CPU is the bottleneck for most people.

• Hello guys.

Many times in the various threads I’ve seen people talk about their FPS being crap. Almost always these people think it is their GPU that is causing it. When upon further investigation it is generally the CPU that is holding it back.

Behind the following:

[image:j73rodwh]http://s13.postimg.org/rpy794fw6/F5999_EC00_B9_F5_E67_CF0_B1_C8_A48_A426_AB01174_B39.jpg[/image:j73rodwh]

What you see is a graph and some info along the side.
    Stat Unit
    Stat UnitGraph

are the console commands used to get this up.

Now that Green line is the Frame rendering time in ms, the higher that is, the lower your FPS. It is an average of 10 frames.
    The red line is the Game rendering time in ms, this is pretty much CPU dependent.

As you can see the Frame rendering time is almost correlated 100% with the game thread. Whilst the yellow line is the GPU rendering time. In times of no action, without players about the game time is low and the Yellow line is the limiting factor.

So if, like me, your CPU is the bottle neck, your STAT UNITGRAPH will look similar. So before you all go spending $$$'s on new GPU’s to get better FPS go and check this graph in-game to really see what is holding you back.

If the devs could mention ANYTHING that helps with CPU related bottlenecks via tweaking unreal engine stuffs it would be appreciated. One of the biggest things you can do now about it, is to set Ragdolls to a low number, mine is set to 5 (bodies stay rendered for 5 seconds). As each ragdoll chews up a lot of CPU time it seems.

Hope this enlightens some people.

• Yeah, I suspected this because when I look at my GPU usage it’s only around 30-60%, while in other games it’s almost always at 99%.
    Although my CPU is a few years old, it’s still a decent one and should handle the game.

Chivalry reminds me a lot of Red Orchestra 2, performance wise. Both are UE3 games and both run subpar compared to other games.
    Probably doesn’t help much that my CPU and GPU are both from AMD.

• You´re so right about CPU being the bottleneck. I´ve been playing the game for 8 months now only running on 20-30 FPS in team games: Extremely frustrating, that mouse lag kills basicly any gained skill, not to mention it sometimes looks like flippy book and I cant tell what is going on :? :?

• Unreal Engine 3 is primarily a CPU focused Engine that requires multiple cores, preferably a quad core. In saying that, it generally puts most of the load on one core and the others are kind of a backup thing.

Some think if you can code it so that the load is spread out amongst the cores, it’ll run smoother, but it’ll actually make the game perform worse.

So you need to have a good CPU for UE3 games… Video Cards help, but you need both being decent.

My CPU is more than good for the game, but the first week I owned Chivalry, I only had a GeForce 210 and my FPS was around 5 - 10 at the lowest settings, Where RO2 ran at 28-32 fps at medium/high settings.

Now with my GTX660 Ti Twin Frozr III, both games are maxed in graphics and FPS is 60+.

So both go hand in hand.

• They do, unless your already own a decent GPU and the CPU is bottlenecking you.

Twin Frozr III <3 my 560ti is one.

• Well my CPU is pretty weak compared to the standards today. But it works pretty well to me depending on the map and the number of players.
    I have set ragdolls to 30 secs. 32players on Battlegrounds usually work well. But not when the bombcart is right in front of the gate and everybody goes there (if your team isn’t full of idiots).

I have a 2x 2.93 GHz CPU.

A little question: Do blood decals have a big performance hit? I don’t think so. I have them set to maximum but don’t notice any performance hit. But does someone have another experience?

• I definitely know its not the CPU that’s bottlenecking me. It is my GPU.

• try this - it gives me some extra frames. works in win 7, don’t know about any others. start up chivalry and let it load. then alt+tab to get back to the desktop. right click on the tool bar at the bottom of your screen, click on task manager, click processes. look for chiv - it’s udk something. right click on it, select set priority and set to high. works fine for me. thanks catsponge for the tip.

• This post is deleted!

• Amd phenom x4 965 and an ati 7770

Can’t turn on dynamic lightning because my fps go down to 40.

• I wouldn’t be surprised. I only have an i5-2300 at 2.8 GHz, and when my fps drops down to 40 or so, my GPU usage still hovers around 60-70 percent.

• @AbyssusAther:

Amd phenom x4 965 and an ati 7770

Can’t turn on dynamic lightning because my fps go down to 40.

…I’m always praying my fps doesn’t go below 40 :/

I’m still hoping TB will improve on the CPU need of the game, so we can get a reasonable framerate. But I think they said once that isn’t going to happen :(

• @Falc:

I’m still hoping TB will improve on the CPU need of the game, so we can get a reasonable framerate. But I think they said once that isn’t going to happen :(

So unless you have an i7 you’ll have to play with crappy fps forever?

• @AbyssusAther:

@Falc:

So unless you have an i7 you’ll have to play with crappy fps forever?

Some people can’t play at all…

• I can confirm this. I was getting quite low fps before, even with a gtx 770, but my bios was underclocking my cpu (i5 2500k) to 2.39 ghz. I flashed it, now I’m up to 4.0 ghz and the frame rate is very smooth, almost consistently 60+ fps even on 32 player citadel, battlefield, etc…

Cpu is very important for chivalry.

• I am well familiar with much of what you speak as far as performance issues go.

