Legal question around maps

• I don’t really care, but I am lazy and did not read the SDK license agreement.

So if some 3rd party creates a map, who owns the right to that map? Can TBS include it in main content?

I am only curious because I would like to know if I created an awesome map (and I have a few ideas), whether I can recoup my costs if TBS wants to include it in main content.

If yes, then I would spend more to get the resources needed to build the map.

• It belongs to the internet

• @KONGEN:

It belongs to the internet

Internet owns nothing. Same reason you had to provide original works of art for the emblems. The copyright is owned by the original artists.

So the game content is owned by someone, the question is who.

• I wouldn’t count on TBS including your custom maps in their content releases gregcau. Modding communities are passion endeavors at its core, with donations being the primary way to make money. If you create a really nice map that people end up using a lot, I’m sure some people will end up donating.

• Taken from the TWI forums (developers of Red Orchestra):

“The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of RO2 or any Mods. Tripwire Interactive got its start as a developer because of the support Epic Games7 provides to the Mod community and we wholeheartedly support the Modding of RO2. But we need to retain all of our ownership rights in RO2 and any works derived from RO2. That’s just the way it is. So, go make some more cool stuff. But remember that you do not gain any ownership whatsoever in any RO2 content nor can you use any RO2 content outside the scope of the rights granted here.”

“Yes its pretty standard stuff that all ownership is always retained by the developer where SDK’s are released for games and all modders and mappers should be aware of this.
    But I do not believe that mappers are obligated to hand over source materials or items designed with other programmes like 3ds max?
    Its a bit of a mute point anyway as TWI have never released community content into an official game patch without the cooperation of the modder or mapper concerned and that is as it should be.”

Should apply to Chiv as well :D

• @VietViking:

Taken from the TWI forums (developers of Red Orchestra):

“The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of RO2 or any Mods. Tripwire Interactive got its start as a developer because of the support Epic Games7 provides to the Mod community and we wholeheartedly support the Modding of RO2. But we need to retain all of our ownership rights in RO2 and any works derived from RO2. That’s just the way it is. So, go make some more cool stuff. But remember that you do not gain any ownership whatsoever in any RO2 content nor can you use any RO2 content outside the scope of the rights granted here.”

“Yes its pretty standard stuff that all ownership is always retained by the developer where SDK’s are released for games and all modders and mappers should be aware of this.
    But I do not believe that mappers are obligated to hand over source materials or items designed with other programmes like 3ds max?
    Its a bit of a mute point anyway as TWI have never released community content into an official game patch without the cooperation of the modder or mapper concerned and that is as it should be.”

Should apply to Chiv as well :D

No, just because another developer says that they have ownership of community content doesnt mean all devs hold to the same ideals. Just look at somthing such as minecraft, people can own mc maps and mods or even Arma.

• Notch was actually heavily against modding to begin with. The first modding tools were community made.

Then he saw the massive positive affect it had on minecraft.

Also with minecraft modders actually make their own textures and models for things. Granted in minecradt its really easy to do. All you need is Gimp (like photoshop but free).

But for red orchestra and for chivalry you are using all their assets that they took time to make and you are just plonking them down to make a mod. So they have the right to claim it.

Like bushido thought they can make money out of their mod. But that’s means it has to stop being a mod and it has to use its own assets and stuff that they made. They even changed engine (you don’t have to go that far) to the unity engine.

But it means you can’t claim it as your own and make money off it. Because really its not yours. You he to make maps for free. They had to Payton make their game. They had to pay for the unreal engine (developers have to pay to get a license). They have to pay for their moddling software, music. Everything.

You don’t. That is why there are usually restrictions.

• @lemonater47:

Notch was actually heavily against modding to begin with. The first modding tools were community made.

Then he saw the massive positive affect it had on minecraft.

Also with minecraft modders actually make their own textures and models for things. Granted in minecradt its really easy to do. All you need is Gimp (like photoshop but free).

But for red orchestra and for chivalry you are using all their assets that they took time to make and you are just plonking them down to make a mod. So they have the right to claim it.

Like bushido thought they can make money out of their mod. But that’s means it has to stop being a mod and it has to use its own assets and stuff that they made. They even changed engine (you don’t have to go that far) to the unity engine.

But it means you can’t claim it as your own and make money off it. Because really its not yours. You he to make maps for free. They had to Payton make their game. They had to pay for the unreal engine (developers have to pay to get a license). They have to pay for their moddling software, music. Everything.

You don’t. That is why there are usually restrictions.

But aren’t modders and mapmakers able to make their own models and sounds and add them into their own projects?