My ideas to improve this game.

Why the shields are unbreakable? I think it should be possible to break your foe’s shield if you hit it with heavy blows a dozen few times. Every shield should have their own HP bar or there should be more advanced system of it if you have better ideas. Of course pavise should be much harder to break than normal shield and the normal shield should be harder to break than a buckler.

2. Shields should be able to break. There also should be a low chance that your weapon get broken. The sword is just a piece of steel and the axe is a bunch of steel on top of the wooden handle. Everything can get broken. If you want to make a medieval-fighting-simulator, please make shields and weapons breakable.

3. Invasion mode
    New game mode. All players are in one team and they’re standing in a castle/fort/village/whatever. Big hordes of bots are charging them and the players have to survive as long as possible(complete as big number of waves as possible). Horde mode should be a big fun.

4. If javelin (which is quite heavy object, much more than bolts/arrows) is stuck in a shield, it should make it slower/harder to use, should require more stamina to block any incoming attack etc.

5. New map.
    Just an open sea and two ships. One ship belongs to the Masons and one ship belongs to the Agathians. On the beginning of the round one ship is at long distance to the second. Both ships are moving forward and going to the boarding. After one ship boards to the other, there will be a fight on these ships. This map should be the best for TDM or LTS. This also should be good for TO, where you have to capture your foe’s ship and don’t let them capture your ship.

You can place two ballistas on both ships to make easier killing enemies while the boarding didn’t began yet.

• This isn’t a medieval-fighting-simulator.

• @Alyx:

This isn’t a medieval-fighting-simulator.

^This

Also, if your sword or axe breaks in combat it’s a very low quality and ill-maintained weapon you’ve got there. Embarassing!

Also, it would be tedious in such a past-paced game. It’s called a medieval FPS slasher, not a combat simulator. Because then we have to count in all sorts of realistic stuff, like pain and fear and how a lot of weapons can’t penetrate plate armour etc.

• @Alyx:

In some ways it is. The visceral sounds, the slow footspeed and stamina. This isn’t exactly pokemon.

His suggestion would add more depth to the game and make it more fun and immersive. Are you against these things? I don’t know why people dismiss ideas that will make the game more badass. And it’s not that hard to make shields break and provide backup ones strewn throughout the map.

• Also, if your sword or axe breaks in combat it’s a very low quality and ill-maintained weapon you’ve got there. Embarassing!

Even if it is very good quality, it still isn’t unbreakable.

I have another good idea: New map.
    Just an open sea and two ships. One ship belongs to the Masons and one ship belongs to the Agathians. On the beginning of the round one ship is at long distance to the second. Both ships are moving forward and going to the boarding. After one ship boards to the other, there will be a fight on these ships. This map should be the best for TDM or LTS. This also should be good for TO, where you have to capture your foe’s ship and don’t let them capture your ship.

You can place two ballistas on both ships to make easier killing enemies while the boarding didn’t began yet.

• @Magnificent:

@Alyx York:

In some ways it is. The visceral sounds, the slow footspeed and stamina. This isn’t exactly pokemon.

His suggestion would add more depth to the game and make it more fun and immersive. Are you against these things? I don’t know why people dismiss ideas that will make the game more badass. And it’s not that hard to make shields break and provide backup ones strewn throughout the map.

This game is not even close to real combat. His suggestion wouldn’t add more depth, it would just make it more tedious and unbalanced. This game is not for immersion, it has hardly any plot and it’s over-the-top as all hell which is fine, it’s a video game.

• @Alyx:

@Magnificent Bastard:

@Alyx York:

This game is not even close to real combat. His suggestion wouldn’t add more depth, it would just make it more tedious and unbalanced. This game is not for immersion, it has hardly any plot and it’s over-the-top as all hell which is fine, it’s a video game.

It’s only over-to-top in a few areas: such as taunts and silly gore effects. Otherwise the game strives to be a gritty put-yourself-in-the-helmet medieval melee game.

And you don’t even explain why his proposed feature wouldn’t add depth and market he game unbalanced. If you’re going to assert something like that, then back it up with some reasoning and examples. You’re dismissing arbitrarily, which is fine if you don’t want to make sense.

• I’m thinking like this - unless you’re really skilled or just fighting noobs, you’re gonna kill between 1-7 guys on average each life. If your sword or shield breaks from fighting just five opponents, that’s the shittiest sword and shield you managed to find. The game is too fast-paced. You die real quick, having your gear break during that time would just be tedious.