My stats:
    Intel Quad core duo 2.8 over clocked to just over 3.0 (SoftFSB to overclock the front side bus because intel’s bios has no options)
    Gtx 560TI on a PCIe 1 slot.
    6 gigs of ram
    Win 7

Through the many tweaks, some I have posted in the forums, I manage 120.fps on many maps. But depending on map and really how many players my fps drops to around 50. Citadel- ugh usually drops to 20s and 30s. I know many of you are like WTF? You are complaining? Yeah because visually I have everything turned off and it is an ugly pig. I have even gone farther into the *.ini files and turned down many of the rendering like textures and number of things that get rendered.

It is true that max cpu usage is 60%, it should be higher. I use Advanced system Care 5 to turn off unnecessary processes before I play but Razer also has a game booster available for free that can do the same thing. (http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster) The biggest boost is setting the game priority to “High” in the task manager but I found program called Priority Service (http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html) that adds the ability to save application priority settings via right clicking the process and setting it as it adds extra options in the task manager so that once you set it, it will load with that priority. I have also used the texture program that optimizes game textures. (there is a thread in the tech support section about it)

That being said, I will post up in the tech support thread my current tweaked game.ini, engine.ini, and my systemsettings.ini for you to test. I have these files tweaked and also set to read only so that Chiv will not over write them as it has a tendency to do. I will come back here and edit in the link to the thread.

Now that may help many of you once you play with it. But that is really not the issue. The issue is the game itself not being properly optimized along with the crappy net code. There really isn’t much you can do about it that I have found. I have not found a way to have the CPU to process any more than the 60% which in most cases is the bottle neck on older PCs.

I am also testing, unparking CPUs, here is a small program and information about this issue. What is claimed is that by unparking your CPUs, it stops Windows from parking or pausing one or more of your CPUs and forces all of them to run at the same time. This may be quite a boost and is reported to help video game stutter. http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/D … ng-Utility

Finally there is also the option of turning off your virtual memory or page file. It is virtual memory placed on your hard drive. But since your hard drive is much slower than your ram, turn it off. While there is much debate about this. I would say that if you have over 8 gigs of ram, turn it off unless you use high memory programs like photoshop or 3d rendering programs that need it.

• It never makes sense to me how a game can lag with cpu and gpu both being under 60% use. If it’s lagging, why doesn’t it just use the rest of the potential of the hardware? Is it that hard to code it so it makes full use of whatever hardware it’s operating on?

• @Retsnom:

I am well familiar with much of what you speak as far as performance issues go.

My stats:
    Intel Quad core duo 2.8 over clocked to just over 3.0 (SoftFSB to overclock the front side bus because intel’s bios has no options)
    Gtx 560TI on a PCIe 1 slot.
    6 gigs of ram
    Win 7

Through the many tweaks, some I have posted in the forums, I manage 120.fps on many maps. But depending on map and really how many players my fps drops to around 50. Citadel- ugh usually drops to 20s and 30s. I know many of you are like WTF? You are complaining? Yeah because visually I have everything turned off and it is an ugly pig. I have even gone farther into the *.ini files and turned down many of the rendering like textures and number of things that get rendered.

It is true that max cpu usage is 60%, it should be higher. I use Advanced system Care 5 to turn off unnecessary processes before I play but Razer also has a game booster available for free that can do the same thing. (http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster) The biggest boost is setting the game priority to “High” in the task manager but I found program called Priority Service (http://www.prnwatch.com/prio.html) that adds the ability to save application priority settings via right clicking the process and setting it as it adds extra options in the task manager so that once you set it, it will load with that priority. I have also used the texture program that optimizes game textures. (there is a thread in the tech support section about it)

That being said, I will post up in the tech support thread my current tweaked game.ini, engine.ini, and my systemsettings.ini for you to test. I have these files tweaked and also set to read only so that Chiv will not over write them as it has a tendency to do. I will come back here and edit in the link to the thread.

Now that may help many of you once you play with it. But that is really not the issue. The issue is the game itself not being properly optimized along with the crappy net code. There really isn’t much you can do about it that I have found. I have not found a way to have the CPU to process any more than the 60% which in most cases is the bottle neck on older PCs.

I am also testing, unparking CPUs, here is a small program and information about this issue. What is claimed is that by unparking your CPUs, it stops Windows from parking or pausing one or more of your CPUs and forces all of them to run at the same time. This may be quite a boost and is reported to help video game stutter. http://www.coderbag.com/Programming-C/D … ng-Utility

Finally there is also the option of turning off your virtual memory or page file. It is virtual memory placed on your hard drive. But since your hard drive is much slower than your ram, turn it off. While there is much debate about this. I would say that if you have over 8 gigs of ram, turn it off unless you use high memory programs like photoshop or 3d rendering programs that need it.

I don’t think ANY person should go through that number of tweaks in order to get a decent frame rate. This needs to be addressed quickly.

• @AbyssusAther:

I don’t think ANY person should go through that number of tweaks in order to get a decent frame rate. This needs to be addressed quickly.

Gee ya think? Still not addressed since it was released. They expect everyone to have a gaming machine in order to play it.

• Texture resolution and many other purely graphical setting will not affect you CPU, it’s all done on the GPU. So reducing certain graphics settings isn’t necessary if you are bottle necked by the CPU.

You guys are missing the point.

I showed a method that you can use, easily, to narrow down just where your system is having trouble with chivalry. You can also use it to optimise your tweaks. Start increasing graphics settings for example until the yellow line starts to become the issue that decreases FPS, which if your CPU bound probably won’t happen with >10 players about.