Duel Against Running Archer -> Waste of Time

• I just finished a 6 minute long duel with an archer who insisted on running around AOCDuel_Moor shouting “help me” over and over. While it may have been funny to him, it was a complete waste of my time. I got very close to him with the chase mechanic a few times, but never close enough to land a hit. It felt cheap and lame. I ended up hitting F10 on the third and final round because he landed an arrow to my leg (with shield up) at the very beginning of the round, meaning he would have won anyway after the time limit expired.

Please figure out how a way to fix this annoying issue.

Why is the archer class even allowed to participate in the duels? It doesn’t make much sense, since they’re a ranged class, and the melee classes are unable to use ranged weapons in duels.

Thanks.

(Forgive me if this is in the wrong sub-forum)

• Why is the archer class even allowed to participate in the duels? It doesn’t make much sense, since they’re a ranged class, and the melee classes are unable to use ranged weapons in duels.

I’ve been wanting this for the longest of time. People don’t realize how ridiculous it can be fighting a very skilled archer in a duel. A pro archer will land a shot on you inevitably, shield or not and the the shortsword is borderline OP.

• @Jstorm:

Why is the archer class even allowed to participate in the duels? It doesn’t make much sense, since they’re a ranged class, and the melee classes are unable to use ranged weapons in duels.

I’ve been wanting this for the longest of time. People don’t realize how ridiculous it can be fighting a very skilled archer in a duel. A pro archer will land a shot on you inevitably, shield or not and the the shortsword is borderline OP.

Shortsword definitely needs balancing. Part of the problem is the same as with the new broadsword, the stab animation is quite deceiving. For whatever reason, the character model lunges very far forward while stabbing, and it creates a deceptive range. In my opinion, stab damage and combo times need slight adjustments. While it is nice the other archer weapons are now viable, I think the shortsword still remains a bit too viable.

Also, most duel servers just have a no projectile rule or kick. I understand that official servers probably don’t and/or dont have anyone on at most times to enforce it. I’m sure there is an easy fix, perhaps a server option to allow it in half the officials, and disabled in the other half.

Edit: Oh and back to the original topic, chase mechanic for those classes needs reworking, I’ve literally had the same thing happen and was essentially kited endlessly.

• Yeah this is insanely annoying. It’s especially bad in FFA where there is no chase mechanic, so archers can just run away forever and it is literally impossible to catch them.

Even with the chase mechanic I find by them time you get close enough to hit someone with a medium to small range weapon you end up bumping into them and slowing down just enough to put you out of range.

And yes, allowing archers in duel servers is ridiculous, especially considering duel servers take away throwing axes and knives from non-archers.

• @Dev.:

Yeah this is insanely annoying. It’s especially bad in FFA where there is no chase mechanic, so archers can just run away forever and it is literally impossible to catch them.

Even with the chase mechanic I find by them time you get close enough to hit someone with a medium to small range weapon you end up bumping into them and slowing down just enough to put you out of range.

And yes, allowing archers in duel servers is ridiculous, especially considering duel servers take away throwing axes and knives from non-archers.

is there no chase mechanic in FFA? i was wondering why i didnt seem to be gaining on dem archers…. Why isnt that mechanic in FFA?

• Because everyone is on the same ‘team’. Hence why you can read peoples team-chat.

• Get archers out of duels and all these problems will go away.

This is a gamemode which is for 1v1 melee fights. Either remove archers, strip them of their ranged weapons, or add the option to avoid fighting them.

• @Goden:

Get archers out of duels and all these problems will go away.

Go play FFA duels, then.

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Goden:

Get archers out of duels and all these problems will go away.

Go play FFA duels, then.

And then archers just join the server and randomly shoot people until they get kicked. Rinse and repeat. There is a reason why we have duels as an official gamemode and we don’t use classic duels anymore. You spend more time votekicking randomers than you do actually dueling.

If I wanted to deal with archers I would play LTS or TO or FFA. I want to have 1v1 melee matches and yet when I play duels I still have to deal with archers shooting me in the face from across the starting position and then running indefinitely when I get close to him.

(Please don’t use the pathetic “shield!” argument. Any archer with 1/4 of a brain can shoot around a shield with no difficulties. Either that or they just wait until you get close and shotgun you.)

• @Goden:

(Please don’t use the pathetic “shield!” argument. Any archer with 1/4 of a brain can shoot around a shield with no difficulties. Either that or they just wait until you get close and shotgun you.)

Any idiot with half a brain can avoid arrows without a shield. The shield makes it that much harder. Foot shots do practically no damage either, even if they do hit you.

• I don’t even know why the restrict the throwables yet allow Archers as an option in Duel mode.

And I’m not even going to bother with trying to explain the dumb shit decision to buff a classes melee functionality when his fucking premise is being the strongest class at range and the weakest in close range (even though he’s basically a MaA without a dodge when he pulls out his secondary).

• Giving archers a slightly lower movement speed (maybe as low as vans) would be interesting to test out as balance. I do love to play shortsword archer for the backstab bonus so it would cramp that playstyle but honestly it’s a bit cheesy and intrudes mightily on the MAA niche. Actually just move the backstab ability to MAA and they’ll be great choices in team battles, it even fits their “personality” way better than it does the archer.

• @Helgeran:

Actually just move the backstab ability to MAA and they’ll be great choices in team battles

Oh god I can actually taste the tears now that I think about it. :D

• @Helgeran:

Giving archers a slightly lower movement speed (maybe as low as vans) would be interesting to test out as balance. I do love to play shortsword archer for the backstab bonus so it would cramp that playstyle but honestly it’s a bit cheesy and intrudes mightily on the MAA niche. Actually just move the backstab ability to MAA and they’ll be great choices in team battles, it even fits their “personality” way better than it does the archer.

^this

• @NoVaLombardia:

@Goden:

Any idiot with half a brain can avoid arrows without a shield. The shield makes it that much harder. Foot shots do practically no damage either, even if they do hit you.

Whaaat? Absolutely not. Good archers will hit you on your approach consistently, often even with a shield raised. I don’t run in a straight line, but there’s only so much zig zagging you can do.

• Lol, that archer was just trolling you. I do similar things to all the noobs in the duel servers these days. As for archer balance in duels, they are fine. Sure they are annoying to fight, but get into melee range and they are at a disadvantage.

• @wyrda78:

Lol, that archer was just trolling you. I do similar things to all the noobs in the duel servers these days. As for archer balance in duels, they are fine. Sure they are annoying to fight, but get into melee range and they are at a disadvantage.

So what you’re saying is you choose to play like a dick on purpose.

• a guy with a name usainbolt did that in all duels during a match i played,i only managed to kill him once

• Get this fucking trash out of duels please.

Would be most fantastic.

• Duel is 1v1 non-ranged. Archer is at a disadvantage in that scenario as everybody seems to imply. Why even play archer then? Obviously just to troll and fuck around, because you can. Just get rid of it in duel, it doesn’t belong there.