Vanguard Knockback

• Vanguard knockback needs to be toned down a bit. Yes, it is a nice touch to have the vanguard weapons (which should theoretically hit with a large amount of force) actually knock players back. It helps vanguards maintain their range, and can even be used to humorous effect on bridges and the like. However, in my opinion, it needs to be slightly reduced across the board or different classes should have different resistances i.e. (a knight should not go back as far when blocking a vanguard weapon as an archer or maa with a 1h weapon).

For example, with the brandistock, you almost don’t even need to feint or even have good footwork, not that it doesn’t help, of course. But for the most part, you can simply backpedal and mouse wheel down stab. If they try to feint to close the distance after parrying, you can simply use the now lighting fast slash attack or the also incredibly fast mouse wheel up stab.

There are also odd occurrences with elevation, whereby, you will literally go flying multiple feet simply after parrying a vanguard weapon, even if you have a fair amount of momentum built up.

At least in my opinion, I think the knockback should be toned down slightly. I think it is a nice touch, and certainly, the vanguard needed it. However, it is a bit much at the moment.

How does everyone else feel about the knockback? Is it perfect where it is? Should it be greater? Should it be much less? Im genuinely curious how others feel about this.

• Vanguard is finally viable, lets not start with the nerfs now.

• @gregcau:

Vanguard is finally viable, lets not start with the nerfs now.

Yes, like I said, I’m happy vanguards got buffed such that they don’t feel the need to dance around the battlefield anymore. However, there are certain aspects which may be slightly overbuffed, i.e. claymore, spears possibly and knockback possibly, not sure how others feel about it.

• Some of the longer reaching weapons like halberd and zwei might have a bit too much knockback. It was toned down for spears in the beta after it was increased for all VG weapons, but might still be too high for them as well.

• @SlyGoat:

Some of the longer reaching weapons like halberd and zwei might have a bit too much knockback. It was toned down for spears in the beta after it was increased for all VG weapons, but might still be too high for them as well.

Ahh good to hear, just wanted to make sure it was on your to-do list, haha. I like the idea, but I think it is a bit too much at the moment.

• Definitely needs to be toned down a bit. Vanguards are more than viable without that massive knockback.

• @SlyGoat:

Some of the longer reaching weapons like halberd and zwei might have a bit too much knockback. It was toned down for spears in the beta after it was increased for all VG weapons, but might still be too high for them as well.

Definitely for the brandistock, lol

• as an archer i can’t seem to get close enough to engage sometimes, ill get knocked back before im range until he dazes me from being out stam

• I am conflicted about to knock back. I don’t actually think it’s good enough, yet I did see some weapons do insane knock back. I play gs and half of the time knock back does not even work, could it be cause of slight ground elevation or a glitch, I don’t know. I fought maa who used shield and blocked my gs without getting any knock backs at all. It does not even do much when it works, when I fight knights with broad sword or bs and they get knocked back and then just make one step forward and stab, it still hits me. Now, I don’t mean that knock back should make it impossible to get to you, that would be dumb. Yet it feels kinda funny that a one handed weapon can still hit you that easily after being knocked back. Sure you can jump back or turn around and run back but thats again makes it so vanguard takes more effort to do what they made for than any other class.
    I did see some crazy knock back on spear though, but that does not seem to work all the time either. I seen spear vanguard lmb someone way out of range with knock back. Though when I fight spear vanguards and block, they don’t seem to do that much of a knock back to me since I am able to close in the distance and attack them from close before they can even throw any other attack.

• Quite honestly, all Vanguards got with every new patch (except this last one), were detrimental changes to their arsenal.This is the very first time I see vanguards actually getting a much needed buff.
    This pushback allows for VGs to keep the enemy away, something is very needed in order to not get faced hugged and raped by the quicker folks.
    Everyone knows how easy it is to kill a vanguard from close, so at least continue to allow them to distance themselves from the enemy properly.
    I do agree that on hills, the pushback can be a bit excessive, so maybe change that aspect of it.

• @foob:

Quite honestly, all Vanguards got with every new patch (except this last one), were detrimental changes to their arsenal.This is the very first time I see vanguards actually getting a much needed buff.
    This pushback allows for VGs to keep the enemy away, something is very needed in order to not get faced hugged and raped by the quicker folks.
    Everyone knows how easy it is to kill a vanguard from close, so at least continue to allow them to distance themselves from the enemy properly.
    I do agree that on hills, the pushback can be a bit excessive, so maybe change that aspect of it.

It is too much at the moment. It basically means you can just stab, stab, and stab. No need for feinting or strafing, just backpedal and stab. Mix in a few of the overhead stabs, which are now too fast in my opinion, and the recently buffed LMB and spears are a bit broken at the moment.

• I understand where you are coming from with some of the attacks being a bit too fast, but that seems to be the case with almost every weapon now. I suggest you try playing polearm and just backpedal and stab without strafing or feinting. Now, with the new spears you can do that a bit more effectively so I will agree with you on that, not the polearms though.

• @foob:

I understand where you are coming from with some of the attacks being a bit too fast, but that seems to be the case with almost every weapon now. I suggest you try playing polearm and just backpedal and stab without strafing or feinting. Now, with the new spears you can do that a bit more effectively so I will agree with you on that, not the polearms though.

Yah, I was referring to the spear line for that specific strategy. The polearms have a bit too much knockback, but they cant simply backpedal and stab as easily. The polehammer needs some work, but the polearms are pretty ok balance wise.

I am not saying take away the knockback, but it would be nice if it was toned down for all the weapons a bit.

• Yeah, you are right my friend, I just think that one of the big reasons for this pushback increase is to keep MAAs and Archers from getting inside your bubble too quickly. I can’t count the amount of times pesky MAA and Archers just charge at me, needing to parry their way in once. :|

• I agree that the knockback on the pokey pokey weapons is currently too much.

It’s a good feature, I think it just needs toned down a little bit. It’s good to hear TB are aware of it though ;-)

• Give them the knock back on stabs, polearm and spear swings Gove too much distance for a no skill to hit lamb.

Swords can keep their lamb knockback bcuz that’s how they ought to be used.