First Impressions

• Hey Forum Guys and Girls.
    Im here to let you know my first Impressions of the game.
    I discovered Chivalry through a video on youtube that a friend sent me, a montage of various bugs and funny accidents.

What made me laugh the most was the voice acting.

Now, last weekend, the game went on Steam-Sale (-66%) and i used my last money to buy it together with a friend.
    We had fun in our first few matches as archers, just spamming arrows and dying.

After this first funny games, i tried to play solo to get better at the game mechanics.

Thats where it started to go downhill.

The forum here told me that the best way to sharpen your fighting skills is to play on a duel server, so i joined one and startet to battle.

Won my first games, but then some veteran just stomped me with some tactics which i didnt know how to handle.
    The frustration grew bigger and bigger, and he finally told me to play TO first to get better, cause Duel Servers are mostly used by veterans.

I followed his advice, playing only the game mode with the corpse wagon and the bomb.
    In this games, i NEVER won as defender, a fact which made my frustration even bigger.
    Went back to Dueling and FFA servers after this, trying to get some tips from people who are better then me.
    95% of them were unfriendly as HELL, the rest told me to play TO.

At the current state, I dont see a way how i can keep playing the game. Its nearly impossible to get experience in games and unlock new weapons.
    Every gamemode except the dueling is just a big “5 Knights + 5 archer vs 1 dude” -gangfight.
    Some of the game mechanics are just not plausible for me, for example the not-working block sometimes and the whole feint-thing.

I tried to play knight with shield+bastardsword and wanted to unlock the falchion, but i never get any kills to do so.

I played a few games in my life, but NONE of them made me want to cry like Chivalry does, its just the most frustratin piece of software i ever experienced, and i really regret buying it.

Thanks for reading and feel free to tell me your opinion on this

Greetings and sorry for my bad english, its not my first language :D

• @seimsen:

Hey Forum Guys and Girls.
    Im here to let you know my first Impressions of the game.
    I discovered Chivalry through a video on youtube that a friend sent me, a montage of various bugs and funny accidents.

What made me laugh the most was the voice acting.

Now, last weekend, the game went on Steam-Sale (-66%) and i used my last money to buy it together with a friend.
    We had fun in our first few matches as archers, just spamming arrows and dying.

After this first funny games, i tried to play solo to get better at the game mechanics.

Thats where it started to go downhill.

The forum here told me that the best way to sharpen your fighting skills is to play on a duel server, so i joined one and startet to battle.

Won my first games, but then some veteran just stomped me with some tactics which i didnt know how to handle.
    The frustration grew bigger and bigger, and he finally told me to play TO first to get better, cause Duel Servers are mostly used by veterans.

I followed his advice, playing only the game mode with the corpse wagon and the bomb.
    In this games, i NEVER won as defender, a fact which made my frustration even bigger.
    Went back to Dueling and FFA servers after this, trying to get some tips from people who are better then me.
    95% of them were unfriendly as HELL, the rest told me to play TO.

At the current state, I dont see a way how i can keep playing the game. Its nearly impossible to get experience in games and unlock new weapons.
    Every gamemode except the dueling is just a big “5 Knights + 5 archer vs 1 dude” -gangfight.
    Some of the game mechanics are just not plausible for me, for example the not-working block sometimes and the whole feint-thing.

I tried to play knight with shield+bastardsword and wanted to unlock the falchion, but i never get any kills to do so.

I played a few games in my life, but NONE of them made me want to cry like Chivalry does, its just the most frustratin piece of software i ever experienced, and i really regret buying it.

Thanks for reading and feel free to tell me your opinion on this

Greetings and sorry for my bad english, its not my first language :D

I’m sorry that your experiences thus far have been so negative. In its current state, many of us are dissuaded with the game. However, if you have any particular questions regarding combat or defense, I would be glad to do my best to give you answers if I am capable. Many of us were willing to take the beating to keep going and improve, but it has become apparent that other opinions differ. Please do not succumb to your frustration, as I would like to try and help!

• Certainly unusual that a montage of bugs would actually attract someone to a game. :?

But yes it will be tricky to get the hang of it as a new player when so many players have already put hundreds of hours into it.

There are some rank restricted servers about which might help to avoid the veteran guys. You can filter for that in the server browser.

I actually started my first game in LTS- can’t say that was the wisest move, although I did quickly master spectator mode. :P

• Was it this video?

Because if so, it was what cemented my decision to buy the game too. And I have yet to regret it.

• Oh THAT video? Ah yeah that one was one of the ones that convinced me too. :D For some reason I thought he meant like a video of desyncs, ghost swings, failed parries and broken flying ballistas or something. I never thought of Criken’s video as being a bug montage. :P

• Just keep at it. Game has a higher skill celing than most, which is why it feels way more rewarding the day you 1vs3 some poor shmucks ;D

• @DemonicChocobo:

Was it this video?

Because if so, it was what cemented my decision to buy the game too. And I have yet to regret it.

I have a deep, profound sense of regret every time I watch that video and realize my job is to make sure amazing bugs like the ballista crazyarms are “fixed” :(

• Thanks for the replies.
    It was THAT video ;)

And maybe to name another problem that makes the game hard for me: I suck at multitasking.
    In a duel i kinda know: Now Parry, Now block, Now attack etc.

BUT if i 1v1 in a TO for example, i just cant focus on my enemy, cause 6 other guys are charging at me .

Maybe a trick to make it easier for me?

