What the difference between shields?

• Other than the obvious size differences, what makes each shield different? For example, on MAA, why would I ever choose a Buckler over the Heater? Are there run speed differences? Block time differences (they seem negligible from my experience if so)? What? The descriptions are a bit vague.

Also, I’ve heard varying things. Is there any difference between Knight’s 2H versus 2H+Shield?

• Larger shields drain less stamina when blocking attacks, but also drop more slowly, thus slower counterattacks.

Knight swords deal more damage when used twohanded, and swing faster onehanded.

• Personally I find knight swords smaller and shorter range with 1h but everyone swears they’re not.

• Tower shield blocks your vision and buckler shield has the blocking area of a piece of lint and lets attacks through constantly.

There you go. Your shield choice is narrowed down to 1 per class.

• @SOC:

Personally I find knight swords smaller and shorter range with 1h but everyone swears they’re not.

They look smaller visually yet feel the same length when you stab.

Maybe the Knight bends and shrinks metal with his mind when he 1 hands his swords.

• Buckler is fixed.

• Kite > Tower, because counter attacking with a tower is unbearably slow. Heater > Buckler because I just don’t trust the buckler’s small hitbox, though it may be better now after the player radius increase.

I believe 2H swords in one hand have the same physical length, but the animation itself results in shorter effective range. I’ve never found a reason to use a 2H in one hand since switching to a true 1H has always been more effective.

• @FrostFire626:

I believe 2H swords in one hand have the same physical length, but the animation itself results in shorter effective range.

In Reallife a weapon has more range then it is wielded with one handed.
    MAA broadsword actually has more range than sword of war in game at least if have hit people multible times then they could not

• @TheFunnySide:

In Reallife a weapon has more range then it is wielded with one handed.

1. Balance
    2. In real life you would (almost) never swing a longsword one-handed.

On topic: as a knight I only use shields to save myself from ranged attacks - so I prefer the towershield.

Other than that I don’t see any use for a shield at all. Maybe againt spear vanguards, but if he is not that good I can defeat him without using a shield and if he is good a shield won’t save me anyway.

• The Heater shield on the MAA is a great piece of kit. It greatly diminishes the threat of feints and you can hold block until your stamina runs out if you need to for whatever reason.
    If you don’t need the shield and would rather the riposte, then tuck it on your back and go on your merry way.

Who needs firepots, they are the bane of all that is good in this game. Archers are dishonourable, firepots are down right evil.

• IMO shields are underpowered in this game. I’d like to use a heater as maa, but I can’t because of all these stamina and speed penalties.

• @Hitom:

Buckler is fixed.

Haha no it hasn’t. I’m still seeing my enemies weapon tip soar right through my shield and hit me in the face.

Blocking with no shield is still vastly superior to the buckler.

• If you are using shields in first person view. You’re an idiot.

• @SOC:

Personally I find knight swords smaller and shorter range with 1h but everyone swears they’re not.

Faster does sort of translate to shorter range depending on how you look at it. If you’re running at someone and you swing with a faster weapon you will obviously travel less by the time the attack has wound up and released. This gives the impression of smaller range right? Conversely, a slower weapon gives the appearance of longer range when your opponent runs towards you, the warhammer and maul being the most noticeable to me.

Longer release times DO actually give weapons more effective range because coupled with forward movement they remain deadly for a longer period of time in which of course you’re advancing on the enemy. In that sense the weapon doesn’t have more range but the overall attack does.

• @Hitom:

If you are using shields in first person view. You’re an idiot.

Actually that post makes you the idiot.
    All compettetiv player use first person and some of them use shild.
    They are just good enough that seeing less doesnt hinder them