On the other hand, if the game had been designed so that the average life span was much much longer, then I would accept weapons and shields breaking. But this is not that game. I would enjoy that kind of game, as well. But it’s not Chivalry.

A realistic kind of game which would feature weapons and shields breaking from too much stress would also feature armour actually stopping blows from killing you. And that would have to be balanced, because if classed would be like in Chivalry, everyone’s going to play as a knight. Few things beat plate armour (era-wise.)

I could make this post huge, with loads of ideas of how such a game would look like, how mechanics and gameplay would work, etc. But this topics is about “improving this game” and as I said, this isn’t really fit for Chivalry. It’s already designed the way it is, a FPS Medieval Slasher.

• @Magnificent:

And you don’t even explain why his proposed feature wouldn’t add depth and market he game unbalanced. If you’re going to assert something like that, then back it up with some reasoning and examples. You’re dismissing arbitrarily, which is fine if you don’t want to make sense.

The same could be said about the opposite. Why do you assume something like breaking weapons and shields adds depth? Just because you add something or involve another factor doesn’t necessarily mean it has good synergy with the rest of the gameplay. Besides, if things are going to break, does that mean they need to be repaired? Oh joy, you get to run back to spawn. I’m sure everybody will appreciate that.

• @Tower:

@Magnificent Bastard:

The same could be said about the opposite. Why do you assume something like breaking weapons and shields adds depth? Just because you add something or involve another factor doesn’t necessarily mean it has good synergy with the rest of the gameplay. Besides, if things are going to break, does that mean they need to be repaired? Oh joy, you get to run back to spawn. I’m sure everybody will appreciate that.

Variety is the spice of life. With enough brainpower, you can make it work. I believe in you, buddy. Why so pessimistic?

• Breakable weapons should be good but only if there is an option to take the weapon that belongs to lying on the ground dead foe or ally.

And I think at least shields should be breakable. I like breakable shields in Mount&Blade(and breakable spears, lances etc in mods). Yeah, I know Chivalry isn’t M&B and I can stop bitching and go playing M&B, but… I just think this breaking system should be also good in Chivalry.

But… What do you think about my other ideas? What about 3, 4 and 5?

• realism is cool for me, but chivalry has never really been centered around realism. breaking weapons on the surface seems cool. in medieval warfare, did you know that people would carry sword breakers - large rods of metal, which they would swing to meet a foe’s sword to shatter it? it was common for weapons to break.

however, think of the impact this change would have on gameplay. most of us who care enough to go on these forums want to preserve and protect the elevated skill ceiling of this game. if, during combat, our weapons randomly break, that’s just another thing taken away from your control. i personally do not like to get beaten because of things that i can not control.

• But weapons weapons should break very, very rarely. But should be breakable. Shields should break more often, as it is in M&B Warband.

• i’ll agree to disagree with you. outmatching an opponent by parrying his strikes and having my weapon broken for doing it just isn’t appealing to me personally. that particular form of immersion is like a playing field leveler… and we need to stay as far away from leveling playing fields as possible.

shields… maybe i could get behind that. but realistically tower and heater shields wouldn’t be broken apart by any of chivalry’s weapons. maybe a maul or polehammer would place dents and holes in them… but from that force the shield bearer would crumble underneath before the shield actually broke.
    logically the buckler could break, but adding this mechanic to the buckler would just handicap further an already gimped out POS piece of equipment.

• @magilla:

i’ll agree to disagree with you. outmatching an opponent by parrying his strikes and having my weapon broken for doing it just isn’t appealing to me personally. that particular form of immersion is like a playing field leveler… and we need to stay as far away from leveling playing fields as possible.

shields… maybe i could get behind that. but realistically tower and heater shields wouldn’t be broken apart by any of chivalry’s weapons. maybe a maul or polehammer would place dents and holes in them… but from that force the shield bearer would crumble underneath before the shield actually broke.
    logically the buckler could break, but adding this mechanic to the buckler would just handicap further an already gimped out POS piece of equipment.

To me the buckler isn’t gimped at all. It raises up very fast and can also attack quickly. It’s not a pure shield, it’s more like a weapon/shield. I mostly use footwork and then block with buckler when absolutely necessary.