’t land a head/upper torso) hits to kill a knight/van when I could use the maul and one shot everyone?

• All knight swords are pretty decent.

but why use swords?

Decent speed and good reach.

• @Thine:

But why would I use a sword that takes three (some times four if you can’t land a head/upper torso) hits to kill a knight/van when I could use the maul and one shot everyone?

Good luck hitting any competent player with the maul.

• When you compare the speed of the LS and SOW to other knight two handers they’re actually quite fast tbh. The longsword also has the most reach overall out of any knight weapon and it’s slightly sliwer than the SOW and the SOW sacrifices some reach for some speed. The knight swords are still fast, long and flexible weapons except now they actually have one real downside, that is damage. Thine, have you ever played in one team practice, a scrim with another team or anything using the swords? I have and I have definately noticed how the swords are prefectly viable in team play. Lemme know when you’re done qqing about nonsense because you can’t handle change.

• @Alyx:

@Thine Waffle:

But why would I use a sword that takes three (some times four if you can’t land a head/upper torso) hits to kill a knight/van when I could use the maul and one shot everyone?

Good luck hitting any competent player with the maul.

The maul is a support weapon because of it’s horrific speed and reach too so arguing anout using a maul over a knight swords is really dumb. The knight swords as of now are still better weapons than the maul and you’re hearing this from a conpetitive mauler. Yeah, I can duel well with a maul but that’s because almost everyone I duel has never dueled a good mauler before because no ons uses it in duels because it’s terrible on it’s own. When I fight someone of equal skill to mine that knows how to deal with my mauling shinaningans but using a LS or SOW I get destroyed by them and you really can’t have more than one mauler on your team at one time. Any more is just a wasted knight where as you can easily run 4 knights with one weapon, say, 4 longswords and it works but if you went 4 mauls it would be a train wreck and not in a good way.

• The messer I find is pretty much the only primary sword worthwhile using for the knight. I’m sure there are a few people out there who are nasty with the LS and SoW, but post patch I like how controllable the messer feels during strikes. You can drag it around very easily and efficiently, it’s got a nice and quick overhead for backwards OH, and it one hits archers + can two hit knights. The only downside to it is the range can be hard to judge for it and it can be a little too slow against some faster weapons.

• @Kim:

The messer I find is pretty much the only primary sword worthwhile using for the knight. I’m sure there are a few people out there who are nasty with the LS and SoW, but post patch I like how controllable the messer feels during strikes. You can drag it around very easily and efficiently, it’s got a nice and quick overhead for backwards OH, and it one hits archers + can two hit knights. The only downside to it is the range can be hard to judge for it and it can be a little too slow against some faster weapons.

The LS can do everything you mentioned up there except 2 hit knights but the LS is wayyy longer anyways. The SOW can too except the part about drags an one hitting archers with an OH head hit.

• The Messar has much better dragging potential than the Longsword at the cost of reach.

• The messer is only slightly better at dragging slashes, the OH release on the LS and messer are exactly the same, thus the same draggability.

• @Alyx:

LS/SoW/Messer are still completely viable for competitive play.

• All three Bastad swords are basically the best overall weapon in the game, can’t change anything about it without making it so broke that some other weapon with take that title, don’t think Poleaxe is too far off that, its very versatile.

• @wildwulfy:

All three Bastad swords are basically the best overall weapon in the game, can’t change anything about it without making it so broke that some other weapon with take that title, don’t think Poleaxe is too far off that, its very versatile.

At least Pole-axe has a weakness… Speed.

• @Thine:

Why does the knight no longer have an over powered sword?

To make the other weapons viable

• @gregcau:

@Thine:

Why does the knight no longer have an over powered sword?

To make the other weapons viable

+1

I love the changes to the swords, and I’m an ex SoW user.

I switch between pole axe, messer and longsword now. It’s great to mix it up.

• @Nimmer:

I love the changes to the swords, and I’m an ex SoW user.

I guess pre-patch 80% of the knight-players where SoW-users because it was so damn op.

• They do! Have you tried the longsword, sword of war, or messer? They’re pretty good. His other swords are kind of short, though.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@wildwulfy:

All three Bastad swords are basically the best overall weapon in the game, can’t change anything about it without making it so broke that some other weapon with take that title, don’t think Poleaxe is too far off that, its very versatile.

At least Pole-axe has a weakness… Speed.

Poleaxe has more weaknesses than that. You can’t drag it because of it’s super short releases(.5). Also, the poleaxe isn’t as powerful as you think it is, only a double OH will 2 hit kill a knight with no head hits which is problematic because normally when I use the poleaxe I lead off with a stab(I’m an ex poleaxe user). Another thing is against vanguards, MaA, and archers it had the exact same HTK as the pre patch LS and SOW only it’s wayyy slower. Finally, the poleaxe has a really crappy LMB attack, it can’t even 2 hit vanguards with no head hits because it does the exact same damage as the war axe LMB and it’s undraggable like all the poleaxe’s attacks. Just like on a maul, no reason to slash unless you’re coming up behind a very wounded enemy and you’re too lazy to use your mouse wheel.

Now compare all those weaknesses to the pre patch LS an SOW… not OP? What? No.