Edit: just played a few matches. 14/17 k/d . its so hard not to punch in the fucking monitor and delete my steam account when i play this game. really cant understand how people played this 100 hours + without commiting suicide

• I play TO exclusively, and I can tell you that even as a good player, running off by yourself will only lead to you getting ganged up on by 10 people. I highly suggest sticking with a group, and if you spawn with no one else, don’t engage the enemy until your team arrives to back you up. Other than that, you just need more practice to get better at the game. Like others have mentioned, there are a lot of people who have already invested a lot of time into the game, so they will start off better than you. That’s where sticking with your team and ganging up on them helps.

• You really need to keep at it. A friend of mine had purchased the game before I did(we had agreed to buy the game “eventually”), and played it for about a week and he was instantly discouraged. I disregarded everything he said and bought it anyway(Once again, Criken’s video).

I played it for a week just like he did, but caught on to the mechanics more quickly. At the end of the week I challenged him to play with me. He was so impressed that I managed to surpass him so easily that he gave the game another shot and with some slight explanations from me, he realized things weren’t quite as difficult and unintuitive as he thought it was. And we went on to play together a lot.

Then he left me for borderlands 2 forever ;_; So I said SCREW HIM and got BETTER FRIENDS.

Uh. Anyway, it really does sound like you’re going off to fight the enemy team on your own which…isn’t really a good idea.

• If you encountered such behaviour from veterans on a duel server, I feel for you, man, they drive everyone crazy.
    I´d like to call myself a veteran too but luckily I have a different approach to players I´m dueling:

rank 0-15: I stay defensive, block strike, swing, block, stab, block, overhead, rinse and repeat.
    I do not use feints,mousedrags, counter attacks or jump-stabs.

rank 15-30: I still dont use feints, rather mousedrag the crap out of them and lots of counter attacks.

rank 30 and higher: Against these players I always try to do my best. :-)

Luckily for everyone willing to learn I allow chat when dueling, when I´m playing TO I always disable chat…for good reasons!

• Thanks for the help guys!

Just found a mentor from this forum who tried to train me, but I start thinking that this just isnt the right game for me. Of course i like the setting, graphic and the idea behind it, but its just TOO discouraging and frustrating to play. Not even DotA 2 made me this fruated at the start.

Im that kind of guy who needs some successfull moments to keep going. After 6 houra play,all i got from the game is rage ,frustration and a headache. And i thought DotA is hard to learn

• @seimsen:

Thanks for the help guys!

Just found a mentor from this forum who tried to train me, but I start thinking that this just isnt the right game for me. Of course i like the setting, graphic and the idea behind it, but its just TOO discouraging and frustrating to play. Not even DotA 2 made me this fruated at the start.

Im that kind of guy who needs some successfull moments to keep going. After 6 houra play,all i got from the game is rage ,frustration and a headache. And i thought DotA is hard to learn

I have 170 hours in this game and I didn’t start doing good until about 60-80 hours, and I didn’t start getting top scores in pubs until about 160 hours

• @seimsen:

Thanks for the replies.
    It was THAT video ;)

And maybe to name another problem that makes the game hard for me: I suck at multitasking.
    In a duel i kinda know: Now Parry, Now block, Now attack etc.

BUT if i 1v1 in a TO for example, i just cant focus on my enemy, cause 6 other guys are charging at me .

Maybe a trick to make it easier for me?

Edit: just played a few matches. 14/17 k/d . its so hard not to punch in the fucking monitor and delete my steam account when i play this game. really cant understand how people played this 100 hours + without commiting suicide

I got the game during the last Christmas Holiday as it looked like some fun and quite interesting…. but when I first started playing, I was exactly like you.

No matter what I did or what game mode I played, I got school’d hard, by new and old players alike. I got pretty frustrated and stopped playing for about a week and a half. After a break, I thought “Well, I paid for this game, and I should give it a bit more of a chance”… so I went back to the training mission thing to figure things out a bit better… tweaked some controls to something that worked well for me and then jumped back in.

I still got killed a lot, but I also ended up killing a few guys at the same time in some pretty stylish ways that impressed me.

I learned that as a new player, I should not lead the charge and head for a mass of enemies, but follow some of the other guys and provide some support by attacking guys they’re not focused on who are about to attack them.

An average player will usually get a 1:1 ratio of kills and deaths, so if you get this ratio or close, you did well.

Basically just give it some time… it’s frustrating at first, but you eventually figure out what works for you most times and it gets addictive.

I’m rank 30+ something and I still get killed a lot, especially in FFA and TO matches.

I like Duels, and it is a good way to train yourself to figure out different moves against different tactics, but at the same time, Duels can be harder than TO or FFA and it’s good for training in the game when you already have the basics figured out well… but starting out, Duels will most likely get you killed a lot.

I would recommend Capture the Flag matches to get used to the game… stick to defense and stick by the flag while the rest of the team hits the enemy head on… eventually you have one or two guys make it through who are already beaten up a bit and are generally focused on trying to grab the flag… they usually make for easy prey, especially when you have another team mate or two with you defending.

I went through an entire CTF match as a defending Knight just hanging by the flag and ended up having piles of kills and only dying once… which was a TK from a Vanguard who swung a little too far my way than the enemy’s.

Oh and a tip… when you are low on health, stop running around or swinging and your health starts to regenerate after a couple of seconds. So if you make it through a fight and kill the other guy, if you have the chance, fall back and regenerate your health… I didn’t know I could do this for a couple of months of playing and once I did, I didn’t die as often and got my KD ratio pretty good.

This is one of those games where you just accept that you are going to die a lot… Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm is one of those games as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re new to the game or have hundreds of hours under your belt… you will die a lot. Everybody does.

If you can kill three guys in one life, be impressed with yourself. If you kill one guy in one life, that’s pretty normal.